You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We are finally going to have a pretty hard squad. First time we can say we have had one since Gerrard, Mascherano, Reina, Kuyt and Carragher were playing. 

Van Dijk

Fabinho

Keita

Robertson

Hard bastards. 

Yes, but if we have Henderson as Captain and Korius in goal it will be worthless.

Change Captain, replace goalkeeper and the hardness of modern football will be purposeful.

A midfield of Fabinho, Keita, Ox, and potentially Fekir, with Hendo, Gini and Milner as squad options fills me with glee. Realistically would expect a departure or two, Can obviously has gone and Lallana will probably follow.

I hope we keep Lallana. He has been unlucky with injuries this season but has shown signs of absolute class when fit. He deserves next season to try and break into the side. 

I hope we keep Lallana. He has been unlucky with injuries this season but has shown signs of absolute class when fit. He deserves next season to try and break into the side. 

He deserves fuck all.  Muck like Sturridge.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't see how Lallana gets into the team next year.

He's hopeless in the wide forward role, maybe he'll be the fifth-choice there or something but it will be Salah, Mane, Fekir and then probably another signing (Dembele?) ahead of him. Lallana is just too slow to play there for us, as the CL final showed.

And in the front two spots in the midfield he'll have Keita, Fekir, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wijnaldum ahead of him and he can fight it out with Milner for fifth-choice. I mean, he'll get some minutes because we play two of those players but I'd be surprised if he got more than 1500 minutes in the league.

Add to that the fact that Woodburn is getting to the age where he probably needs 1000 minutes or so and also that this is probably the last summer we could get any money for Lallana and he needs to be sold. We could probably just about get £10-15m for him from some club with more money than sense.

A midfield of Fabinho, Keita, Ox, and potentially Fekir, with Hendo, Gini and Milner as squad options fills me with glee. Realistically would expect a departure or two, Can obviously has gone and Lallana will probably follow.

This Ox fella has improved exponentially since his injury but I'd hold your horses as he's barely settled into the squad and was still struggling with consistency before his injury.

• Upvote 1

This Ox fella has improved exponentially since his injury but I'd hold your horses as he's barely settled into the squad and was still struggling with consistency before his injury.

Definitely the odd one out there.  IF the other two fulfil the hype then it really wouldn't matter which 6/10 current player we use to make up the numbers.   The bright side is it'll be someone ok, there's not many dreadful footballers left in the squad these days.

He outplayed Silva and De Bruyne, two of the best CMs in the last 10 years. The latter has drawn comparisons with Steven Gerrard. He’d earned our trust and patience IMO.

He outplayed Silva and De Bruyne, two of the best CMs in the last 10 years. The latter has drawn comparisons with Steven Gerrard. He’d earned our trust and patience IMO.

It takes many games over a good while before judging a player and hinting he's better than De Bruyne and Silva based on a couple of games is plainly ridiculous. City actually battered us for the first half of the second leg and all of our midfield struggled big time. Like I said,hold your horses until we actually see the lad back in action for a bit.

• Upvote 2

It takes many games over a good while before judging a player and hinting he's better than De Bruyne and Silva based on a couple of games is plainly ridiculous. City actually battered us for the first half of the second leg and all of our midfield struggled big time. Like I said,hold your horses until we actually see the lad back in action for a bit.

He isn’t as good as them yet, but he proved that he was capable of performing to a very high level in a relatively new role, so much so that he outperformed them. Before he got injured he was clearly our best midfielder. Saying you’re excited to have him back playing isn’t going overboard IMO.

This. They controlled the possession and territory for huge chucks of both games, and we could barely get out of our third. We defended well enough as a unit as city usually find a way to break teams down but to say the Ox is better than them on that showing let alone the whole season is misguided IMO.

This. They controlled the possession and territory for huge chucks of both games, and we could barely get out of our third. We defended well enough as a unit as city usually find a way to break teams down but to say the Ox is better than them on that showing let alone the whole season is misguided IMO.

Most ratings sites had him better than them in the home leg. He was also imperious in the league game at Anfield earlier in the year. As above, I wasn’t saying that he is better than them yet. We clearly suffered without him though. We won only game one game from five played after he got injured.