You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - The European Cup final

Fucking gutted for the lads and supporters, I got the whole game recorded so if anyone wants any moments from the game giffing give us a shout...before it goes in the trash bin :(

plzv42K.gif

Have you got the fan running onto the pitch and being taken out?

Yeah but what I saw from Karius last season I didn’t like. I didn’t see any point in dropping Mignolet then, for a goalie who I didn’t think was much better. I remember after the Arsenal game pointing out to posters that he’d made less costly errors than some world class goalkeepers; Cech and Lloris.

Karius is 6 years younger than Mignolet.  The dogshit Mignolet has been serving for years - the endless insecurity and nervousness he generates throughout the team and the fans - is as good as he is ever going to be.

Karius was 24 when he took over.  In goalkeeper years, that's still young.  There was still room for improvement, but he was never going to improve sitting on the bench.

Our back 5 has improved almost beyond recognition in the last 6 months.  Obviously, the main reason for that is the arrival of Van Dijk and the emergence of Robbo; but Karius has also been playing a key part of it, in a way that I just can't picture Mignolet doing.

The morning after the night before and the disappointment and hurt is starting to subside. I get the overwhelming feeling as far as the CL is concerned we peaked in the City games and Roma first leg. People can blame lack of squad depth and the rest if they want they are entitled to their view. I just think irrespective of your squad if you peak too early there is nothing having a big squad can do.

Someone put it last night that Zidane would have been loved by Napoleon because he only wanted lucky Generals. I agree. Zidane seems to do nothing but depend on a team of very good players and a whole heap of luck. I did not see any tactical brilliance from him against Juventus. I did not see any tactical brilliance from him against Bayern. Indeed it was a goalkeeping error that gave them the edge in that game.

Zidane seems to get through like Di Matteo did when Chelsea first won it by just letting the players play and a fair slice of luck. But what is done is done. If we had been caught by world class strikes I would still be disappointed and hurt. But we were not.

You cannot have a keeper who makes such schoolboy errors. I just do not know what Karius was thinking when he rolled the ball in front of Benzeman when he was less than 2 metres away. Benzeman must have thought it was Christmas because he just had time to stick his foot out probably in the expectation of a block then controlling the ball. Instead his one touch saw it roll into the net. I have noticed of late Karius seems to have adopted this technique of patting the ball away. Watch him on Kanes pen at Anfield which he saves. I think he did it again against City. And then watch him on that Mignoletesque effort.

Many pros and pundits are saying the ball moved. Well yeah it moved in pretty much a straight line and did not swing one way then another. The technique was not just wrong it was totally wrong. You are not coming back in a game where your keeper has made two howlers. And I still do not know how Achterberg keeps his job at Liverpool. At the end of the day he is LFC keeper coach yet his charges keep making basic errors. It needs to change.

I feel for Jurgen. What must he be thinking having lost 6 finals. For goodness sake even statistically the football gods should have made him win half of those not lose them all. But I love him. I love his style of football.

Obviously people have divided opinions on players. I think it is a joke some are panning whipping boys Lovren and Henderson. Bet Moreno is happy he did not get a game as he would have been panned as well.

I love Bobby but he did nothing all night. He never won a header all game. Mane is not one of my favourite players but on the night he was our MoTM. Took his goal well from Lovrens knock down and was desparately unlucky to see that shot come back off the post which would have made it 2-2.

Mos loss was a game changer. You could see Madrids whole belief and ours change when he went off.

I do not get the adulation of Milner. Sure he works tirelessly but he passes the ball back as much as Henderson and loses possesion a lot. And like Gini he produced little. He got to the edge of Madrids box in the second half then just ran into the first defender.

Young Trent had a good game. I thought Navas was a bit fortunate on his shot when he saved it one handed and the ball bounced up and hit his trailing hand and patted it into the ground instead of it bouncing free of him. Robertson had another very good game. That challenge on Ronaldo was something else.

And it is about time Virgil started getting some headed goals. His attempts on the oppos goal makes him seem like Matip mark 2.

I wonder if all these Egyptian no marks who were calling for Mo to join Real are still doing so this morning now it looks like he might miss the world cup. Karma eh.

Karius is 6 years younger than Mignolet. The dogshit Mignolet has been serving for years - the endless insecurity and nervousness he generates throughout the team and the fans - is as good as he is ever going to be.

Karius was 24 when he took over. In goalkeeper years, that's still young. There was still room for improvement, but he was never going to improve sitting on the bench.

Our back 5 has improved almost beyond recognition in the last 6 months. Obviously, the main reason for that is the arrival of Van Dijk and the emergence of Robbo; but Karius has also been playing a key part of it, in a way that I just can't picture Mignolet doing.

I don’t think Liverpool is a place for a young goalkeeper to learn his trade. I didn’t think Karius was better than Mignolet, based on his performances last season.

Fucking gutted for the lads and supporters, I got the whole game recorded so if anyone wants any moments from the game giffing give us a shout...before it goes in the trash bin :(

plzv42K.gif

Ha. Yeah I noticed Ronnie giving Mo the eye in the tunnel. Mo not phased one bit.

My head has been banging all morning but I am gradually coming to terms with what happened last night

We have loads of reasons to be positive, a brilliant manager that is perfect for us, stable ownership, developing ground, and a fantastic evolving team.

Unless you have unlimited cash things can only get better gradually. We need to improve the squad but we are doing it from the base of being champions league finalists.

• Upvote 3

I don’t think Liverpool is a place for a young goalkeeper to learn his trade. I didn’t think Karius was better than Mignolet, based on his performances last season.

I would have had less confidence if Mignolet had of started last night. I keep hearing lloris mentioned as an example of a quality keeper but he has made as many gaffes as Mignolet but because he is Frances number one seems to get a free pass. Cech was a good keeper in his prime at Chelsea.

Ah well another defeat.

We're getting expert at fucking cup finals up.

Not to worry though we'll have some whopper saying we go again and I'm not even that gutted and we did well just to get there. etc etc.

All of which I've heard today.

Yep fed up of superfans telling me to support the team blah blah blah. Especially with that Shankly quote that no one had ever heard of until a few years ago. Believe me, my Dad used to recite word for word everything shankly ever said and I'd never heard of it.

That's 4 cup finals in a row we've lost now and the Chelsea league game in 2014 was virtually a cup final too and we fucked that.

Hopefully we can get some better players and depth in the summer and not rely on the same 12 or 13 being completely fucked by April/May. But right now I'm fucking sick to death of being hyped up then losing in a final. Sickener.

• Upvote 1

Yep fed up of superfans telling me to support the team blah blah blah. Especially with that Shankly quote that no one had ever heard of until a few years ago. Believe me, my Dad used to recite word for word everything shankly ever said and I'd never heard of it.

That's 4 cup finals in a row we've lost now and the Chelsea league game in 2014 was virtually a cup final too and we fucked that.

What quote, mate?

If you can't support us when we lose or draw then don't support us when we win.

Had a book of shankly quotes years ago and it was never in it.

Sounds like that shite Marilyn Monroe quote that does the the rounds on Faceaids.

Maybe she was a red?

• Upvote 1

Hopefully we can get some better players and depth in the summer and not rely on the same 12 or 13 being completely fucked by April/May. But right now I'm fucking sick to death of being hyped up then losing in a final. Sickener.

5 in 6 I think.

Same old story too: ‘love the manager, but he needs to replace half the squad’

Didn’t want to comment last night, wanted to wait until I calmed down a bit.

Firstly I feel sorry for the lads and girls who have had to virtually re mortgage their house to get there. A few years ago, I would have been one of them until having to renew my season ticket and more grown up responsibilities got in the way.

I also feel sorry for the players who will never get to play in a match like that again.

Having to put up with the blueshite from as soon as the final whistle went has been an annoyance. Anyone who doesn’t live in Liverpool needs to understand ( and I’m sure most do) why we hate them so much.

We can and have had the debates about whether the weak squad/ bench is down to FSG/Klopp or whoever. I personally feel the buck stops at the owners as there is no way any Manager will want to go into a game of that magnitude with a bench like that.

Ramos is an absolute shit house. Anyone who calls him a warrior is absolutely wrong, but what he will do, is anything to win or gain an advantage. He knew what he was doing. He either wanted to injure salah or at least leave one on him to slow him down. He’s a nasty cunt, but we are too nice. Our players of the past would have took the cunt out after that.

We are not a one man team but we are set up to play to the skill set and pace of Salah. Once he went, it was always going to be hard. We had them early, they knew they had to do something.

On a human level, I feel bad for Karius, you don’t make a mistake on purpose, but he surely can’t be first choice next term.

Until the club invest in the squad ( not just first 11) then we will carry on like this being nearly men. FSG don’t care whether we won or lost last night, their investment continues to grow in any case.

I would rather be fucking battered in the final than lose like that through shithousery and gifting them goals

• Upvote 1