You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Chelsea’s bubble about to burst?

Not sure I can post the twitter link from my phone but this is from the secret footballer posted 23 mins ago

I’m hearing that Chelsea football club is in the process of being sold to Jim Radcliffe for £2bn.

Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe is a British billionaire chemical engineer turned financier and industrialist. Wikipedia

Net worth: £21.05 billion

Might mean they keep Hazard and Courtois. John Terry was signing for us until Abramovich rode in at the last minute and made sure he stayed.

Remember that, still can't decide if im happy it fell through or not.

Obviously a great CB but a twat,

Also not sure how it would have worked with us. hyypia was still at his peak and really not sure a Carra-Terry partnership would have worked

Not sure I can post the twitter link from my phone but this is from the secret footballer posted 23 mins ago

I’m hearing that Chelsea football club is in the process of being sold to Jim Radcliffe for £2bn.

Chelsea have debts of £1bn (owed to Ambramovic), they don't even own their entire ground. Not a chance anyone is buying them for £2bn.

Jim Ratcliffe is rich as fuck. That said, he's smart too so no idea why he'd want to get into football.

He's bought some shit Swiss football club only last year.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-11-13/ineos-adds-swiss-soccer-team-to-its-array-of-noncore-investments

Ineos, the Anglo-Swiss chemical company that recently bought the fashion brand Belstaff, is adding a soccer club.

Although Ineos founder Jim Ratcliffe is a fan of the English Premier League stalwart Manchester United, he set his sights a little lower for his foray into team ownership. Ineos is buying Lausanne Football Club, which plays in front of crowds of 5,000 or so at a stadium that is 30 minutes’ drive from the company’s offices in Switzerland. The price paid to owner Alain Joseph wasn’t disclosed.

Lausanne plays in the Swiss Super League, the country’s top league. Ineos hopes the team can start to qualify for prestigious Europe-wide events, said Joseph Wade, an Ineos spokesman. That would require winning the Swiss competition, for the top-tier Champions League, or finishing near the top for the second-level Europa League.

“That will take a lot of time and investment,” said Robin Fasel, a Swiss-based freelance soccer writer. “Lausanne is not a football city.” The team finished ninth of 10 teams in the Swiss league last season and hasn’t won it since 1965.

Sports and physical fitness run deep in the culture of Ineos, which already invests in youth soccer in its Swiss region and is planning to open academies for the sport in Botswana and Namibia. The company’s charity arm also sponsors Run for Fun, which aims to get 5-to-10-year-old schoolchildren into running, and a program in schools called the Daily Mile.

Ineos, which operates an ambitious shale-gas arm, recently has been in court against antifracking campaigners in the U.K. who are trying to overturn a broad injunction against protesters. The judge has reserved judgment on the case.

Ineos is also seeking U.K. government support for the production of a new 4x4 vehicle modeled on Land Rover’s classic Defender.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Pretty sure Ratcliffe is a self declared united fan but had \ has a chelsea season ticket because they were his nearest successful club.

Just dont understand that logic. Personally I cant even watch other teams on the telly but even for blokes who do watch other games why would you buy a season ticket for a club you dont support??

45 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Just dont understand that logic. Personally I cant even watch other teams on the telly but even for blokes who do watch other games why would you buy a season ticket for a club you dont support??

When you have the financial means to have your own box at OT and helicopter in and out every weekend? 

Makes no fucking sense at all. 

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

He's basically Roger Nouveau from The Fast Show, changing allegiances depending on which way the wind blows.

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

At a time I used to go home and away with Liverpool, I had a fulham season ticket for about 3 or 4 years. I started when Keegan was there and went into the tigana period. The season ticket was buttons, I'd get to 10 games or so, but it meant if I went I was with my mates - where as I couldn't get in that section paying week to week. It was sound and if they'd have stayed in the championship (so loads of midweek games), I might have kept it. But once they were in the premier League, it reduced the games I went to and then I bought a flat back in Liverpool and would spend all weekend home and not just travel for the match. But if you are with your mates, you can afford it and are in location, why not? 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

At a time I used to go home and away with Liverpool, I had a fulham season ticket for about 3 or 4 years. I started when Keegan was there and went into the tigana period. The season ticket was buttons, I'd get to 10 games or so, but it meant if I went I was with my mates - where as I couldn't get in that section paying week to week. It was sound and if they'd have stayed in the championship (so loads of midweek games), I might have kept it. But once they were in the premier League, it reduced the games I went to and then I bought a flat back in Liverpool and would spend all weekend home and not just travel for the match. But if you are with your mates, you can afford it and are in location, why not? 

I used to go and watch Pompey loads when I lived there too. Good laugh, but if footy and a few beers. Helps not being invested in the result either especially when they’re shite! 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Not knocking it by any means I just dont have the interest to watch other sides. I would sooner watch a good amateur game. My post was more in ref to the millionaire who could afford to go and watch the side he supports rather than just a side that is conveniently located.