You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hernia

Scott_M

I’d been feeling a pain ‘down there’ for about 6 months so wen’t to the Dr on Friday who thinks I’ve got one pushing through. From the position, I think it’s a Femoral.

c740a5d0c4975bb78f37968cfe2110f7.png

I’ve just been told to do less strenuous activities until the hospital referral comes through.

Anybody ever had one? What treatment did you need? I’m hoping it’s just going to be a push back in rather than a strangulation one, but does a push in still need an Op?

Cheers

I had a strangulated hernia. Much more severe than your's. Had to go in as an emergency. Bastards only shaved half of my pubes, so looked ridiculous for a while. Was in hospital for about four days, and had to avoid anything strenuous for a couple of months. Also had to wear a catheter for a bit.

None of this helps you.

Had a laparoscopy (keyhole surgery) for a double inguinal hernia 9 years ago. It wasn't actually that painful either before or after the surgery, but it could get a bit uncomfortable at night when I was going to sleep. I had the surgery about 3 months after the initial diagnosis with the GP, whom I went to see after noticing that it looked a bit distended on one side in that area, together with some minor discomfort. If you think the 3 month turnaround was very quick, it would have been even quicker because the initial pencilled-in date for the surgery was 2 weeks earlier than I had it. They'd had to postpone it because the weather was bad that week and the anaesthetist was tied up at another hospital helping with some big emergency. I was more or less back to normal within a fortnight, though I avoided anything too strenuous for a good few months afterwards.

I had an inguinal hernia, didn't hurt but made my ball sack look like I'd lashed a honeydew into a sock. The surgery did leave me pretty tender and took maybe 3 weeks to fully heal but isn't that bad, just take it easy up the stairs and hobbling round etc

• Upvote 1

I had an inguinal hernia, didn't hurt but made my ball sack look like I'd lashed a honeydew into a sock. The surgery did leave me pretty tender and took maybe 3 weeks to fully heal but isn't that bad, just take it easy up the stairs and hobbling round etc

Had an inguinal one in 2016 and Remmie sums everything up beautifully here.

... it easy up the stairs and hobbling round etc

Different type of hernia but I’m sure living in 3 story house might not help...

Some surgery and what felt like a shit ton of time off school. It was great.

Time off work, especially in this weather, would certainly be welcome!

Well if you need surgery I'm sure you will feel enough effects for my advice to remain relevant

Just had open surgery done in April on an inguinal hernia, sore as fuck and took ages to heal, this week is the first time i haven't felt it anymore.  I have a cool scar as well.  Was off work for 6 weeks.

I was pretty young when I had mine (19 or 20), so that is perhaps why I may have recovered faster - about 3 weeks

What jobs do people have that means time off work is good?

Do you not have shit loads to do when you get back?

Otherwise you are pretty much redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the GP the other week. He thinks I’ve got a hernia, ultrasound 19/8.

He was saying, looking at the positioning, it could be strangled by my intestine (or whatever) which would lead to an operation.

Urgh.