You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xherdan Shaqiri

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

They offered that after the English transfer window closed and the European one was still open. 

I'm surprised we didn't sell him and pretend one of our youth players is a viable option, like the laughable notion Brewster was ready. 

18 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Perfect player to have on the bench, definitely gives us guile and verve from midfield. Would love to see him fit again and getting game time, especially against bus parking bastards.

I agree , he knows and must expect he’ll be on the bench for the most part, he cxn have a go from outside the area against the defensive types that can be difficult to break down, I hope he has a role to play .

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Perfect player to have on the bench, definitely gives us guile and verve from midfield. Would love to see him fit again and getting game time, especially against bus parking bastards.

I get the feeling Shaq isnt a full on Klopp signing. I know Jurgen said no one leaves or comes in without his say so. I can only presume Edwards or someone told Jurgen buying Shaqiri was a no brainer, a good squad filler for little money we could sell on after 2 years and make money on.

It's the only reasonable explanation I can come to, to explain why Shaq never plays. Jurgen took him off at half time after scoring 2 was it against southampton, at home. The reason being we were being exposed defensively. WTF, there was no way southampton were getting back into that game. It was perfect to keep Shaqiri on.

Obviously hes injured now so cannot play but it wouldnt surprise me if there's an acceptable bid come January and he moves on, back to Switzerland. That just happens to be where he is now, isnt it?

29 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I get the feeling Shaq isnt a full on Klopp signing. I know Jurgen said no one leaves or comes in without his say so. I can only presume Edwards or someone told Jurgen buying Shaqiri was a no brainer, a good squad filler for little money we could sell on after 2 years and make money on.

It's the only reasonable explanation I can come to, to explain why Shaq never plays. Jurgen took him off at half time after scoring 2 was it against southampton, at home. The reason being we were being exposed defensively. WTF, there was no way southampton were getting back into that game. It was perfect to keep Shaqiri on.

Obviously hes injured now so cannot play but it wouldnt surprise me if there's an acceptable bid come January and he moves on, back to Switzerland. That just happens to be where he is now, isnt it?

He's an experienced international who cost about what a decent Championship player would cost nowadays.

Klopp himself said the signing was a no brainer but it doesn't mean once he saw him play for us he couldn't just come to the realization that he's a luxury player who doesn't at all fit tactically. Not everything is black and white like "oh he doesn't play, he wasn't a Klopp signing."

• Upvote 1

I don't think it has much to do if he was a klopp signing or not. Although if he was, I'm sure klopp would have had a plan he knew would work from day 1. As it is, I think he's seen a chance for us to get a good player at a good price and trusted his own ability to mould him into something new. Klopp is brilliant at that, but it can't work every time. After a season and a quarter, it's getting harder to see how he fits in. But let's see how klopp uses him if he manages to get fit. I like him, but I genuinely never think of him as an option, but I could see him being great for loads of teams. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He would tear it up for Bayern === wait...

Wise words Howie. 

I honestly think he needs one of those teams Everton want to be, or better placed in other top leagues, but not quite the top teams. Someone who can afford to have a team with a number 10 or is still going at 4231. He'd be really good for the Ev, I'm.made up he's not there.