You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - The European Cup final

I think this is worse than Athens.

Athens was a fair and square defeat. We were the better team but Milan sucker punched us.

Yesterday, there were too many what ifs (Salah) and we conspired (we = Karius) to gift the game to Madrid. It was hugely frustrating. Cut out the two incredible goalkeeping errors and it's a close game.

Not possession wise, but chance wise.

Madrid had 5 attemps on target all game. One produced a good save from Karius. He saved another that was wide anyway. The other 4 attempts were Ronaldo's header, which was offside, Bale's worldie and the 2 gifted goals. They hit the bar too.

We hit the post. The Mané goal. The TAA chance. A few set piece threats. The cross were Firmino is waiting to nod it in and one of their defenders gets a vital touch on it. They had Robinson's tackle on Ronaldo. We had Ramos stopping Mané going through.

Neither team played that well or created loads. We just conspired to do exactly what I asked us not to do in a pre-match post. We didn't make them fight for the win. We handed it to them. Very, very cheaply. That's what makes it worse than Athens, for me. Comfortably.

Despite losing Mo our two most glaring deficiencies cost us that game last night namely ...

Lack of any strength in depth ( our bench was woeful) and the absence of a top level keeper, 

I believe Klopp and the owners are investing to strengthen the squad but they have to shoulder a lot of the blame for persevering with Mig and Karius, They may fooled some with the line that Karius would step up but he isn't a kid any longer and top keepers are self evident at his age, Klopp has flown in the face of many of the fans and the media in sticking by him but enough is enough and number one priority in the summer has to be a keeper.

We will have to start fast against these and blitz them early. I fear if we arent ahead on 75 mins we wont lift the trophy..

Jurgen needs to get in the players heads about being streetwise too.  These fuckers are masters of the dark arts, gamesmanship and the like.

Fucking see it coming a mile off.... although not the Karius bit

Ah well another defeat.

We're getting expert at fucking cup finals up.

Not to worry though we'll have some whopper saying we go again and I'm not even that gutted  and we did well just to get there. etc etc.

All of which I've heard today.

Spot on.

I'm gutted in the sense that it's a European Cup final, a competition a team outside the Spanish cartel are unlikely to see the final of more than once every 10-15 years (we're incredibly fortunate to have reached three since 2005 and absent a period of unprecedented investment, it's unlikely that we'll replicate that between 2019 and 2032) but it's not as bad as 2007 simply because that was a game in which we were undoubtedly the superior team and did not succumb to outright cheating. 

• Downvote 1

I'm gutted in the sense that it's a European Cup final, a competition a team outside the Spanish cartel are unlikely to see the final of more than once every 10-15 years (we're incredibly fortunate to have reached three since 2005 and absent a period of unprecedented investment, it's unlikely that we'll replicate that between 2019 and 2032) but it's not as bad as 2007 simply because that was a game in which we were undoubtedly the superior team and did not succumb to outright cheating.

I seem to recall some very dodgy refereeing in that. Outrageously bad. A lot of the detail has been purposefully forgotten though in my own mind. I do recall the ref adding on for injury time and then blowing up a full minute early. I don't think I've seen that happen before or after.

Losing is losing. Finals are for winning, not making up the numbers.

• Upvote 3

As I said before the game, losing a final is just a massive waste of time, energy and money.

No one remembers who got beat in a final, and top players don’t want to join teams that fail.

Shit teams and perennial losers recall final defeats. Im hoping we don’t become either.

• Upvote 4

It's hard. Need to be positive though.

We'll be back. We'll have new heroes. New hopes.  

No we don't we need to be fucking furious.

We've had this since Evans first season "we're back" then 2001 then 2005 then 2009 then when Kenny came back now this.

Where the fuck has staying positive got us?

Start with the two fucking twats in goal get rid of the pair of shithouses and replace them with Oblak or Alisson.

If it's Butland then make sure the club know that they are taking the fucking piss.

Anger not positivity will make the club listen.

Calmed down a bit now.

Until Mo got injured we were the better team and looked more likely to win.

That was deliberate by Ramos- intended to hurt Mo, probably didn't expect to dislocate the other shoulder. There's a reason that sort of tackle is illegal in rugby league- extended locked arm is very difficult to protect, and the cunt then rolled onto Mo as well to make sure.

Without Mo we looked shell shocked for a while but then recovered.

I'm surprised more is not being made of the blatant elbow by Ramos on Karius- WTF were the 5 officials doing? Reading a paper? I'm fed up with blind refs- all season we have had to put up with them. Bring on VAR. Straight red for Ramos, Madrid down to 10, us on top again.

We showed plenty of bottle getting back to 1-1-, and then almost making it 2-2. Without Karius having 2 massive brainfarts that game could easily have gone to penalties.

Ramos is a prick though, no two ways about it.

No we don't we need to be fucking furious.

We've had this since Evans first season "we're back" then 2001 then 2005 then 2009 then when Kenny came back now this.

Where the fuck has staying positive got us?

Start with the two fucking twats in goal get rid of the pair of shithouses and replace them with Oblak or Alisson.

If it's Butland then make sure the club know that they are taking the fucking piss.

Anger not positivity will make the club listen.

Until Oblak or Allison or whoever throws a goal or two in the net and then what. This all sounds sky tv generation shite. Defeat is a bitter pill to swallow. It is meant to be. People want our club to be like a Chelsea or City and just go a spend shitloads of money on a name and then when that name fails go out and spend a shitload more on another name ad infinitum. You might as well say get rid of 6 time loser Jurgen Klopp and get a manager in with a winning record. Yeah ok. Whatever.

As I said before the game, losing a final is just a massive waste of time, energy and money.

No one remembers who got beat in a final, and top players don’t want to join teams that fail.

Shit teams and perennial losers recall final defeats. Im hoping we don’t become either.

I'm not sure about that, I think getting that far is a massive statement when it comes to trying to attract players this summer, I really do.

When people say they don't remember second place, that depends on context. If it's real Madrid vs Barcelona or Bayern then maybe not, but if it's an 'up and coming' force then they often do.

If this had been, say, Madrid vs Dortmund or Ajax and we'd heard they had some great young players and a manager who'd been building a rep for years we'd have watched the game, probably been rooting for them and would probably keep an eye out for them next season.

In response to jimmycase- No excusing the performance of Karius last night. Wanting better than him is more aligned to the ethos of Shankly and Paisley, rather than the soft arsed passive acceptance of mediocrity or worse that you seem to advocate.

The most damning thing about last night was, as bad as the lad’s performance was, not one of our team - especially that fucking ‘captain’ - was man enough to go and pick the lad up off the floor at the end.

• Upvote 5