You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - The European Cup final

Until Oblak or Allison or whoever throws a goal or two in the net and then what. This all sounds sky tv generation shite. Defeat is a bitter pill to swallow. It is meant to be. People want our club to be like a Chelsea or City and just go a spend shitloads of money on a name and then when that name fails go out and spend a shitload more on another name ad infinitum. You might as well say get rid of 6 time loser Jurgen Klopp and get a manager in with a winning record. Yeah ok. Whatever.

Do fuck off, you know fuck all.

Oblak & Alisson have been top notch for a good few years.

We've just reached a European Cup final and our stock is high, not as high as if we'd won it but high enough to attract quality.

But fine if you want to go back to 2013 when we bought Mignolet who was on half Reina's wages and guess what was half (if that) the fucking keeper then be my guest.

Until Oblak or Allison or whoever throws a goal or two in the net and then what. This all sounds sky tv generation shite. Defeat is a bitter pill to swallow. It is meant to be. People want our club to be like a Chelsea or City and just go a spend shitloads of money on a name and then when that name fails go out and spend a shitload more on another name ad infinitum. You might as well say get rid of 6 time loser Jurgen Klopp and get a manager in with a winning record. Yeah ok. Whatever.

A steaming pile of Karius.

You talk some shit, you really do. You are more like the Sky generation than anyone.

We used to be perennial winners, now we lose too many big games. But hey, it’s all ok as we are still top 4. Then you will argue that top 6 is ok.

You accept mediocrity, that’s what you get. Owners need to sort this. We were told we could compete with anyone. Put up or fuck off

• Upvote 3

In response to san don- No excusing the performance of Karius last night. Wanting better than him is more aligned to the ethos of Shankly and Paisley, rather than the soft arsed passive acceptance of mediocrity or worse that you seem to advocate.

Good post mate, but not sure who you mean as he's a bona fide social chameleon.

• Upvote 2

The 2010s hasn’t been great for LFC even though we have played mostly better football than 2000s, we are like that French guy in Apocalypse now Redux, European Cup we lose! League Title we lose! FA Cup we lose! League Cup we lose! Europa league we lose!

At the end of the day, though, losing in the final was worth £73m to us and winning would have been worth £76m or something. If someone was interested in the bottom line over anything else, how interested would they be in shelling out the money required to bridge that gap for a measly £3 mil?

Guest Alex_K

Of all of them, Sevilla was actually the greatest gut-punch, because of all 4 European finals since 2005 that's the only one we went into as undoubtedly the better team, and should have seen out. Last night did not actually hurt that much -- because it was like witnessing a sci fi spectacle. Karius throwing balls into the net; Mo Salah injured by thuggery; Emre Can being the last dice-throw to come on and get us a goal. It was like every possible pock against the club bursting at once (the 'keeper with who we've been living on a prayer; the amateur-like squad yielded by being 14th in the net-spend list since 2014 or whatever it is)

The game could be simulated 1,000 times and you'd never have quite the nightmarish collection of scenarios we recieved last night. How can you legislate for that?

Of all of them, Sevilla was actually the greatest gut-punch, because of all 4 European finals since 2005 that's the only one we went into as undoubtedly the better team, and should have seen out. Last night did not actually hurt that much -- because it was like witnessing a sci fi spectacle. Karius throwing balls into the net; Mo Salah injured by thuggery; Emre Can being the last dice-throw to come on and get us a goal. It was like every possible pock against the club bursting at once (the 'keeper with who we've been living on a prayer; the amateur-like squad yielded by being 14th in the net-spend list since 2014 or whatever it is)

The game could be simulated 1,000 times and you'd never have quite the nightmarish collection of scenarios we recieved last night. How can you legislate for that?

Last night will have massively hurt the supporters who spent their time and money travelling to Kiev.

Pretty much. Madrid were and are the better side, but the way we lost was almost comical in how tragic it was. Just wasn't our night. No use beating ourselves up over it. 

I haven't read this thread or read any of the reports as I'm on holiday but that was painful to watch.

Mentality was telling in that game, I watched it over again during breakfast (must be a masochist) and all I could see was how we were competitive until salah went off and we didn't know how to play without him. Our bench was shocking and I'd have stuck ings on if he were selected. He would have occupied their defenders at least and harried them. Lallana is pretty pointless in our system as he's too slow.

Our heads had dropped luckily we rallied without creating much and mane scored and we looked like we could attempt to build a rhythm until bale came on and Madrid took over.

We didn't react to the change in shape and when he scored his first we gave up we knew we didn't have it in us. Better Mentality and would have got us through we should have fought better.

No one wanted to or could fight with the exception of mane and Robertson, others did ok but not anything better than that. Our midfield went limp. Too leggy to keep up with madrids passing. Goalkeeper was shellshocked and I was livid with him as a fan, but as a human I really couldn't help but feel for him. But to squarely blame him wouldn't be fair. We limped to defeat knowing we should have done much more.

In the end for me that's a much worse way to lose. Knowing we didn't give our all. Didn't have a back up plan and ultimately aren't good enough at this level unless we have our front three firing.

Oh and Ramos is a cunt.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Last night will have massively hurt the supporters who spent their time and money travelling to Kiev.

I was there last night, awake on a £1k flight 24 hour 6 am in/6 am out flight package ++ the rest. Just as I was there in Istanbul, Athens & Basel. Your attempt to be clever is a bit foolish, really.

For all the inter-club oneupmanship which tediously goes on forever, it really is always worth remembering how modern football is awash with a great many utter fucking helmets.

As the sport always will have been of course, just in a different way.

I was there last night, awake on a £1k flight 24 hour 6 am in/6 am out flight package ++ the rest. Just as I was there in Istanbul, Athens & Basel. Your attempt to be clever is a bit foolish, really.

Sound. Wasn’t trying to be clever at all, just assumed you hadn’t gone. Can’t understand you saying it didn’t hurt, but each to their own. Most fans will have been absolutely gutted, in my opinion. Especially the younger ones who haven’t seen us win the European Cup.

Waiting for a delayed flight in Moldova after an epic 7hr drive on what seemed like the surface of the moon.

Great trip with a great bunch only spoilt by all the people getting scammed by taxi, drivers,touts, having to pay cunts at borders and all the general thieving going on.

Totally gutted after the game but I think a lot of that was hearing my young fella had burst into tears at Salah's butching by that dog Ramos.

Only another ,hopefully 12 -13 hrs before bed but anyway Up the Redmen.

• Upvote 4

Wow! You seem a bit of a jinx if you don't mind me saying so.

• Upvote 1

Not for me, Athens was far worse, we were the better team that night.

We fielded the likes of

Kuyt

Crouch

Pennant

Zenden

Kewell

Riise

Finnan

Bellamy was in the squad too from memory.

We fielded 5 players who played in the 2005 final.

Guest Alex_K

Wow! You seem a bit of a jinx if you don't mind me saying so.

Just lucky enough to be able to afford to travel & watch us lift European Cups & UEFA Cups all over the land and accept the finals we lost against the Madrids of this world as possibilities that come with the territory. How about yourself?

Just lucky enough to be able to afford to travel & watch us lift European Cups & UEFA Cups all over the land and accept the finals we lost against the Madrids of this world as possibilities that come with the territory. How about yourself?

Would you like me to write to Blue Peter and ask them to send you a badge?

• Upvote 5

Looks like Spurs will now be promoted to Pot 2 for next seasons CL while we will be in Pot 3. Apparently Spurs get the nod to be in Pot 2 ahead of us as the higest ranking Pot 3 team. UEFA works in mysterious ways. However if both Benfica and Basle fail to qualify for the groups we could be bumped into Pot 2 to.

City in Pot 1 United in Pot 2. Even EL winners Atletico get into Pot 1.