You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Beckham

Bjornebye

I don't let them ruin my days.  

I did cry when Beckham scored a freekick at Anfield once.  My dad gave me a big pep talk about how being a Liverpool fan carries certain responsibilities and that You'll Never Walk Alone means something and to put my chin up and my chest out.  Years later he told me he was just shitting it in case the cameras zoomed in on us. He did my a favour. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I did cry when Beckham scored a freekick at Anfield once. My dad gave me a big pep talk about how being a Liverpool fan carries certain responsibilities and that You'll Never Walk Alone means something and to put my chin up and my chest out. Years later he told me he was just shitting it in case the cameras zoomed in on us. He did my a favour.

Ha! Model parenting...

I did cry when Beckham scored a freekick at Anfield once.  My dad gave me a big pep talk about how being a Liverpool fan carries certain responsibilities and that You'll Never Walk Alone means something and to put my chin up and my chest out.  Years later he told me he was just shitting it in case the cameras zoomed in on us. He did my a favour. 

After that goal went in Gary Neville ran the length of the Kemlyn giving it abusive gestures all the way.  Not a peep out of the FA or the media.

Strange to go from that point to really not minding him nowadays.

Fuck his celebrity persona, anyone who says he wasn't a very good footy player knows fuck all about football. The lad was unreal at times. Never seen a better crosser of the ball.

For a guy who couldnt use his left foot,not particularly fast and not a great header of the ball,he was ok.

He has been the most overrated footballer I've ever seen.Not fit to lace Gerrard,nor Lampard's boots. Fourth best United midfielder in that team.

He was a boss player Beckham, totally committed to the cause on the pitch, when he was within 40 yards of our goal or anywhere near a free kick pants were well and truly soiled.

I don't think he was overrated to be honest, not compared to someone like Rooney, whose standing in the game will never ever cease to amaze me.

• Upvote 1

Think he was a good player but he got the same amount of publicity them to what Ronaldo and Messi get now and he's nowhere near them in terms of ability.

The press were obsessed with him and would cream themselves if he got a new haircut.

Not to overstate my case here, but I think he was the prototype for everything that's wrong with football, in the sense that he was the first modern 'celebrity footballer' of the Premiership age, they tried to turn Giggs into that (both the mancs' publicity machine and the press) but he achieved the impossible of being even more dour than Bekcham. 

Style more than substance, photo shoots, branding, cross polination with mainstream celebrity circles. Ironically, even though he set the pattern for it - he (a) wasn't actually that bad a lad compared to some of the players that followed in his footsteps, and (b) he could get away with it because he was at a top team, playing well and winning things. He also had a good attitude to footy, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him bladdered on the floor or heard stories about drug abuse. In many ways he was a decent role model in some ways, but bad in others (I doubt many school football teams had seen their share of white boots before Beckham arrived), 

He also had a phenomenal cultural impact too, I'd argue that he made it 'okay' for a man to use moisturiser, fuss over his hair and his clobber in a way that it'd never been okay to do so before. It is what it is, that being said I can't say I'd miss that aspect of his influence if someone saw fit to remove him from history. 

He was a boss player Beckham, totally committed to the cause on the pitch, when he was within 40 yards of our goal or anywhere near a free kick pants were well and truly soiled.

I don't think he was overrated to be honest, not compared to someone like Rooney, whose standing in the game will never ever cease to amaze me.

Much as I dislike him, Rooney is highest scorer for club and country, no? Beckham could cross and take free kicks...

He shit out of that tackle that led to Rivaldo equalising in 2002. No one seems to give him any shit over it. Probably because he'd been blamed by the ingerland twats for France 98 and that one slipped their memory.

Watched the qualifying game against Greece in the First national. The game where he he ran round like a headless chicken but scored the free kick near the end. Three wools in the pub started singing to the John arne Rise tune "hey David. I wanna know how you scored that goal"

They got about 7 pints of ale lashed at them.

• Upvote 1

He shit out of that tackle that led to Rivaldo equalising in 2002. No one seems to give him any shit over it. Probably because he'd been blamed by the ingerland twats for France 98 and that one slipped their memory.

Watched the qualifying game against Greece in the First national. The game where he he ran round like a headless chicken but scored the free kick near the end. Three wools in the pub started singing to the John arne Rise tune "hey David. I wanna know how you scored that goal"

They got about 7 pints of ale lashed at them.

He was unreal that game. Glad them dickheads got bevvies lashed at them though