You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish

I supported this team when I was a boy, they most often played in red. Liverpool they were called.

The No.7 was a player called Dalglish. I knew, because my dad told me, that he was the greatest player ever to play for Liverpool; “he’s even better than Wor Jackie” he used to say with a smile. He was Newcastle United until his dying day, but he knew a footballer when he saw one.

We discovered together, in those most tragic of days, that this greatest of footballers was also the greatest of men.  

It was wonderful last night to see him enjoying a team worthy of him, led by a manager worthy of him. 

Like all of us, I’ve been fortunate enough to see some fantastic players in a Liverpool shirt. None as good as King Kenny though. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Dalglish was a genius. You only get a glimpse of how great a genius he was from looking at the old clips. He was an astoundingly clever player, just breathtakingly brilliant.

Absolutely this. 

Said in a million times but still think he was massively underrated as a manager. 

At a time when doubles were rare, we were inches away from 3 in 4 years and he built one of the greatest teams ever seen.

One of the few young managers to do well at a big club even upto today.

Never really gets the credit for that 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Said in a million times but still think he was massively underrated as a manager. 

At a time when doubles were rare, we were inches away from 3 in 4 years and he built one of the greatest teams ever seen.

One of the few young managers to do well at a big club even upto today.

Never really gets the credit for that 

To think he was only 35 the season we won the double. 

48 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Dalglish was a genius. You only get a glimpse of how great a genius he was from looking at the old clips. He was an astoundingly clever player, just breathtakingly brilliant.

Also tough as they come and one of the best shielders of a ball that I have ever seen.

38 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Also tough as they come and one of the best shielders of a ball that I have ever seen.

Yes. And so clever. When he was playing floodlit matches, he'd watch for the shadows to tell who was coming towards him and from what angle, so he'd move off before they reached him, wondering how the heck he knew without looking.

• 1 month later...
On 17/06/2022 at 23:43, AngryOfTuebrook said:

One of my mates from work posted a selfie from the Elton John gig.

Screenshot_2022-06-17-23-43-35-72_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

“It was the same thing round and round and round. On phone calls, it was: ‘I think you should go.’ To my face it was: ‘You’ll start every week’. It was mixed messages. He was messing with my head. I lost respect for him, to be honest. He used to phone me up and tell me I was a wonderful guy, and would I like to go and see Tinie Tempah live at the Arena with him - and then he'd not phone back and go with someone else. It was disappointing, to be honest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Even though I’ve posted it a million times, I still laugh my head off at Andy Carroll getting dressed up waiting for a phone call that never arrives.

In his Tinie Tempah T shirt and oversized foam hand saying ‘number one fan’ on it? Crying into his Newkey Brown.