You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Phil Thompson lost the plot?

Was aRdja right all along?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s better?

Thommo has had his say on Harry Maguire and it’s left me scratching my head.

”No disrespect to Leicester but I can't see him being there come the end of the transfer window. I think he would have been £50million before the World Cup and probably a bit more now. But I think he would be worth it.

“Big clubs will be after him and I'd like to think that Liverpool would be at the forefront.”

“Harry would be an upgrade (on Dejan Lovren),” said Thompson. “He's like an English version of Van Dijk.

We all know Lovren has had his moments but if thinking that he’s better than Harry Maguire is wrong, then I don’t want to be right. I’m putting it to a poll.

Maguire is better on the ball. He’s more dominant in the air and stronger physically.

Lovren has a bit more pace, and is probably a bit more aggressive (sometimes to his detriment).

Given the choice now I’d take Maguire.

Van Dijk is better than both comfortably.

Agree with some of that but i do think that Lovren far better in his recovery pace is more important. For the money talked about i would not touch Maguire. Agree to that Lovren's aggressiveness is sometimes a major weakness. 

Has to be said since he started partnering VVD he has been far better. 

• Upvote 1

Lovren had a good run towards the back end of last season. I think he'll revert to type sooner or later though. Maguire is a bit ropey defensively, probably about equal in the air, but he's great on the ball, so I think he's the better player. Neither of them are in van Dijk's class and for the money Maguire would cost he wouldn't be anywhere near worth it for us to buy him.

I mean, did Lovren's price skyrocket after the CL final?

I'd rather pay zero for a player that is a known quantity (warts and all) in this system and has shown over time to be quite effective in it.

That, as opposed to paying through the nose for a player whose biggest weakness is the most likely to be exposed in said system.

Lovren.

Maguire is a very good centre back. He’s stronger physically than Lovren and I reckon he’s better in the air. I would probably say Maguire is better carrying the ball as well. Lovren is the better footballer though overall and I think he’s better in one on ones. He’s quicker and has been playing for a side where he’s exposed and under a lot more pressure scrutiny a lot whereas Maguire hasn’t yet. For the money he’d cost now he wouldn’t be worth it but we should have been all over it when he was at Hull similar to Cahill at Bolton.

So I take it this big lump hasn't made an error that cost England a goal yet?

It will happen.

I haven't watched the World Cup, so I'm not sure how either are faring, but both have a costly error in them.

Unlike Phil Thompson, incidentally.

One lump or two?  I'd stick with the lump we know.  He's better than Leicester's lump.

• Upvote 3

Fuck me! England have almost had a bye to the semis and lost against the only half decent team they've played.Croatia have had to play Argentina,a Nigeria team that gave England a recent run for their money,a resilient Iceland,a determined Denmark and the hosts Russia. Lovren has stood up pretty well to the likes of Messi and Aguero(and I'm not Dejan's biggest fan) while Maguire has faced Championship level strikers all the way. I'd still have Lovren over the likes of 'lard arse' Maguire any day.

Guest Alex_K

England are going to come crashing to Earth with an almighty bump the moment they play a good team. The defence has teetered and wobbled variously against the illustrious Tunisia, Colombia and -at the death- Sweden so far.

They've had an even easier run of it than Utd. in the Europa League two seasons back, were it even possible.