You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar Blerts -- Pedals/Pedal Board

TheHowieLama

OK -- so I have gone back and forth on this alot. Too much.

Right now we are a pretty big band - 8 piece - but I am going through a smaller is better mindset on my rig.

To the point where I have started using my original issue Sansamp direct into the board. We play mostly 50-100 people in small clubs -- outdoor spaces -- private parites. That kind of thing. There is something liberating about not carrying an amp and tbh - it sounds better, does not feel as loud, and is more balanced throughout the audience and onstage as well. Also we use an acoustic guitar player and it is way easier to get a good balance between the two going direct.

That said I have kept two pedals to form small board (after carrying near a dozen for years)

Lovepedal Rubber Chicken into a DD-5 and I hogged out an old Boss three pedal case to fit the Sans Amp - so those three. I get just enough dirt at full on to not carry an overdrive/boost but still have both an original Big Muff and one of the great pedals of all time a DRHive double - but I really dont need distorted tones.

Still have a WayHuge Aqua Puss and a Morley Echo Plus as well as a HK Rotosphere -- but they are all so freaking big I can't go back. I have the old square button Tube Screamer and the one pedal I would consider adding back in the square red button Ibanez Compressor -- but it doesn't take a power supply so I would need to get it modded or still carry around a 4 pack of 9 volts.

Anywhoos -- whats in your board and are there any great new pedals to check out ??!

As you can see I haven't moved beyond about 92. I do love the sound of the Strymons but I have put an old PCM-60 into our PA rack that I use through the mixer for my reverb.

I'm not a guitarist (well not a proper one) but the guitarist in my band has the most ridiculous pedal board you could ever see. I'll take a picture of it at our next rehearsal to show you. Massive overkill. Simple is best, in my ignorant view.

This. I've only recently started experimenting with a Q-Tron and Big Muff (chortle). For years bass, lead, amp was all I needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/06/2018 at 08:31, Boss said:

That new Line 6 HX effects is very intriguing.  

About a month ago I broke down and got an HX Stomp. Added the Mission EXP pedal to it and it is tits.

Freakin great - replaced everything I have except the Chicken and can go balanced stereo straight into the board with amp/cab sim. It is expensive but when you consider you do not need an amp and you can ditch a half dozen pedals it is a killer. Guitar in gig bag - two pedals on a small board - carry everything in one trip, set up in minutes.

Headphone out makes it the ultimate practice rig as well.

Easily the best guitar purchase I have made in recent years.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've got a couple of boards but my favourite pedals are an original Neunaber Wet reverb pedal (which sounds incredible), and a cheapo Chinese compressor called a Moen Unicomp.

Will need to come back for Neunaber rep - my brother in law plays a fair bit as well and has a couple of their pedals - I used his Immerse for awhile. Will check out Moen - love pedals me.

5 minutes ago, The-Sir said:

My current set up is RAT, Fuzz Factory, EHX Canyon, EXH LPB-1, Earthquaker Plumes and a custom build compressor by these guys https://www.twspedals.com

Considering swapping out the Fuzz Factory for a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, or one of these Hungry Beavers, meant to be pretty wild sounding ;

https://www.soundladliverpool.co.uk/

Nice -  Earthquaker has some really good stuff -- I used an Avalanche Run for awhile. Walrus is killer too, swapped in their Arp 87 for that. The Stomp has a really good version of a similar delay tone "Transistor" - degraded echoplex type stuff plus you can ride the feedback with exp pedal.

The Walrus is great cuz you can engage full feedback by holding down the Tap switch, but using the Exp pedal on the HX lets you "surf" the self oscillation. 

• Upvote 1