You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Cup in England

Just spoke to my dad. He had his tickets for the knockout stage - quarter-final, semi-final and final prior to the start of the tournament. They had the date and venue printed on them.

33ljvqf.jpg

20utso5.jpg

So, one of the semi-finals was always due to be played at Wembley. Whether England should have played at Goodison but were switched to Wembley instead, I don't know.

Different times then, of course.

24csgzp.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just spoke to my dad. He had his tickets for the knockout stage -quarter-final, semi-final and final prior to the start of the tournament. They had the date and venue printed on them.

Sound, my dad went to a few, not sure about the semi though, his mate was Ian St John and he said to him to go and watch the South American full backs as they don't seem to tackle or something they just draw you into the line ,goal kick. Something like that.
  • Upvote 1

Wasn't there a bit of a kerfuffle as the England semi should have taken place at Goodison but the powers that be changed it to Wembley.

Not sure, mate. See my post above. Unfortunately, my dad can't remember if England should have played at Goodison. He was working in London, at the time, hence he had tickets for Wembley.

Yes there was as I posted earlier, I read that it was changed at not quite the last minute but Eusebio said it was a pity as he reckoned Portugal would of beaten England if it was at Goodison, I think they went down well at Liverpool as did the North Koreans against Italy I believe.

• Upvote 1

My dad said he was in Rigbys after one of Brazils matches. Said that loads of their supporters were rich white middle class people who had travelled here via about 6 different flights.

One left his wallet on the bar stuffed full of notes. Rather than someone nicking it one of the customers ran down the street to give him it back. He then came back in the pub and bought loads of people a drink.

My dad said he was in Rigbys after one of Brazils matches. Said that loads of their supporters were rich white middle class people who had travelled here via about 6 different flights.

One left his wallet on the bar stuffed full of notes. Rather than someone nicking it one of the customers ran down the street to give him it back. He then came back in the pub and bought loads of people a drink.

Haha sound, and that's probably why, apart from the love of footy.

I'd love it if the World Cup came to these shores. It's a proper festival of football, and you get the chance to see some other nations playing without them being against England. I don't even particularly mind the jingoistic flags on cars nationalism that creeps in during such times, as in my experience it's of the light-hearted variety and generally people mix well with those of other nations. It's the nationalism that ferments during times of isolation that's more dangerous, as I'm sure we're about to find out after Brexit.  

• Upvote 2

Just read (probably readily available information months or even years ago) that it's between US/Canada/Mexico as a joint bid...and Morocco.

It's never going to be in Western/Southern Europe or South America again is it? You know, football nations. 

I read somewhere that England is after Euro 2028. 

They want the 2024 one but as the final is at Wembley in 2020 Uefa doesn't want back to back finals at the same ground so the FA they have done a deal with Germany having the 2024 and England having the 2028 one.

I read somewhere that England is after Euro 2028. 

They want the 2024 one but as the final is at Wembley in 2020 Uefa doesn't want back to back finals at the same ground so the FA they have done a deal with Germany having the 2024 and England having the 2028 one.

I thought the Euros was due to be in about 12 countries every time from now on. You know, to ensure there isn't any sense of occasion anywhere.

I think it's just the 2020 tournament where they are all dotted around.

At the time Platini said there shouldn't be a problem with fans travelling from Madrid to Budapest for a game because of all the low budget airlines available.

I'm going out on a limb here but I think he didn't understand how the likes of ryanair and easyjet operate as soon as they know there's a high demand for one of their routes.

Of course we could host the event without too many problems. But we won't because that's not how FIFA operate. They'll just give the event to whoever offers them the most money. No other reason why Russia and especially Qatar won the World Cup. Qatar especially still boggles the mind to this day. They even have to shift the World Cup to the winter to have it played in Qatar. There's so much wrong with the notion of Qatar hosting the world cup that it's just incredible they could have got it, but we all know they bribed FIFA. An absolute corrupt organisation who really don't care about football but just about how much money its officials can make.