You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xherdan Shaqiri

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

If we’re looking to move him on to being someone else in then fine. If not then i’d keep him as he could come in handy.

If we move him on and bring no one in who can contribute to the first team immediately, it's gross negligence 

27 minutes ago, m0e said:

He's barely a great squad player.

This is true, but only because he barely ever gets on the pitch. He could be a great squad player, and in fact, I'd even argue that based on his contributions per minutes played he already is.

But if he's never going to be selected (for whatever reason) then yeah, he's not a great squad player and it's in everyone's best interests for him to move on. He's far too good not to play. You only have to look at what he did for the Swiss at the Euros to see that.

Shaqiri is fucking quality. He's not good enough to be a regular starter for us though (no shame in that, the standard of the first eleven is incredible) and because Klopp seemingly never wants to pick him at all, there's not really any point in him being a 'squad player' here either.

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Not a single team in the league interested? At 6 mil?

There's no way that's true. So if no-one here is in for him it's because he's decided he wants to play in another league. Because he'd start for 75% of the teams in England.

Just now, dave u said:

This is true, but only because he barely ever gets on the pitch. He could be a great squad player, and in fact, I'd even argue that based on his contributions per minutes played he already is.

But if he's never going to be selected (for whatever reason) then yeah, he's not a great squad player and it's in everyone's best interests for him to move on. He's far too good not to play. You only have to look at what he did for the Swiss at the Euros to see that.

Shaqiri is fucking quality. He's not good enough to be a regular starter for us though (no shame in that, the standard of the first eleven is incredible) and because Klopp seemingly never wants to pick him at all, there's not really any point in him being a 'squad player' here either.

I think that's my point. He doesn't warrant taking up a space on the bench, the way he's been used.

I'm also looking at who's come in for him, and there must be far more to it that meets the eye. He was at Stoke in his prime, and only got a move when they got relegated, largely helped by a low release clause.

It's not like he's ever been wanted wherever he's been. Even for Switzerland, he was the first player subbed in all the games I watched.

So either loads of managers have a blind spot with him, or he's one of these luxury players that doesn't really offer enough, particularly at the highest level.

I think it's the latter, personally.

He seems to be one of those where the more he doesn't play, the better he gets.

12 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

You would think that Crystal Palace, West Ham or even Leicester would be all over him at the prices being quoted. 

Maybe he wants to relax in an easier league, and be guaranteed first team football in a town with better weather and food for the next 5 years?

He's won practically everything there is to win, and isn't getting any younger now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

Maybe he wants to relax in an easier league, and be guaranteed first team football in a town with better weather and food for the next 5 years?

He's won practically everything there is to win, and isn't getting any younger now.

I’d love to be offered work, with fantastic wages, in Lyon.

Amazing city, amazing food, great night life and filthy french tarts at every patisserie.

• Upvote 4

He's a good player on his day, but the fact that so few clubs are interested in him at a bargain price shows you where he's at.

If you look at his career, he has failed to break through at any of the top three clubs he's played at, but looked decent at mid table level teams. 

I think he has the same issue that Coutinho now has, in that ideally he would play in a '10' role, but hardly any teams actually play this way now. In a 4-3-3 formation, he doesn't really suit any of the front 6 positions. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Farewell sweet prince.

Sad to see him go. Not pivotal like Gini, but part of some really good memories. Seems like a bit of a laugh and a very decent player when he was fit.

Hope to see him rock up in the Champions League and break City, Chelsea or United hearts with a worldie in the coming years.

Will be interesting if we have some late business. 

• Upvote 1

In the grand scheme of things, his cross for Gini's header against Barcelona is probably the only direct contribution he made to the 4 trophies we won.

Almost always threatened to play a big part, without really doing anything of note.

Almost always flattered to decieve.

And almost always unavailable when desperately needed.

Elliott will almost certainly make more of an impact this season than Shaq has in his entire tenure here.

38 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Its a shame because Klopp wants more goals from midfield. Who better for that than Shaq. Will be gutted when he goes but somewhat relieved for him as he's far too good not to play. 

Everything Klopp's said suggests the opposite.

Only last week he spoke about the midfield, in response to a question from James Pearce, he said how our system isn't conducive to creating goal scoring opportunities and that buying a goal scoring midfielder doesn't translate to goals for us. 

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'd sooner keep him if we aren't bringing anyone in. Just leaves us short.

Get where you’re coming from, I like Shaq as well, Shaq has barely featured the last 2 seasons, so we’re not missing anything. 

If we’re only replacing those minutes, Jones, Elliot & Gordon can offer as much.

I do 100% think we need another attacker of first team quality though.

Edit - So by disagreeing, I actually agree.

• Downvote 1