You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good Music Documentaries

Lee909

• 2 weeks later...

Watched 'Janis Joplin: Little Girl Blues' the other night.

Pretty decent but didn't cover her failed relationships & sexuality struggles/battle with drugs/bullying from schoolmates growing up in Texas and a very fast rise to stardom much as I'd have liked, given all these seemed to be a huge part of her descent towards an early grave at just 27.

Touches on them but moves on too quickly. Interesting at times but not long enough. Could have easily been another half an hour longer, at least.

Clocks in at just over 1 hour 30 so a light enough watch.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Watched the 4 part mini series Shangri-La, about Rick Rubin, his recordings and philosophies. Not what I was expecting at all but really enjoyed it.

Sounds good, I’ll check that out.

The Beastie Boys were pretty candid in their recent autobiography book (great book btw) about him fucking them over back in the 1980’s and a big subsequent fallout. 

The Dylan documentary Don't Look Back was on TV last weekend. Fly on the wall style from his 1965 English tour.

The guy seems to operate at a different state of consciousness to everybody else. Clearly a genius, but also a nightmare for any journalist unfortunate enough to have to try to interview him.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sky Arts will be premiering a brand-new documentary, Brian Johnson Meets Dave Grohl, later this month.

On September 17, fans will get to watch the AC/DC vocalist meet Foo Fighters' mainman at the band's own Studio 606 in California, where the pair will sit down to discuss their iconic careers.

“It’s a meeting of rock legends as AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson meets Foo Fighters lead singer and former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl at the Foos’ LA studio to share stories about life on the road,” reads Sky's official synopsis.

Read this: 20 things you probably didn’t know about Dave Grohl

The exciting new doc arrives as Sky Arts becomes free-to-air this month, launching on Freeview and no longer behind a paywall.

“There’s never been a stronger need or demand for the arts, nor a more important time to champion and celebrate creativity,” explains Sky Arts director Philip Edgar-Jones.

“That’s why we’re throwing open the doors to make Sky Arts a free channel. During lockdown we’ve seen audiences to the channel increase by 50 per cent and our weekly live paint-along show, Portrait Artist Of The Week, reached 4.6 million people with over 20,000 portraits painted.

“As a free to air channel I hope that Sky Arts can help arts organisations and cultural institutions of all shapes and sizes across the UK, providing them with a platform to create and showcase their work to a broad audience.”

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched "One Man's Madness", which was on Sky Arts last night.

It's a pretty decent documentary about Lee Thompson and Madness, elevated by the fact that almost all the interviews don’t show the interviewees on screen, but instead feature Lee Thompson in fancy dress, lip-synching like some sort of live-action Creature Comforts.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 14:24, Lee909 said:

Sky Arts will be premiering a brand-new documentary, Brian Johnson Meets Dave Grohl, later this month.

On September 17, fans will get to watch the AC/DC vocalist meet Foo Fighters' mainman at the band's own Studio 606 in California, where the pair will sit down to discuss their iconic careers.

“It’s a meeting of rock legends as AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson meets Foo Fighters lead singer and former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl at the Foos’ LA studio to share stories about life on the road,” reads Sky's official synopsis.

Read this: 20 things you probably didn’t know about Dave Grohl

The exciting new doc arrives as Sky Arts becomes free-to-air this month, launching on Freeview and no longer behind a paywall.

“There’s never been a stronger need or demand for the arts, nor a more important time to champion and celebrate creativity,” explains Sky Arts director Philip Edgar-Jones.

“That’s why we’re throwing open the doors to make Sky Arts a free channel. During lockdown we’ve seen audiences to the channel increase by 50 per cent and our weekly live paint-along show, Portrait Artist Of The Week, reached 4.6 million people with over 20,000 portraits painted.

“As a free to air channel I hope that Sky Arts can help arts organisations and cultural institutions of all shapes and sizes across the UK, providing them with a platform to create and showcase their work to a broad audience.”

Philip Edgar-Jones is Daisy Edgar-Jones dad. I'd still bath her. 

On 15/08/2019 at 12:16, El Rojo said:

The Dylan documentary Don't Look Back was on TV last weekend. Fly on the wall style from his 1965 English tour.

The guy seems to operate at a different state of consciousness to everybody else. Clearly a genius, but also a nightmare for any journalist unfortunate enough to have to try to interview him.

It's such a brilliant documentary though, all the contributions, even the slightly bitter ones like Dave Van Ronk and Joan Baez had to acknowledge his genius. I loved the piece on the Clancy Brothers too.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

There's a good Glen Campbell documentary on BBC the moment, likely be on IPlayer soon

Brilliant musician and member of great wrecking crew backing band

Just watched that, can't say I'm a big fan, but yes what a brilliant guitarist and voice. 

I'm sure it said that in 1963 he played on about 800 tracks. It was a bit sad when Jimmy Webb said he asked if I was the one that wrote Witchita Lineman. 

There was a lad who used to play in Whitttys off Millers Bridge, a boss guitarist himself Steve Potter, and apparently some fella was in and recruited him to tour with Campbells band, 30 years or so ago. 

That's some break for a musician plus the fact a brilliant musician has heard of you. 

He'd of kicked a few arses out of the competition. 

Gimme Danger is boss. Made by Jim Jarmusch. 

There's very strong rumours that MC5 : A True Testimonial is finally going to get a release. It appears occasionally on YouTube but is usually taken down very quickly. Great film. Bizarrely when I saw it a few years ago I then went to a bar in Leiden and bumped into John Sinclair there. He's been living in Amsterdam for years apparently and is still one fucking cool cat.