You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WFH- How do people do it?

Fowlers God

I mean seriously, Working from home is the thing that dreams are made of. Until you’re actually doing it. My work has been so hectic the last few weeks that I’m behind on some admin and coursework for some business management diploma that I’m doing so I decided to work from home today as the team was full. I stayed at my mum and dads an extra day so that I would have the whole house, no kids coming in and out from school at different times. No (soon to be ex) wife talking to me or having to feel uncomfortable in the house. But so far today, I’ve done one module, a few emails filed away and I’m watching storage wars. I mean I don’t even watch storage wars in my own time so why am I doing it now? I couldn’t do this everyday I’m bored yet completely unmotivated to do ANY work

Being distracted by daytime TV has never been an issue because I don't watch it anyway. For me, the main thing is to maintain the same daily routine as you would if you were commuting. No need to put on a shirt and tie etc, but it's no good to just lounge about in your night clothes either. If you are someone who thrives on social interaction at work, then working from home will probably begin to grate very quickly.

I was granted working from home in my mid-twenties and rinsed the life out of it for about 20 months, living the dream as I thought back then, with scant life experience.

Did maybe 2/3 days combined work in all that time. Have nowt more than an incredibly detailed and comprehensive wank bank featuring thousands of hours of every single Sky Sports News girl at 30 frames a second to show for the period.

In the finish I actively asked if I could come back to work properly, because I was badly rusting as a human being. My mental health had troughed to the point someone asking me to wash a plate up felt like being sentenced to work in a salt-mine for 20 years.

It certainly played very badly against my own shortcomings in terms of self-discipline, organisation, being a lazy loafing prick with low ambition and such, especially given I was also fairly immature back then, but unless you’re very well stocked in the sort of personal skills I lack I reckon it can definitely be a chronic motivation-sink while making you sedantry and lacking in purpose.

Lot to be said for keeping busy and around other people. Many years back one of my ex’s best mates had her then-husband leave her within a year of their much-heralded wedding, for his 20 year old PA. I always remember her immediately saying her job/colleagues were going to be the sole constant in her life during the turbulent period ahead, and consciously using that structure and being around the same people daily as a positive to get her up and out and working through it. Struck me as wise and mature back then and still does.

Far longer and more serious answer than you probably wanted, but there you go.

• Upvote 1

That’s very true Ben, when I split my ex about 11 yrs ago I could go a couple of days without speaking to anyone else and it certainly got me down.

I’m going to have to get used to going in to the office every day from September and I’m really worried about how I’ll mamage not to scream and swear at people when I’m annoyed. That and having to get dressed.

That’s very true Ben, when I split my ex about 11 yrs ago I could go a couple of days without speaking to anyone else and it certainly got me down.

I’m going to have to get used to going in to the office every day from September and I’m really worried about how I’ll mamage not to scream and swear at people when I’m annoyed. That and having to get dressed.

Past six months have been the perfect example mate. I went from having a purpose at uni in working towards where I want to be to just doing constant health rehab on my own at home and being in my own head every day. It’s gruelling. Mental health dips are pretty much inevitable in life anyway in my opinion, like getting a cold every so often (obviously those with chronic issues are over and above this), but they’re increased and heightened when you’re regularly away from other people and your focus/purpose is dulled.

Totally get the bit about going back in, you become alienated and out of step. It’s why people who’ve lived on their own for years can become so set in their ways and less inclined to compromise, isn’t it. I was hell on legs for the first few months back in. Makes me cringe to think of it, but at least I was a massive cunt to some truly heinous management pricks being utterly out of line to numerous sound/benign people reporting into them.

At 47 I’m still a long way off retirement but it’s for the above reasons that I will make sure I have loads of things to do when I eventually finish paid work. Even though I have lots of work to do in the summer, I still find the six week break from routine difficult by week four-ish, assuming I’ve had a fortnight away during that time; without that I’d be done after a couple of weeks. Being around the house all day does my head in.

Discipline is key.

When I’ve got a task to do, I’m driven to do it with no distractions. Might crank some tunes out but that’ll be it.

If it’s a quite day though, my laptop is on for emails etc but I’ll be laying on the sofa watching a DVD or playing my Switch - give the impression I’m working while tossing it off.

I’m self employed and work from home, I could never go back to working in an office with the rest of the drones.

I start around 5am and finish between 12pm and 2pm six days a week. The only time I struggle to get much done is when the kids are home.

Best thing I ever did was work for myself and pick my own hours.

Discipline is key.

When I’ve got a task to do, I’m driven to do it with no distractions. Might crank some tunes out but that’ll be it.

If it’s a quite day though, my laptop is on for emails etc but I’ll be laying on the sofa watching a DVD or playing my Switch - give the impression I’m working while tossing it off.

Move Mouse?

I worked from home a couple of days a week , on the road the rest of the time with the odd day in an office. I found that I hated the office and could get 4 hours office work in to an hour at home leaving plenty of lazing about time. The only benefit I found of being in an office was if you wanted something done you could go and stand in front of someone rather than being fobbed by email or phone.

Get a seperate work space with no TV. I work from home one day a week. Since I moved house I was working in the sofa with a laptop. I hadn't realised how lazy I had gotten until I set up my desk, dual monitors, desktop pc etc again. Chalk and cheese. I get the same amount of work done as unused to, only by lunch time. Which means lots of paid afternoon wanking. And maybe some more work done in between.

• Upvote 1

Get a seperate work space with no TV. I work from home one day a week. Since I moved house I was working in the sofa with a laptop. I hadn't realised how lazy I had gotten until I set up my desk, dual monitors, desktop pc etc again. Chalk and cheese. I get the same amount of work done as unused to, only by lunch time. Which means lots of paid afternoon wanking. And maybe some more work done in between.

Working for a sperm bank is always nice.