You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal Post-Wenger

Ne Moe Imya

4 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Didn't Wenger replace Bruce Rioch? Could argue that appointing a mannequin could be seen as an upgrade in that case.

It seemed like an odd one at the time though, given that Rioch had finished 5th (up from 12th) the season before, and Wenger, as well as being unknown in this country, had a recent track record which suggested his best days as a manager were already behind him. 

On 21/12/2020 at 01:36, 3 Stacks said:

It's funny that despite having won a bunch of trophies in multiple places, Emery seemed like an average appointment at the time. And now only like two years later we're talking Rafa, who is practically a decade removed from his best, Nuno who has done nothing in his career except win the Championship and Hasenhuttl who similarly has almost no achievements.

Been a precipitous fall. Out of those three, though, Hasenhuttl would be by far the best choice.  Always a bit puzzled by the Nuno shouts in these discussions. He plays basic, bland counter attacking football. He'd have Arsenal finishing 6th every season. 

What a bizarre post. Building a squad with regular and realistic ambitions of European football isn't an achievement? Wolves were in the Championship when he took over, he's won the Everton Cup (7th place finish) 2 seasons in row. What constitutes achievement in your eyes?

Hassenhuttl has Southampton competitive in every game they play, they have a clear defined system where its obvious the plays know their roles and they buy into 100%. At his current trajectory he's heading for the managers seat for one of the top 2. Arsenal would be blessed to have him.

5 hours ago, No2 said:

What a bizarre post. Building a squad with regular and realistic ambitions of European football isn't an achievement? Wolves were in the Championship when he took over, he's won the Everton Cup (7th place finish) 2 seasons in row. What constitutes achievement in your eyes?

Hassenhuttl has Southampton competitive in every game they play, they have a clear defined system where its obvious the plays know their roles and they buy into 100%. At his current trajectory he's heading for the managers seat for one of the top 2. Arsenal would be blessed to have him.

Wolves' success is by far more a result of basically having Jorge Mendes as Director of Football. Nuno is just a decent manager who has been along for the ride. If you've watched Wolves at any time over the last couple years, you realize he's nothing special. 

You've said it yourself. Arsenal would be "blessed" to get someone like Hasenhuttl, who while being impressive, has won pretty much exactly nothing in his career? Arsenal used to be a big club with a big reputation. That is a terrible fall for them. 

Arteta the crackpot brings new meaning to the phrase "play the percentage game"....

'Last year we won the game against Everton with a 25 per cent chance of winning, you win 3-2,' he said ahead of the Carabao Cup clash with Manchester City.

'Last weekend, it was a 67 per cent chance of winning, any Premier League game in history, and a nine per cent chance of losing, and you lose.

'Three per cent against Burnley and you lose, seven per cent against Spurs and you lose. There is something else apart from that. It is not just the performance on the pitch, it is something else that needs to go our way and at the moment it doesn't.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Wolves' success is by far more a result of basically having Jorge Mendes as Director of Football. Nuno is just a decent manager who has been along for the ride. If you've watched Wolves at any time over the last couple years, you realize he's nothing special. 

You've said it yourself. Arsenal would be "blessed" to get someone like Hasenhuttl, who while being impressive, has won pretty much exactly nothing in his career? Arsenal used to be a big club with a big reputation. That is a terrible fall for them. 

The same clubs win everything every year so unless a manager happens to land one of those gigs then they will all have blank CV's. Pochettino has won nothing,  he is a good manager though. Nuno got a team I've never heard of into Europe, how can you not class that as an achievement?  Consecutive 7th place finishes is an achievement for Wolves. He is remodeling them this season, if he does it well his name will be in the running for all the big jobs as and when they come available.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, No2 said:

The same clubs win everything every year so unless a manager happens to land one of those gigs then they will all have blank CV's. Pochettino has won nothing,  he is a good manager though. Nuno got a team I've never heard of into Europe, how can you not class that as an achievement?  Consecutive 7th place finishes is an achievement for Wolves. He is remodeling them this season, if he does it well his name will be in the running for all the big jobs as and when they come available.

Not every manager who does a decent job, deserves a big job. Whether they do or not usually depends on the style of football and how dominant their teams can be. Nuno has never impressed in that sense, and secondly as I said, he benefits immensely from being the buddy of - and working with - one of the most powerful agents in football. There's nothing overly impressive about what Nuno, or what Wolves have done for that matter. When he'd supposedly be a coup for a club like Arsenal, it says a lot about where they've fallen, is my point.

7 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Arsenal were some side under Wenger, had just endless attacking options. Nasri, Fabregas, Rosicky, Van Persie, Adebayor, Walcott, Hleb, Ramsey. Used to absolutely play us off the park, Rafa could never work them out.

Other than when we knocked that very side out of the European Cup?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I thought Rafa's record against Arsenal was rather good? 

I'd be interested to see that. I remember the champions League win and after that I mostly remember pain, but maybe that was at their place, with carra getting the run around off Henry - although I'm guessing that's mental scarring on my behalf as I'm sure Henry left way before Rafa did. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd be interested to see that. I remember the champions League win and after that I mostly remember pain, but maybe that was at their place, with carra getting the run around off Henry - although I'm guessing that's mental scarring on my behalf as I'm sure Henry left way before Rafa did. 

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/liverpool-fc/arsenal-fc/11/

Not as good as I thought, but not as bad as expected.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The one where Henry really butchered Carra was in the league under Ged as I recall. During the run-in following the infamous “ten games from greatness” comment.

EDIT: I say that like it only happened once. Really bad one in the FA Cup game under Rafa too, among other examples. Didn’t Carra say it was like chasing after someone on a motorbike?

26 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

The one where Henry really butchered Carra was in the league under Ged as I recall. During the run-in following the infamous “ten games from greatness” comment.

EDIT: I say that like it only happened once. Really bad one in the FA Cup game under Rafa too, among other examples. Didn’t Carra say it was like chasing after someone on a motorbike?

I always remember after that 1st time Henry had realised with carra the thing to do was just run right at him, no silky skills, nothing smart, just go full pelt and carra would panic. Carra played lots of other good forwards well over those years (including ones as quick as Henry), Henry really was his kryptonite. 

17 hours ago, No2 said:

Wolves are one dimensional.

They play on the counter very well and cause problems for even the better teams who come out at them as a result. They can't break down organised teams who sit deep though even those they have better players than as they take too few risks in their game.

It's why they regulalrly lose to sides like Burnley the other night and why a couple of years ago when Huddersfield won about three games all season that two of them were against Wolves.

Nuno deserves a top job in the same way Roy Hodgson did and I'm fairly sure he'd get similar levels of success as him if he gets one as tactically they're very similar.

11 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Other than when we knocked that very side out of the European Cup?

Memorable game. Adebayor doing his shit robot dance thing in front of their fans after equalising to put them ahead on away goals, and then 2 minutes later stood hands on hips shaking his head, preparing to kick off with his side 3-2 down and very little time left.

Im loving arsenal fans sufferring. They were a pretty shit side through most of the 60's, nearly getting relegated a couple of times. They even lost a League Cup final to 3rd division side, Swindon. They suddenly won the double in 71 and a couple more FA Cup finals.

When Wenger came in he did revolutionise them but who can forget their fans favourite chants of 1-0 to the arsenal? Then there was their hoooooof chant. Anyone would think they were the paragons of footballing virtue.

Would be great if they did get relegated but like everton, I think there's at least 3 sides worse than them.

Bit of a wayward thread but Nuno has done a great job at Wolves. They've lost Jonny, Doherty, Jota, Jimenez from last year's team; Moutinho is now 34. That's half the outfield, and they've still had enough to beat Chelsea. The loss of Jimenez is a real killer because he's basically their only striker. They'd probably be 4th without that loss.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Im loving arsenal fans sufferring. They were a pretty shit side through most of the 60's, nearly getting relegated a couple of times. They even lost a League Cup final to 3rd division side, Swindon. They suddenly won the double in 71 and a couple more FA Cup finals.

When Wenger came in he did revolutionise them but who can forget their fans favourite chants of 1-0 to the arsenal? Then there was their hoooooof chant. Anyone would think they were the paragons of footballing virtue.

Would be great if they did get relegated but like everton, I think there's at least 3 sides worse than them.

They beat us in the '71 cup final, still one of my worst moments in watching football. Then the George Graham years of utterly mechanical football, culminating in robbing us of the title in 1989, also one of my worst moments. They were a good watch under Wenger when he was in his prime. Their problem was that they didn't deal with Wenger's future when it became an issue. Every Arsenal game for about 4 seasons was viewed through the prism of whether Wenger should stay or go. The result was that the players effectively got a pass; they could be awful but the focus would be on the manager and Arsenal are suffering for that now. The players aren't up to much but it's Arteta in the firing line. Any manager going in there, other than someone from the top tier is going to have their work cut out.

• Upvote 1