You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watching footie on the tele just got more expensive.

Looks like Amazon have bought up one of the cheaper tv rights packages. But you will need to shell out another 79 sheets to watch the handful of games.

Amazon is on the cusp of purchasing its first Premier League television rights package as the online giant launches a threat against Sky Sports and BT Sport.

In the division of Premier League TV rights for the 2019 to 2022 period two packages were still to be purchased following the initial bidding phase in February.

According to The Telegraph, Amazon has now purchased one of the remaining packages with BT Sport understood to have taken the other one at a heavily discounted price.  

492DD4FE00000578-0-image-a-8_15185476469

The Premier League have announced the winners of five out of seven packages for TV rights

WHO HAS BOUGHT WHAT SO FAR? 

BT SPORT – £885million

32 – matches at 12.30pm on Saturday

SKY SPORTS – £3.579bn

32 – matches at 5.30pm on Saturday

8 – matches at 7.45pm on Saturday

32 – matches at 2pm on Sunday

32 – matches at 4pm on Sunday

24 – matches at either 8pm on Monday or 7.30pm/8pm on Friday

STILL UP FOR GRABS

20 – matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme

20 – matches from two midweek fixture programmes.

Buying one of these will entitle Amazon to broadcast either 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme or 20 matches from two midweek sets of fixtures.

The Premier League sold five of their seven packages for 2019 to 2022 for £4.464billion to Sky and BT in February.

Sky won four packages – worth 128 matches – while BT won one – worth 32. 

That left 40 games still up for grabs but Amazon has now purchased 20 of those.

It will be a bitter blow for armchair fans who will now have to fork out for an Amazon Prime subscription to watch their team play on top of their Sky and BT fees. A membership for Amazon Prime will set supporters back £7.99 a month.

Access to Sky Sports is already an additional £20 a month supplement while BT Sport can be purchased for an extra £27.99 a month.  

This will mean having access to all three services will cost fans £55.98 a month.

4D01946D00000578-5816089-image-a-33_1528

Amazon are becoming an increasing force in sport broadcasting and already have the rights for ATP and US Open tennis.

American Football is also broadcast on the website with the NFL renewing its deal to broadcast its Thursday night matches for two more seasons in April.

Amazon also produces a sporting documentary series titled 'All or Nothing'. The programme takes viewers behind the scenes of three major American sports teams. Series have been focused on the Arizona Cardinals, the Los Angeles Rams and the Dallas Cowboys. 

Said to be worth a staggering £521.98billion in February, Amazon chief executive Jeff Bezos claimed in April it's Prime streaming service has more than 100 million subscribers worldwide.

I think Babbs is right. They’re testing the waters here but this is the way it’s going. The premier league are getting too greedy. The more they split this up the more money they will make in the short term. They will fuck it for themselves in the long run though.

People won’t pay 100 quid a month for Sky if they only get half the football. They keep losing other sports and competitions as well. The problem for the premier league is that no other company runs a service like Sky. People won’t pay that 100 quid to BT if it’s only football. A fella will also find it harder to justify to his bird to paying half of that a month to them if all they get is sports. I’m guessing here but I think it’s men that buy the sky for the football and it’s generally accepted by their other half because of all the other sevices that come with it. These aren’t generally necessary things like football though.

This means that the BT’s can offer big money in the short term thinking that they will get the customers in to cover it but it won’t be profitable. When people start to walk away from Sky because of less matches it will be interesting to see what the premier league do.

Sort of relevant to this.

The Premier League’s ‘big six’ clubs have won their fight to take a bigger share of the top tier’s booming international broadcasting revenue, the league has announced.

The domestic TV cash has always been distributed on a meritocratic basis, depending on where clubs finish in the league but proceeds from foreign broadcasters have been shared equally since 1992, as nobody predicted the sums involved would become so significant.

In recent years, however, the league’s top clubs – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham – have argued they should get more of the overseas income as they are the clubs foreign fans want to watch.

Any change to the Premier League’s rules needs a two-thirds majority – at least 14 of the 20 clubs – and the big six failed to achieve this at a league shareholders’ meeting in October – prompting fears the league’s successful approach to selling its rights collectively was about to collapse, with some suggesting the big six could be tempted to form a European super league.

Those concerns appear to have focused minds as a compromise has been reached. From 2019/20, the start of the next three-year rights cycle, any increase in the current international rights package, which is inevitable, will be distributed according to league position.

I do find the headlines funny

Liverpool boss gets his way

Like he was the only one of the top 6 CEOs demanding more of the cash.

Liverpool chairman John W. Henry has been successful in his efforts to ensure the top Premier League clubs receive more cash from overseas television deals, after it was confirmed changes to the payment structure have been introduced from the start of the 2019/20 season.

The Premier League currently distributes all international broadcast revenue equally between the clubs, but that will change in the summer of 2019, in a move that may widen the gap between clubs at the top and bottom end of the table.

"When the Premier League was formed in 1992 nobody could have envisaged the scale of international growth in the competition which exists now," said Premier League Executive Chairman Richard Scudamore.

"Back then the clubs put in place a revenue sharing system that was right for the time and has served the League well, enabling them to invest and improve in all areas.

"This new agreement will continue that trend with a subtle change that further incentivises on-pitch achievement and maintains the Premier League’s position as the most equitable in Europe in terms of sharing central revenues.

"By coming together and agreeing this change, the clubs have provided a platform for the future success of the League for many years ahead."

The move has been welcomed by Liverpool chief Henry, who has been campaigning for the big-name clubs to receive a bigger share of television revenue.

"Everyone in the league knows what the large clubs bring to the value of foreign rights, but the large clubs do not have the votes to change something that should have changed as media rights changed over the past 25 years," he told Associated Press.

Liverpool earned €145.9 million pounds from the Premier League season that reached a conclusion last month, with final calculations of the revenue they will receive from their run to the Champions League final set to be added to that healthy windfall.

£4 a month for every Sports channel in the English speaking world, loads of foreign sports channels, hundreds of non-sports channels and all the PPV’s. What a rip off!

Can that be done on a laptop or is it a box.

Are theee streams any good though . Fed up of mates telling me how boss they are and what a tit I am to pay full whack to Sky snd BT , but every time they try to show me how ‘boss’ It is I seem to get a cacophony of excuses as it stops for minutes on end and endless comments of ‘ This is the first time it has been like this for ages ‘.

Are theee streams any good though . Fed up of mates telling me how boss they are and what a tit I am to pay full whack to Sky snd BT , but every time they try to show me how ‘boss’ It is I seem to get a cacophony of excuses as it stops for minutes on end and endless comments of ‘ This is the first time it has been like this for ages ‘.

It’s never going to be 100% perfect but if you find a decent one with plenty of alternative streams then it’s without doubt better than paying money to Sky/Virgin. Mine is fine 98% of the time and on the odd occasion it does freeze/buffer it takes me about 10 seconds to switch to a better one. I’d imagine it would be useless without fibre broadband and also if you’ve got zero patience then it’s probably not for you.

If you’ve got a Firestick or an Android box lying around then a bit of reading on the Techy forum, elsewhere online or watching a few YouTube videos will teach you how you can get it set up and trial them for free.

The quality of those streams are pretty shit. When they work, that is.

The quality of those streams are pretty shit. When they work, that is.

In your experience. Sounds like you’ve just used a shit service, of which there are plenty. I’ve had a couple of those myself.

Nowadays I watch all of our games and all other sports in HD. Plus all the other channels you’d get in the Sky package. Cost me £50 for 12 months. I’ve recommended it to a few others on here and they seem to agree with my opinion.