You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you give Van Dijk the armband next season?

Bjornebye

I think it's largely immaterial these days, considering the decline of the archetypal 'leader' type. Personally, I reckon the idea of a club captaincy is going the way of being a largely symbolic gesture, ie to longest serving player. Cahill wasn't a regular for Chelsea last season, Kompany's had a fitness record that would make Duncan Ferguson blush, Valencia can't even speak English and to be honest, I couldn't say with any great certainty who Spurs' or Arsenal's skippers were last season.

Van Dijk reminds me of Carragher in the sense that he doesn't need the validation of the armband- he was just concerned with organising the defence and making sure things were right there- whereas Gerrard probably did, and it helped raise his game to even greater heights.

I reckon Hendo will keep it. Klopp clearly thinks a lot of him and by all accounts, the players do too. He may not be first choice next season, but he'll get his fair share of games next season. Not sure I get the obsession with bombing out so many players who have improved under the manager when squad depth was clearly the issue last season. Keep what we have bar the obvious exits, another 2-3 in and we'll be laughing.

• Upvote 1

Cant take it off Henderson. That would be a huge break in trust. Klopp does not work like that.

If he is not in the side give it to VVD and let it evolve, don't demote him.

It's stuff like this that makes me miss Rafa.

He walked into Chelsea and dropped Terry cos' he was coasting.

The man didn't give a fuck.

That said I agree with everything you've said, it would break Henderson if it happened.

I reckon another season like he has had would be more appropriate in my opinion captaincy should be a person who has been a team player for a wee bit longer

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised you didn't throw a smiley in that reply just for good measure. 

• Upvote 2

It's stuff like this that makes me miss Rafa.

He walked into Chelsea and dropped Terry cos' he was coasting.

The man didn't give a fuck.

That said I agree with everything you've said, it would break Henderson if it happened.

Are we running a creche?  Paisley would take it off him and give him a boot up the arse for good measure.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think whoever is captain matters that much, and I don’t think Klopp does either, so it’ll still be Hendo next season as the longest serving player.

Agreed. The way he’s going though, half the team will have been captains somewhere in their careers.

Sometimes people just walk in to the club and they’re the captain whether you give them the armband or not. Klopp doesn’t seem the type to create difficult situations though. They generally arise from his inaction/he lets them get to the situation where the player can have no arguments. For that reason I can’t see him taking it off Henderson in the summer.

I don’t think Van Dijk will expect it and he could ruffle some feathers amongst the English contingent/Hendo’s mates if he does it. I know most people’s reaction is to say they can fuck off etc but it’s a reality and Klopp’s whole ethos is around team harmony and motivation.

I personally think Henderson will start the season as captain and it will only change if he comes out of the side by either injury or dropping down the pecking order. It’s not a given that either will happen in my opinion and even then he will give him some grace. It’s then whether Van Dijk or Milner are fit and being picked themselves as they are the only two credible candidates to take it off him.

• Upvote 2

I reckon another season like he has had would be more appropriate in my opinion captaincy should be a person who has been a team player for a wee bit longer

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Didn't phase Steve Bruce when he gave it straight to Terry as soon as he arrived, bombing out the poor lad who was captain! that said I thought that was pretty shitty of Bruce but there we go

• Upvote 1

My first thought is "yes" especially as I can't see Henderson being  regular starter and I think the Captain should be. I also agree with those that say Klopp doesn't work like that no matter what we think.

I like the idea of Virgil being Vice Captain but having the armband on the pitch and gradually phasing Hendo out. However would that be harsh on Milner?!

• Upvote 1

If he's a Liverpool player next year then he's going to be captain, and I'm pretty certain he'll still be here.

There's no way that he gets it taken off him while he's at the club, it would be embarrassing for him and would only cause upset and disruption in the team.

The last time an established captain had the armband taken from him and still remained at the club was when it was taken from Sami and given to Stevie. Sami was quite unhappy about it at the time, but he and everyone else understood Geds reason for doing it. Stevie was a homegrown, passionate red who was likely to be at the club and be captain for over a decade, and making him captain helped him kick on even more than he had done previously, the added responsibility worked wonders for him.

Give it to my man Trent.

Fekir apparently has a Suarez level will to win and is Lyon captain, Van Dijk just oozes leadership and captains Holland, Henderson has captained England and is our current captain, Milner has captained us and England, TAA seems like a leader despite his youth, Oxlade-Chamberlain looked captain material to me the way he defended Coutinho in that interview and has the capacity to inspire the way he drives on with the ball, Lallana was captain of Southampton, Wijnaldum was PSV captain at a very young age, Keita is probably Guina Captain fuck knows though!

The point I’m getting at is we have quite a few captains and former captains in our ranks, the more the better I think. The overriding choice for me is Van Dijk all day long, he’s a proper captain and a proper leader.

Is Henderson going to be a regular starter next season? I can’t see it with Keita and Fabinho coming in. For me it should be Van Dijk. Henderson as vice captain. I’m not anti-Henderson and it might seem harsh stripping him of it after the final but Van Dijk could captain this club for the next 5 years +. From his first game he has acted like a leader. Plus he is a big hard bastard and doesn’t endorse Nivea.

that right, Nivea endorse Van Dijk.