You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Squeezing into a Thai boys hole.

Is your mate Ben Reymenants?

No, mate.

I wish I could unread that, absolutely terrifying stuff.

Is there any chance of the water fucking off in the next few weeks?

There's a chance it'll get higher I think?

I'm still trying to figure out how a football team that can't swim ended up in a cave full of water. I'm sure the answer will come to me.

Flash floods wasn't it? 

Although they'd gone further into the cave than they should have I think.

Watched a programme recently about some Finnish cave divers. They went into this tunnel, twisting and turning with no way to turn around, that took them about 3 km deep and then came out in another lake somewhere. One of them got stuck and the lad behind him died as well unable to turn around. The story was about their friends diving back down to retrieve the bodies.

Utterly terrifying just to listen to them describe it, but for some reason I absolutely could not take my eyes off it. Same with these Thai boys, it's horribly sad but it's just totally compelling at the same time.

I don't think there's any way you could possibly train them and then swim them out of there like some have mentioned. Cave diving is difficult for even the most well-trained divers, and a lot of it isn't about knowing what to do, it's about not panicking when something goes wrong. Apparently one of the tunnels is so narrow that the diver going in to rescue them had to remove his breathing apparatus, squeeze through, and then put it back on. That is basically my worst nightmare come to life.

So yeah, about zero chance they get the kids to swim out, especially as the monsoon season is starting and apparently soon it won't be a couple of 500m swims, but one long 3km one which takes 5 hours for the pros to do. It will either be tunneling down to them from above or else they'll be in there for the 5 months until dry season. Either way, what an ordeal for a bunch of children!

Watched a programme recently about some Finnish cave divers. They went into this tunnel, twisting and turning with no way to turn around, that took them about 3 km deep and then came out in another lake somewhere. One of them got stuck and the lad behind him died as well unable to turn around. The story was about their friends diving back down to retrieve the bodies.

On Netflix?

I can't remember what it's called but it's very good.

Took ridiculous skill and determination to get those bodies back. The guys who died were very experienced and still apparently panicked and died.

I think the cave system the Thai boys are in isn't as complex or deep (water) as that cave system but still a crazy dive for anyone, let alone novice boys.

Latest from the Beeb:

Thailand cave rescue: Diver dies while taking in supplies

Thailand cave rescue

A former Thai navy diver who joined in search efforts to rescue 12 boys and their coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand has died.

Saman Gunan, 38, lost consciousness on his way out of the Tham Luang cave complex after delivering supplies and could not be revived.

"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," said an official.

The diver had left the navy but returned to help the rescue operation.

"A former SEAL who volunteered to help died last night around 2am," Chiang Rai Deputy Governor Passakorn Boonyaluck told reporters at the rescue site.

Mr Gunan, said to be an avid runner and cyclist, was part of a massive rescue operation which started almost two weeks ago after the group went into the Tham Luang cave.

Around 1,000 people are involved in the rescue operations, including navy divers, military personnel and civilian volunteers.

From Guardian Live updates.

The chief engineer involved in the rescue mission has told the Guardian that he thinks a team may be able to drill down to where the boys are located and get them out that way.

Drilling was previously believed to be too dangerous an option, given the small space the boys and their coach are trapped in, and the fact that they are believed to be between 800m and 1km below the surface.

Thai authorities are progressing several different plans at once to try to reach the boys – including drilling a hole from the top of the mountain to find them. Thanes Weerasin, the president of the Engineering Institute of Thailand, who is supervising a drilling crew currently in the jungle above the boys, told the Guardian he was exploring one particularly promising tunnel with with a large hole about 100m into it.

“It’s a big hole, about 1.2m by 1m,” he said. “You can go down using a rope … I think this place can lead to the children because after your foot touches the ground below, you can walk through using the compass and direct it to the tunnel [where the children are stuck].”

About 20m in the direction of the boys, Weerasin said he reached another hole that was obstructed by a boulder. He wedged a borescope through a gap and saw it extended up to another 10m.

He believes the hole leads to the boys because when he lit a fire, smoke flowed quickly through cracks around the boulder, presumably because of the water being pumped from the main cave on the other side.

“It went very quickly. I think that is caused by the pumping of the water from the end of the tunnel and outside at the entrance,” he said.

He believes the hole could eventually lead to Nom Sao slope, the area past Pattaya Beach where the children and their coach are sheltering. “I think this hole is near there.”

Utterly terrifying just to listen to them describe it, but for some reason I absolutely could not take my eyes off it. Same with these Thai boys, it's horribly sad but it's just totally compelling at the same time.

I don't think there's any way you could possibly train them and then swim them out of there like some have mentioned. Cave diving is difficult for even the most well-trained divers, and a lot of it isn't about knowing what to do, it's about not panicking when something goes wrong. Apparently one of the tunnels is so narrow that the diver going in to rescue them had to remove his breathing apparatus, squeeze through, and then put it back on. That is basically my worst nightmare come to life.

So yeah, about zero chance they get the kids to swim out, especially as the monsoon season is starting and apparently soon it won't be a couple of 500m swims, but one long 3km one which takes 5 hours for the pros to do. It will either be tunneling down to them from above or else they'll be in there for the 5 months until dry season. Either way, what an ordeal for a bunch of children!

Just reading that made me hyperventilate

Saw that too.  Harrowing. 

It seemed like such an amazing story hearing that the group had been found but so quickly came the realisation of the task involved in bringing them out. The agony for those involved must be almost unbearable