You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 1 month later...

I remember this thread well. When I went to bed, it didn't exist. I woke up to 8 pages, even though the actual thread was only a couple of hours old! It's all turned out pretty well too. 

I'm looking forward to this summer's (well winter's ffs) version. 

Probably has been said by someone earlier on in the thread but I only found out the other day that he played for Real Madrid while Mourinho was manager (made one substitute appearance for the first team according to Wiki).

Fabinho-now-of-Liverpool-during-his-Real-Madrid-days-966204.jpg

5 hours ago, Jenson said:

Probably has been said by someone earlier on in the thread but I only found out the other day that he played for Real Madrid while Mourinho was manager (made one substitute appearance for the first team according to Wiki).

He's dead to me now

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jenson said:

Alonso rated him apparently , I know who's opinion i would rate his or Shitcoats any day of the week 

18 hours ago, rotoq said:

Shitcoat has quite the knack for ignoring the talents of great players.

Really? Man Utd boss Mourinho refused to go for Liverpool signing Fabinho over 'versatility'

by Paul Vegas a year ago 

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/really-man-utd-boss-mourinho-refused-to-go-for-liverpool-signing-fabinho-over-versatility-4233757

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho chose to give Liverpool signing Fabinho a swerve because of his versatility, it has been claimed.

The Manchester Evening News says the suggestion the Brazilian rejected an approach from United at any stage is false.

United manager Mourinho had ruled out a move for Fabinho, having identified Tottenham's Eric Dier and Nemanja Matic as his first and second-choice defensive midfield targets.

Mourinho's preference was to recruit an established Premier League player and Fabinho was also partly dismissed because he was a converted midfielder, having begun his Monaco career at right-back.

Fabinho joined Liverpool from Monaco on Monday night in a deal worth £39million.

tenor.gif?itemid=11633238

On 27/06/2019 at 08:22, VladimirIlyich said:

I remember people saying he was going to oust Henderson from the line up while I said him and Henderson actually complimented each other. Glad Jurgen felt the same way.

Yeah I was one of those people, I forgot how good Henderson was further forward. Glad I was wrong. 

And fair play to Henderson too, I went from thinking he was grandaded into the team to thinking he is one of our most important players in the space of a couple of months. 

What a time to be a red. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/06/2019 at 08:22, VladimirIlyich said:

I remember people saying he was going to oust Henderson from the line up while I said him and Henderson actually complimented each other. Glad Jurgen felt the same way.

Which, I guess, is why Henderson didn't play much until he was moved. Good call Vlad. 

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Which, I guess, is why Henderson didn't play much until he was moved. Good call Vlad. 

32 PL appearances in 2018/19 would seem to suggest Jurgen was happy to play Henderson pretty much all of the season. Why have to put down Henderson to try and big up Fabinho when both were excellent?

41 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

32 PL appearances in 2018/19 would seem to suggest Jurgen was happy to play Henderson pretty much all of the season. Why have to put down Henderson to try and big up Fabinho when both were excellent?

Over a third of those were from the bench. I’m not putting Henderson down, I’m trying to stop you throwing your shoulder out. 

He did a podcast for Globoesporte and these are the snippets of what he said.

• Says Jürgen's training is on another level. The intensity is always cranked up to the max and it was hard to keep up in the beginning

• Says the boys were always reassuring that he'd get his chance after a while, and that the same happened to Robbo and some of the other guys

• Fabinho talks about the day after the Huddersfield match, when he trained with the boys that didn't play. Towards the end of training, Fabinho, exhausted, laid down in the pitch and Pep came to him and said -"Come, Fabinho, just a little more". A pretty important moment for him as it signaled his breakthrough as a starter

• Talks about the Huddersfield and United matches and how that was the turning point for him as a starter and when our football "clicked" to him

• Virgil's always cracking jokes and is a fun guy all around

• Virgil Van Djik shouts his own name ("VIRG!!!") whenever he's about to go for a ball in the box and everyone knows it's time to make way

• Pep Lijnders speaks Portuguese and talked more to Fabinho than Klopp in the beginning

• Fabinho's in awe of everything Van Djik related. Goes as far as to not have words and gasp trying to describe his dominance

• Van Djik and Wij are Fabinho's best mates and helped him settle right from the get-go

• Salah's reserved but talkative. Happiest guy in the world when around Lovren

• Salah's playful with Fabinho and challenges him to speak english around the other players (corrected by my man /u/mattcrvg)

• He was surprised that Hendo and Milner were always talking him through things in the locker room, given that he was the main threat to their places in the XI. Thought it was very nice from them (credit to /u/mattcrvg)

• Fabinho calls our dutch boy Gini

• Salah's the main star of the team in his opinion, but he'd give VVD the Ballon D'or for his performance this season

• Fabinho's always wished to play with/against Messi. Talks about how even his long legs and patience were never enough to make a good tackle

• Fabinho's top 3 players in the world this season: VVD, Messi and Mané

• Says a team effort is the absolute most important thing for success currently in football. "Individual talent doesn't work miracles anymore"

• In the dressing room at Camp Nou after the match, Jürgen laughed and congratulated the boys for they had played one of their best matches all year

• In the ice pool with Mané after the game, Klopp approaches Fab and asks: -"Gini said we'll get through next week. What do you think?"

Fab responds - "I'm sure of it"

Klopp goes - "Good. There's three of us already!"

• In the preparation for the second leg against Barça, even with Salah and Bobby out, the sentiment with the players was that they'd find a way to get through

• Things went by naturally during the match, exactly as it was planned, he says. After the second goal, he says he knew Barça was already out of the game

• Says the atmosphere had a huge influence that game. -"The stadium that day. Wow."

• Fabinho was already prepared for extra time and was caught by surprise like some of the other boys with the 4th goal.

• Origi said that he didn't see Arnold's corner, and that his shot was pure reflex

• Fabinho says there are only two pitches he's played where the atmosphere's really different from the rest in Europe: Olympique's Vélodrome and Anfield

• Says he never felt anything similar to the atmosphere in the 4-0

• Talks about the YNWA after the game. -"Everyone gathered around the Kop, looking back at the difficulty of the game without two world-class players... I almost teared up at one point, but Firmino told me something that made it go away"

• Sings a bit of YNWA around 40:20. Legend

• Says it would be really frustrating not to win a title after everything they did during the season for the fans, that are special around Liverpool

• Upvote 6