Quantcast
Zidane Resigns! - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
VERBAL DIARRHEA

Zidane Resigns!

Pochettino 100%. Spurs fans bricking it right now.

Who will they end up with..... Levy will go big. New stadium, decent young players and champions league footy.... good looking project for a lot of managers that. Pochettino would be silly to fuck off to a poisoned chalice now.

Who will they end up with..... Levy will go big. New stadium, decent young players and champions league footy.... good looking project for a lot of managers that. Pochettino would be silly to fuck off to a poisoned chalice now.

Levy is a smart bugger, he made Pochettino sign a new contract a few days ago so the payout will be huge. He anticipated this. I reckon they'll go for Jardim or try to steal Sarri from Chelsea. You could be in for a bit of squeaky bum time if they cast their eyes at Brendan. 

Up there with Maldini is my favourite ever none Liverpool or Celtic player.

My favourite by far. Incredible player, humble guy. 97/98 juve team was majestic with him in.

Real Madrid will want to test Mauricio Pochettino’s desire to stay at Tottenham Hotspur following the shock resignation of their manager Zinedine Zidane, but suspect Juventus’ Massimiliano Allegri will be a more obtainable target.

Zidane’s sudden departure, just five days after leading the club to their third successive European Cup triumph, caught the Real hierarchy completely by surprise. The Frenchman only informed president Florentino Pérez on Wednesday night that he wanted to leave and refused to listen to attemps to persuade him to change his mind.

“I have taken the decision not continue as coach of Real Madrid next year,” Zidane said. “I spoke to the president to explain what I thought. I think it is the moment, for me and for the squad. I know it is a bit of a strange moment, but I think it is the right moment.

“This is a team that should keep on winning and it needs a change for that. After three years, it needs another discourse, another working methodology, and that’s why I took this decision.”

“There are complicated moments in the season when you ask: ‘Am I still the right person? I don’t forget the hard moments too. There are lovely moments and we ended with a spectacular moment but there are hard moments that make you reflect.”

Perez revealed he had tried to persuade Zidane, who also won La Liga and two World Club Championships after replacing Rafa Benitez two and a half years ago, to reconsider. He described it as a “sad day” for Europe’s most successful club adding that it was “totally unexpected.”

Real were still enjoying the afterglow of the celebrations that followed victory over Liverpool in the Champions League final last weekend and had not been expecting the stress of searching for a new manager. There was an uneasy mood in the Spanish capital as people digested the news.

The shock will not last long. Real are already assessing the credentials of potential replacements and will not worry about upsetting anyone in their pursuit of them.

165044863_AFP_FBL-ESP-LIGA-REAL-MADRID_t
Zidane announced his decision to step down as Real Madrid head coach in a press conference alongside president Florentino Perez Credit: AP 

Pochettino is much admired by Perez, because of his work in England with Tottenham – who beat Real in the Group Stages of the Champions League last season - and Southampton, but also at Espanyol in La Liga.

It seems inevitable there will be some sort of approach to the 46-year-old’s representatives in the next few days, if only to ask if he has any interest in the job. The initial feeling is that he would prefer to stay with Tottenham, but that will not stop them asking the question.

Madrid are used to getting their own way, both in terms of recruiting players and managers, but they appreciate it will be hard to prise the Argentinian away from London, particularly as he signed a new five year contract just a few days ago.

That contract, which greatly improved his personal terms, does not include a release clause and will ensure Spurs fight hard to keep him.

That is likely to strengthen Allegri’s position. The Italian, who has just won the title with Juventus, said he wanted to stay in Italy earlier this month, but that was before the Madrid job became available.

Real could also turn to former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. The 68- year-old is out of work for the first time in 22 years and has been of interest to Madrid in the past.

The media in Spain has played down the Frenchman’s chances, but if others are reluctant to step into Zidane’s shoes, he could be perceived as a safe pair of hands, much like Sir Bobby Robson was at Barcelona following the end of Johan Cruyff’s reign in the mid-90s.

165055526_Getty-Images-Europe_Real-Madri
Perez reacts to Zidane's decision to quit as head coach  Credit: Getty Images

There could also be potential ramifications for Chelsea. Antonio Conte is expected to be removed this summer, despite winning the FA Cup Final in his second season in England, to go with the Premier League title he secured in his first year.

He is also likely to be come under consideration, as might the man tipped to replace him at Stamford Bridge, former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri.

Whoever steps into the void left by Zidane, who became one of the club’s greatest managers after previously excelling as a player, will have a huge task ahead. As well as trying to close the gap on Barcelona, who finished 17 points ahead of them in La Liga, the new man will be expected to live up his incredible success in Europe.

On top of that, they will also have to deal with the doubts over Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale’s desire to stay on, although the latter will be encouraged that he could have a brighter future if he stays given Zidane’s departure.

Much like he did as a player, when he retired with a year remaining on his contract in the Spanish capital, Zidane has timed his exit perfectly, adopting the principle that it is always best to leave the stage with the audience wanting more.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/31/zinedine-zidane-resigns-real-madrid-manager-days-champions/

Had we won the final he would have been sacked. Good move from him.

I cant help thinking that sort of side is a self playing piano, unless you stifle them, so remains to be seen what Zidane has as a manager in my book.

Best player i ever watched live though.

Had we won the final he would have been sacked. Good move from him.

I cant help thinking that sort of side is a self playing piano, unless you stifle them, so remains to be seen what Zidane has as a manager in my book.

Best player i ever watched live though.

Yes I agree with that.

Wonder who they will go for. Ponchettino?

It's reported in the web site aggregate, that they intend to buy out Klopps contract a 28 million clause and double his wages, if he accepts it's good night nurse

It's reported in the web site aggregate, that they intend to buy out Klopps contract a 28 million clause and double his wages, if he accepts it's good night nurse

Meanwhile,in the real world...

Be good news all round if the chubby hamster goes there to replace him.

Obvious damage to Spurs, and in addition either won’t be available to replace the skidmark at United when he leaves or stands the chance of being somewhat shop-soiled for the experience.

Be good news all round if the chubby hamster goes there to replace him.

Obvious damage to Spurs, and in addition either won’t be available to replace the skidmark at United when he leaves or stands the chance of being somewhat shop-soiled for the experience.

zEoPb4S.gif

Text my mate who supports Leeds for a laugh and said - Zidane could be on his way to Leeds , He was like “ye mate, but hearing we’ve already appointed a new manager” like he honestly believed they could get him haha ffs

• Upvote 1

Don't see Zidane coaching anywhere else, except maybe the French national team. He was tailor made to manage Real and I doubt he could replicate that success at another club.

Poch would be a good replacement for him although I doubt he'd leave Spurs at this moment to go to a circus like Real, knowing he'd be sacked if he didn't win either the league or Champions League in his first season.

Don't see Zidane coaching anywhere else, except maybe the French national team. He was tailor made to manage Real and I doubt he could replicate that success at another club.

Poch would be a good replacement for him although I doubt he'd leave Spurs at this moment to go to a circus like Real, knowing he'd be sacked if he didn't win either the league or Champions League in his first season.

Zidane could go to juventus.