You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish

Disappointed that there seems to be a negative tone on Twitter. That because he hasn't turned it down and shit on the steps of Buckingham palace he's doing a disservice to Liverpool.

I haven't looked yet but for fucks sake, people are fucking bellends.

He sounds really happy about it and that is the most important thing, and in my own opinion is well overdue, his work after Hillsborough is second to none. That should have done it alone. Now after the work he does with Marina's charity being recognised more so.

Its not about "establishment" its about recognising what he did 30 years ago and ever since.

"Sir Kenny", I like that.

Plenty of positivity on Twitter about it as well too Paulie.  Henry Winter has a great piece on the Times about it.  At work so can't embed it. 

David Beckham must be well pissed off he didn't get it so that's also a good thing

We. Us. Our. Family.

The humility that the King continues to show in receipt of such an award exemplifies why he, of all people I can think of, deserves this. Regardless of any personal view on the honours system or its flaws, this clearly means something to Kenny, his family and the many, many people who's lives he's touched and improved. We can respect and honour him as a club and individuals in many ways but this national recognition of a truly great man should be celebrated.

What a leg.

• Upvote 1

I'm gobsmacked it's taken this long. They couldn't wait to hand out a knighthood to the likes of Ferguson and Charlton, and Kenny just gets one now, after children like Mo Farrah and Andy Murray were given one. Absolutely ridiculously overdue, that's my main beef with this. But if Kenny wants this award, then I'm delighted for him, nobody more deserving of such an honour. 

Disappointed that there seems to be a negative tone on Twitter. That because he hasn't turned it down and shit on the steps of Buckingham palace he's doing a disservice to Liverpool.

It's a load of bollocks, that's slacktivism culture for you, 99.9% of them would take it up the arse from Edward if he paid them enough while still extolling their anti establishment credentials on Twitter.

Don’t like the royal family. Don’t like Kenny kneeling for some cunt either.

Knowing how Kenny feels about Liverpool and football, I wouldn't be surprised if - when he kneels - he will actually be doing it in deference to and respect for the club, people and victims that he keeps graciously insisting he's been privileged to work for and serve all these years.

It's an apt honour, not just because no man in British football deserves it more - but also because it was a travesty... given this anachronistic accolade has existed for centuries... that Bob Paisley wasn't given one.

As for knighthoods themselves - like with other titles and privileges bestowed on people - there are good knights and there are shit knights.

The queen and royal family are irrelevant for me in all this:  the relevant bit I think, is that the people of Great Britain get to see a great man officially acknowledged and revered in amongst them... and that stretches as far as over here to me, a grumpy old cunt of a "British subject" in Australia....

I'm more than happy to say, with great pride, because I have been inspired and delighted by him since I was a boy:  Sir Kenny.

• Upvote 2