You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you give Van Dijk the armband next season?

Bjornebye

Is Henderson going to be a regular starter next season? I can’t see it with Keita and Fabinho coming in. For me it should be Van Dijk. Henderson as vice captain. I’m not anti-Henderson and it might seem harsh stripping him of it after the final but Van Dijk could captain this club for the next 5 years +. From his first game he has acted like a leader. Plus he is a big hard bastard and doesn’t endorse Nivea.

Out of the players I’ve seen play for us this season, yes I would give it to Van Dijk. Having said that, my general preference is for a midfielder to be captain, and we’ve got two new ones coming in. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was up for grabs in the off-season, although I also wouldn’t be surprised if Henderson starts the season in our first choice midfield. If we keep the 4-3-3 I could see Fabinho holding, Keita left and Henderson right. If that happens then I think Henderson will keep it, even if I think Ox could eventually supplant him at that role when fit.

If we sign Fekir then I can’t see Henderson being a regular starter here, unless Klopp views the former less as a midfielder and more as someone to spell the front 3, or perhaps if we switch to a 4-2-3-1 as our preferred formation.

At the end if the day whatever Klopp decides is ok with me. We don't know the internal dynamics of the squad and whether or not demoting Hendo would cause issues, Right now we seem to be happy ship and that's the most important consideration.

• Upvote 1

I think that waaaaay too much time & energy are spent on "who should be captain" debates.

That said, since we're talking about it, I would in fact give it to van Dijk.

The captain has to be someone who

1)is one of our better players/a clear starter at least,

2)speaks good English for the times he has to communicate with the ref, and

3)has the temperament to put some pressure on the referee (or even a teammate) if he has to.

It's also a plus if he's been in the squad for a while and has earned the respect of his teammates, and also it's nice if it really means something to him.

So, the players that meet the 3 requirements as of this past season are Robertson, van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold, Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Salah. Of those, Henderson, Milner, and Oxlade-Chamberlain are probably not automatic starters next season, so that leaves TAA, van Dijk, Robertson and Salah.

I'd give it to van Dijk over the other three, just because Trent is too young and between the others van Dijk seems more of a natural leader. Although I'd be more than happy to see it go to Robertson or Salah to be honest. Or even Henderson when he's on the pitch, and surely he'll still get 1500 minutes or so at least.