You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Walking / Hiking

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I meant to bump this yesterday. Hope he is ok and hasn't been bummed. 

Sadly not.

My last day of walking was Friday. I was supposed to spend Friday night in Bowness on Solway but I arrived at my destination much earlier than I anticipated so decided to head home as the yearning for a pint of Carling and my own bed was just to much.

Wednesday's walk was the last of any visible wall. 

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/4163254519/embed/89085ee3af1689c23ed74d6cb5e11cfef7576866'></iframe>

Thursday was pretty much on the flat and was mainly through very muddy fields occupied by cows or sheep.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/4167875952/embed/ef5290bc7e6e598ed758ce1eb4685792ffa3ff8a'></iframe>

Friday was just as flat as Thursday but with less fields, cows and sheep as it was mainly on paths and roads.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/4171589276/embed/441c34bec80027a0db2879788a591354e1720c1e'></iframe>

What shall I do next ?????????

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Sadly not.

My last day of walking was Friday. I was supposed to spend Friday night in Bowness on Solway but I arrived at my destination much earlier than I anticipated so decided to head home as the yearning for a pint of Carling and my own bed was just to much.

Wednesday's walk was the last of any visible wall. 

What shall I do next ?????????

Avoid Remmies wrath 

• Upvote 1

How did you cope with the physical side of it, mate?

Any blisters, pulled muscles, knackered feet?

Cloggy's suggestion sounds boss and a lot warmer 

/drier than the Borders in October. 

The most gruelling of the established walks in the UK is meant to be the Pennine Way although this one sounds both terrifying and fantastic in equal measure

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cape-wrath-trail.shtml

35 minutes ago, mattyq said:

How did you cope with the physical side of it, mate?

Any blisters, pulled muscles, knackered feet?

Cloggy's suggestion sounds boss and a lot warmer 

/drier than the Borders in October. 

The most gruelling of the established walks in the UK is meant to be the Pennine Way although this one sounds both terrifying and fantastic in equal measure

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cape-wrath-trail.shtml

The first day was OK until the last couple of miles when the soles of the feet and shins started to ache. 

The second day, although shorter was harder as the terrain was rougher. Trails and narrow paths walking over tree roots and stones.

Third, forth and fifth days were brutal. The climbs and descends and again the terrain killed me. Feet, shins, hips, all in bulk. I was honestly thinking I might not make it through till the end. 

Don't quite now why but after about two hours into the sixth day, a lot of the aches and pains except the aching feet cleared up, which made the last two days much better.

I was lucky in that I didn't get any blisters but I always had that sensation that I wasn't far away from on. 

I think I got lucky with the time of year I did it and also the covid effect as a couple of people told me that in the height of a normal summer it's way overcrowded.

If I do go on another walking holiday, I'm not sure if I'd go for as many days.

The highlight was going to Lanercost. The priory was shut but the church was open. I had a walk around the graveyard and came across a grave from the 1800s with the word Liverpool on it.  

• Upvote 8

On 12/10/2020 at 21:36, Dougie Do'ins said:

The first day was OK until the last couple of miles when the soles of the feet and shins started to ache. 

The second day, although shorter was harder as the terrain was rougher. Trails and narrow paths walking over tree roots and stones.

Third, forth and fifth days were brutal. The climbs and descends and again the terrain killed me. Feet, shins, hips, all in bulk. I was honestly thinking I might not make it through till the end. 

Don't quite now why but after about two hours into the sixth day, a lot of the aches and pains except the aching feet cleared up, which made the last two days much better.

I was lucky in that I didn't get any blisters but I always had that sensation that I wasn't far away from on. 

I think I got lucky with the time of year I did it and also the covid effect as a couple of people told me that in the height of a normal summer it's way overcrowded.

If I do go on another walking holiday, I'm not sure if I'd go for as many days.

The highlight was going to Lanercost. The priory was shut but the church was open. I had a walk around the graveyard and came across a grave from the 1800s with the word Liverpool on it.  

That along with a slipped disc is why I pack pain killers, 

Well done mate, thinking of taking up walking myself, always been a big runner but I’m getting towards 60 now and unfortunately I’m going to have to throw the towel in as it hurts too much these days. I’m semi retired so time shouldn't be a problem. What would be a decent distance, I’m thinking 8 miles a day maybe?

6 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Guessing you didn’t go up Jacks Rake (not a euphemism) in that shite. 

That was the plan but when we got to the traverse away from the path we couldn’t even see the climb so decided we’d just carry on to the top. It was such a shame that by the time we got down the cloud had completely cleared. Next time

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Recommendations needed. Lightweight and quick drying hiking shorts for stomping around mountains in high temperatures. Don’t really want them to look too technical and certainly don’t want to look like Turdseye

thanks

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/clearance/mens.html?page=0&amp;size=48&amp;filter=%26filter%3Duk_product_type_1%3A%28clothing%29%26filter%3Duk_clothing_type%3A%28legwear%29