You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the E.U. 2nd vote

Anny Road

I'd say yes simply because we didn't know what Brexit would look like or what the consequences are going to be. Within a matter of months we'll be able to see very visibly if 'Project Fear' has any real legitimacy. It's equally fair to suggest that it may look very different to what either remainers or leavers described during the last referendum.

I voted remain through no love of the EU but simply because both leaving camps didn't define in any detail how we would leave and I didn't believe any government would be competent enough to deliver a potentially deeply flawed project.

It was a political manoeuvre by Cameron that back-fired that will leave us poorer by any measure when the dust settles,. Long shot now but a second vote and a remain win would be the cheapest and quickest end to the whole sorry mess.. A lot of politicians would lose face and their jobs but I'm sure they would be happy to do that for the good of the country !

And this is why there's no point in a second referendum.

You'd hope that the remainers who didn't bother the last time would get their fingers out, vote & put this utter farce to bed.

Alas it won't happen & we're off to Hell in a tory handcart.

It’s the biggest political topic of the minute.

It isn't.

The question last time was "remain or leave" - in other words "stick with what you've got or open the mystery box?" Nobody is suggesting a rerun of that.

The topic now is whether people should get a vote on accepting or rejecting whatever deal the Tories bring back from their negotiations.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Obviously we should, if we are a democracy. Democracy isn't a one-off event that happened once and now that vast amounts of more information and a much clearer picture of what it means to leave the EU is available, we should ask to be sure. If we still say yes, knowing the things we didn't before about what it actually will look like and what type of Brexit we will have, then it's a yes. If it's a no, then it's a no. If things change after that, ask again. 

I mean, this isn't difficult really. 

Remain then and now.  In broad terms the whole shit-show has panned out as I expected. Experts explained the ramifications and cunts like Farage ridiculed them. People believed Farage because it sat with skewed view of the effect the EU was having in immigration, sovereignty and their lot in life  

The EU and the UK have a 50% similar name as they both have a U in their names. I don't know if this has any relevance or if the decision to stay or leave is any clearer as a result. I just felt it was important to point it out. 

U. 

• 6 months later...