You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Real Madrid 3 (May 26 2018)

tlw content

I’m with Spy Bee in this , they were locking arms and as the stronger guy Ramos made sure he yanked Mo to the ground and tried to land on him to leave a bit on him but all this MMA stuff is way over the top. Turns out Mo only has s ligament sprain , not a separated shoulder or dislocated collar bone or anything particularly serious. Wondering whether we considered a pain killing jab , it was the CL final and our best player after all.

Agree on all of this. Special mention to Dejan - this was the guy who I hoped we were signing. He was fucking immense all night long and if anyone in the history of football didn’t deserve to be on the losing side it was him.

It was a totally pre-meditated attack designed to take out our best player.

He used his full weight to deliberately wrench his arm and didn't let go until he had made sure he had done as much damage as he could.....it was a totally pre-meditated act - much cleverer than kicking or a horrible tackle from behind because it is so much harder to spot and so much easier to get away with...as Dave Usher said it is pretty much an MMA move and is banned in a game as rough aussie rules...

It as horrible and snide as it was though is very, very clever - almost impossible to spot by ref as all can really see in real time on the park is two players tussling for the ball and falling together - so much smarter than trying to take someone out with a crunching tackle.

Many of us called it that they would out snide us/turn game with dark arts and Ramos did exactly that to massively reduce our attacking threat.

What isn't his fault though is that we could only call on an unfit midfielder to replace Salah - but that is a different conversation.

Ramos Knew exactly what he was doing, he had a good 2 seconds to unravel the arm lock he applied to Mo. But no his attitude was wriggle all you like little man your not going past me. And as he was falling to the ground he used his full weight to ensure Mo came crashing down with him at speed. 

Great report Dave, as usual. But as some one wrote, I don’t agree about the karius case. He’s too confident and casual, he owns that goal by his lack of focus. I know it’s hard to say that but come in such a mistake in such a game it’s a never vu !

Nearly 2 days later and it's still painful. Not because it happened but because of how it happened.

It's amazing to think that had we won it, we'd have joined a list of clubs to have won the trophy more than once in its current CL guise. And that is despite not having won our own domestic title since before the CL came into being. Not only that, but we've been to 3 finals which is more than Chelsea can claim. The Arab country-funded likes of Man City and PSG have yet to even reach the final. We've not even been ever-presents in Europe, never mind in the CL. And yet, we are regarded as one of those sides steeped in this competition no matter how strong or weak we are. The only other finalists to not have won their domestic league were Leverkusen, who've NEVER won the Bundesliga. Every other finalist has managed to win their domestic league.

A lot is being said about Klopp's losing run in cup finals. However, he's getting his teams to finals regularly which shows he has something about him. With us, he has had 2 European campaigns and got the team to the final on both occasions. OK, that's not as good as Zidane winning the Champions League in every season of his coaching career but it's still quite a feat, especially when you consider some of the personnel at Klopp's disposal.

• Upvote 2

Think just about everyone agrees we were on top in the first 30 minutes until the Mo incident and Real were clearly afraid of us. Going to be a big ask to get to the final next year as I would like us to concentrate on a league title push. Hopefully we can bring in some more quality for the team and a few of the younger lads step up to the squad. All of which makes Brewsters current situation all the more disappointing. I can understand the lad wanting to play but he is now on the verge of Liverpools first team and it looks like he is thinking the grass is better in Germany. Just makes you wonder some times.

Think just about everyone agrees we were on top in the first 30 minutes until the Mo incident and Real were clearly afraid of us. Going to be a big ask to get to the final next year as I would like us to concentrate on a league title push. Hopefully we can bring in some more quality for the team and a few of the younger lads step up to the squad. All of which makes Brewsters current situation all the more disappointing. I can understand the lad wanting to play but he is now on the verge of Liverpools first team and it looks like he is thinking the grass is better in Germany. Just makes you wonder some times.

I read recently the proposed move has been cancelled because the German club changed their mind.

Hope it’s true.

I'm surprised how quickly I have put the result to the back of my mind. Liverpool fought the good fight, they came up short. Analysing Karius's performance makes me appreciate how fragile is the construct whereby we put faith in a team to make us happy. Analysing Ramos's performance makes me appreciate how labels like 'streetwise' and 'professional' are applied to the act of being a cunt. All the world's a stage etc.

Anyway, a great read as always. I know Scousers take badly to praise so please be reassured that, despite the quality of your output, you're still a bollix.

• Upvote 4

Guest Alex_K

Good article. From the attack that started the season, we were short Coutinho, Chamberlain & Salah last night. Couple that with Kamikaze Karius, and you're on to an impossible job. Let's just hope the money is there to strengthen properly in the summer.

To clarify on the 'freakish' aspect of the Karius mistakes. I'm not suggesting he was unlucky or it wasn't his fault, clearly he made an horrific error of judgement on one and showed poor technique on the other.

The point I was making was that for the first one to happen in that moment, on that stage.... kinell. as I said, that's probably a one in a million occurrence.

He's never done it before, he'll never do it again, but the one time he did it was in a moment like that? Like Gerrard slipping over. Never before, never again. Why can't this kind of shit happen against Watford or West Brom when we're 5-0 up?

Just sick of this kind of freakish shit happening to us in the worst possible moments.

To clarify on the 'freakish' aspect of the Karius mistakes. I'm not suggesting he was unlucky or it wasn't his fault, clearly he made an horrific error of judgement on one and showed poor technique on the other.

The point I was making was that for the first one to happen in that moment, on that stage.... kinell. as I said, that's probably a one in a million occurrence.

He's never done it before, he'll never do it again, but the one time he did it was in a moment like that? Like Gerrard slipping over. Never before, never again. Why can't this kind of shit happen against Watford or West Brom when we're 5-0 up?

Just sick of this kind of freakish shit happening to us in the worst possible moments.

Why can't this kind of shit happen against Watford or West Brom when we're 5-0 up?

Is that not the point of these mistakes being as bad as they are and why they are indicative of poor mental strength, focus and ability. They happen when under extreme pressure. We cannot handle these situations, well certain people can’t.

Why can't this kind of shit happen against Watford or West Brom when we're 5-0 up?

Is that not the point of these mistakes being as bad as they are and why they are indicative of poor mental strength, focus and ability. They happen when under extreme pressure. We cannot handle these situations, well certain people can’t.

To a degree, but you think Gerrard slipped over against Chelsea because he couldn't handle the occasion?

To lose in the final like that after being the best team in the competition and the top scorers is just awful just harrowing I'm sick of football right now. I don't want to love a game where someone like Sergio Ramos is rewarded and admired and someone like Mo Salah is punished and injured.

• Upvote 3

Great write up. In terms of the Karius mistake, It was a 'what the fuck' moment ,and I still cant quite believe what he did. If he had taken a second and waited , given himself a moment then it would never of happened. He seemed keen to throw it out quickly and was totally unaware of Benzama's position on the pitch, although he was in his peripheral vision. Most keepers when they catch the ball in that situation, take a couple of steps back ,and look either side before throwing it out.  He seemed to have tunnel vision.  Can only think it was a combination of nerves, lack of focus, the occasion got to him, and inexperience and him being a bit daft. Klopp has to carry some of the blame, as i've always felt he had a few mega-howlers in him, and the keeper issue still is yet to be addressed.