You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good Music Documentaries

Lee909

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Long Hot Summers: The Story of The Style Council is on Sky Arts. Gonna watch this later. 

I watched that the other day. Enjoyable bit of nostalgia with footage from the 80s. Live Aid. Top of the Pops etc. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I think the Style Council had quite a few good tunes and still listen to them now and again. Some shite ones as well mind.

2 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

I watched that the other day. Enjoyable bit of nostalgia with footage from the 80s. Live Aid. Top of the Pops etc. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I think the Style Council had quite a few good tunes and still listen to them now and again. Some shite ones as well mind.

Yeah they did have a few shit ones like but some crackers. 

7 hours ago, El Diego said:

Sky arts tonight, decent doc about David Crosby.

Just watched that. It's really sad to see the way relationships with CSNY are so irreparably fucked after all this time.  (Also horrible to hear that dogshit version of Silent Night as the last ever CSN live performance. )

8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Just watched that. It's really sad to see the way relationships with CSNY are so irreparably fucked after all this time.  (Also horrible to hear that dogshit version of Silent Night as the last ever CSN live performance. )

Silent Night was ghastly but yes it was a bit sad about their relationships, Neil Young won't have nothing to do with him he said. 

He always struck me as a bit of an arsehole, well he said it himself, but he came across as alright, an age thing maybe? 

They done some boss music though so there's always that. 

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I went to the doctor and asked if he could give me something for a creaky hip joint.

He gave me two tickets to Ronnie Scott's.

(Courtesy of Ronnie Corbett.  Obviously.)

Have you seen that Hip Joint in the original DOA with Edmund O'Brian? Get with it. 

16 hours ago, Mook said:

Documentary about Ronnie Scott's jazz club in London is on BBC4 now, some phenomenal footage on here.

Perfect, didn’t even know there was one.

That’s going on later!

That place is special to me and my family. I’ve gigged there a number of times and bloody love it but my uncle was the house drummer at Ronnies for years, close mates with Ronnie..etc and is full of tales about backing some/hanging with of the biggest names in jazz.

He’ll just casually drop into a conversation things like;

“I was talking to Miles once and he said....etc” and you’ll have to ask who and he just comes out with “Oh Miles Davis” as if he’s the guy down the street. 

or things like

”I had breakfast with Buddy in New York once and...”

“Buddy Who?”

”Oh, Buddy Rich”

I’ll see if he makes any of the footage. He needs to write a book.  

Nice one for the heads up, Mook. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Perfect, didn’t even know there was one.

That’s going on later!

That place is special to me and my family. I’ve gigged there a number of times and bloody love it but my uncle was the house drummer at Ronnies for years, close mates with Ronnie..etc and is full of tales about backing some/hanging with of the biggest names in jazz.

He’ll just casually drop into a conversation things like;

“I was talking to Miles once and he said....etc” and you’ll have to ask who and he just comes out with “Oh Miles Davis” as if he’s the guy down the street. 

or things like

”I had breakfast with Buddy in New York once and...”

“Buddy Who?”

”Oh, Buddy Rich”

I’ll see if he makes any of the footage. He needs to write a book.  

Nice one for the heads up, Mook. 

There were a few drummers on there who looked like they might be the house drummer so he may be in there with a bit of luck.

I absolutely loved the programme, it was really well put together & tugged at the heart strings at times. I'll be watching it again soon.

I've only been to the club once & was blown away by it, can't wait to head down again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mook said:

There were a few drummers on there who looked like they might be the house drummer so he may be in there with a bit of luck.

I absolutely loved the programme, it was really well put together & tugged at the heart strings at times. I'll be watching it again soon.

I've only been to the club once & was blown away by it, can't wait to head down again.

I messaged him should he not have heard anything and his response was;

“Watched the Scott programme last night,well put together looks like an American production,lots of research”

Hahaha, that was it. Not giving me much to go off. I’ll see if he’s in it later.

Nice one again and can’t wait to head back there again when this is all over.

Great venue. 

• Upvote 1