You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local Politics

I know some lads off here are involved with the Labour Party at a local level and I’ve heard that there might be a Lib Dem as well.

I signed up as a Labour member after the last GE and so far I’ve swerved the meetings. Partly because I couldn’t be arsed but also because I don’t see myself as knowledgeable enough to get involved. I keep wanting to go and I’m in the local social media groups but I’ve just never gotten around to actually turning up.

My boy is 14, very clever, politically aware for his age, got strong opinions, and in the last few weeks he’s declared an interest in getting into politics when he’s older. So I’ve decided to put my membership to good use and get him down there for the meeting this month. I suppose now’s as good a time as any to start taking part myself.

We’re in a Tory heartland and as far as I know, the local Labour meetings are attended by less than 20 people, most of whom I engage with semi-regularly on Facebook anyway. What I’m wondering is, what actually goes on at these meetings? What should I expect?

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t worry CT, if you are in casual touch with the guys and girls at the meeting they will look after you.

Haven’t been involved for a while but there used to be a pre- meeting chat , a bit of an agenda and then possibly a social element at the end.

Could work in your lads favour if you aren’t in a Labour stronghold as it is easier to get involved as there are less members and intrigue.

• Upvote 1

Interesting times in Liverpool by all accounts, the old guard being displaced by new blood 'or trots' depending on whether you're for the boot or not. 

I'm familiar with some Labour stuff outside of Liverpool and it's some amazing shit - but in a bad way. Back biting, in fighting, pettyness the likes of which you ain't seen since Primary School. 

I'm familiar with some Labour stuff outside of Liverpool and it's some amazing shit - but in a bad way. Back biting, in fighting, pettyness the likes of which you ain't seen since Primary School.

Same in Liverpool tbh:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/gerard-woodhouse-kay-davies-labour-14871627

More trouble for Liverpool Labour as councillor is recorded calling ward colleague a 'lazy c**t'

FWIW, this sort of thing happens in all parties. My dad used to say your real enemies are in your own party; the other lot are just your opponents.

• Upvote 1

Full Labour Party member in a Labour seat both in Westminster and Cardiff.

The council is run by Tories with no overall control and has been for 6 years. It’s fucking murder here.

The local party is primarily centre left but with one or two corbyn fans.

When I was door knocking during the council elections, vast majority thought labour ran the council and thought Corbyn was an idiot. Made the job of convincing people that local candidates couldn’t be further from Corbyns policies a lot harder.

However during the general, despite being number 10 on the Tories hit list we sent the local Tory boy packing and grew our vote share.

We had First Minister come up, along with other semi/top ministers door knocking.

No one from Corbyns top team came up and Labour HQ gave us fuck all help in fighting the general. Came down to the hard work of local activist and the MP working his nuts off not just during the election but the years preceding it which staved off the Tory pretty boy.

And for that reason alone I would suggest you get down the CLP and get active, because you and only you make the difference come elections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

We’re in a Tory heartland and as far as I know, the local Labour meetings are attended by less than 20 people, most of whom I engage with semi-regularly on Facebook anyway. What I’m wondering is, what actually goes on at these meetings? What should I expect?

tumblr_n0qsxoA41m1t8e1qno1_500.gif

tumblr_n0qsxoA41m1t8e1qno1_500.gif

When is the next meeting?

I see they are big on the environment and don't like to trim any bush.

Full Labour Party member in a Labour seat both in Westminster and Cardiff.

The council is run by Tories with no overall control and has been for 6 years. It’s fucking murder here.

The local party is primarily centre left but with one or two corbyn fans.

When I was door knocking during the council elections, vast majority thought labour ran the council and thought Corbyn was an idiot. Made the job of convincing people that local candidates couldn’t be further from Corbyns policies a lot harder.

However during the general, despite being number 10 on the Tories hit list we sent the local Tory boy packing and grew our vote share.

We had First Minister come up, along with other semi/top ministers door knocking.

No one from Corbyns top team came up and Labour HQ gave us fuck all help in fighting the general. Came down to the hard work of local activist and the MP working his nuts off not just during the election but the years preceding it which staved off the Tory pretty boy.

And for that reason alone I would suggest you get down the CLP and get active, because you and only you make the difference come elections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think this was a general trend that hastened the demise of the previous Labour HQ team , as they provided no funds for a positive fight in possible gain constituencies ( probably hoping for Corbyn to get walloped ) and only provided help for sitting MP's who were their chums.

It was only the excellent work done on the ground by the likes of your CLP, and Momentum who threw some money at it,  which brought on the excellent gains & improved result.

Think this was a general trend that hastened the demise of the previous Labour HQ team , as they provided no funds for a positive fight in possible gain constituencies ( probably hoping for Corbyn to get walloped ) and only provided help for sitting MP's who were their chums.

It was only the excellent work done on the ground by the likes of your CLP, and Momentum who threw some money at it, which brought on the excellent gains & improved result.

I actually heard differently from my niece who does a bit of that stuff up here in the Merseyside/Cheshire area.

If I am wrong and McNicol was providing money for potential Leftist MP's to win seats then I stand corrected , but I remember the reports that Labour HQ were that convinced of getting battered that they changed the key card passes code before the ballot closed to keep certain people out , and there would have been more money to fight the election if they hadn't wasted so much on anti-democratic legal actions.

If I am wrong and McNicol was providing money for potential Leftist MP's to win seats then I stand corrected , but I remember the reports that Labour HQ were that convinced of getting battered that they changed the key card passes code before the ballot closed to keep certain people out , and there would have been more money to fight the election if they hadn't wasted so much on anti-democratic legal actions.

Could simply have been a regional thing I suppose.

Could simply have been a regional thing I suppose.

Expose in the Times today about the last election shenanigans , gist of it posted on the Corbyn thread. Sure I saw a headline on some website or other that McNicol has resigned from the Labour Party.

I used to go to mine just to hear the MP refer to us as "comrades".

Moved away and now just follow from afar.

My wife got involved in the last Labour campaign.

My Labour Party membership card still has Clause 4 printed on it.

Anyway, CT - get learning the national anthem, it looks like you've been bitten!

• 2 months later...