You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC Progress: Are You In Or Are You Out? - by Paul Natton

tlw content

I am sure he can deliver with better players, I think he needs the players though, I am not sure he can play chess like others.

I don't mind what I lost on the bets as have made loads this year on the front 3 to score! Also, all 4 to score vs Arsenal was 80/1 - Mane shanked a few and cost me 810 quid!

Good points. I think he admits Buvac was the tactician out of the pair.

Fantastic article Paul. Pretty much sums up where I'm at; this is the most optimistic I've ever been as a red, despite the disappointment of last Saturday.

More articles of this quality from the site please, it's what sets TLW out and what I miss most about not having the fanzine. Top stuff.

• Upvote 1

I feel hugely positive about where we’re headed. I believe Klopp’s expertise is helping to rebuild and re-establish the club, let alone team, with foundations of competence, unity and modern relevance it will retain even after he one day leaves. I still can’t shake the unsettling feeling of being subject to a gypsy curse enough to truly believe unqualified success in the form of trophies will come with it, for now.

Everything seems to be coming up trumps at the moment, with Chelsea in limbo, Mourinho’s United at least deeply uninspiring and dysfunctional, what should be a couple of seasons’ tricky rebuilding ahead for an Arsenal with an impatient fanbase to placate (claiming the “Emery bored” headline in advance) and the potential for Madrid to make fighting in a sewer seem clean with efforts to unsettle Tottenham’s manager.

However, that seems to be the very time fate kicks us hardest in the knackers of late, especially when we’re getting into full voice about what is to come. As a result, what happened in the final reinforces a so-near-yet-so-far-fatalism I just can’t shake for the time being, in terms of presuming it will happen under him, rather than blow up in our faces again like another horrible practical joke.

I’m not quite Herbie Hyde peeling himself off the canvas for the 9th time against Bowe cowed, but I definitely prefer to see what happens for now in hope more than expectation. If that is seen as defeatist and milquetoast, so be it.

Certainly enjoying what’s unfolding and regularly excited by watching us play purely for its own reward, which is at its highest consistent levels since the late 80’s...parts of 2013/14 were equally and maybe even more pinch-yourself thrilling, despite how it ended, but I think under Klopp this season the average level was higher.

Crucially, the foundations for it to be repeated, next season and in those to follow after, even if for example Salah upped and left, appear to be built on stone rather than the sand that ultimately was. Onward and upwards, albeit with the guard up for now.

It's gonna be hard to rival the Man City steamroller, but a few other big signings, which now seem entirely realistic, and at least on paper, we'll look like serious title contenders. The future is wholly positive and the only worry is we have to win a trophy soon, if only for Klopp's sanity.