You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - The European Cup final

It was Madrid, I was ok with losing the final if they played better.

I am not ok about losing like that.

This is the truth. The match was a 1-1 other than the mistakes by our illustrious goalkeeper.

Feel sorry for him and fair play for apologizing to the travelling fans but no top level keeper should need consoling after a performance like that at this level.

What a fucking disaster from Karius.

Will be hard for him to ever come back from that.

After Ramos broke Mo - which would be a 4 week ban in Rugby league had he done that - we were second best. Just needed to hang on and not give them anything. Karius gave them two goals.

Fair play to Bale for one worldy, the difference in squad strength was shown with him for them and Lallana coming on having played no football on months for us. He was shite, but you can’t really blame him for it.

Firmino didn’t do anything, Mane was really good, otherwise I thought we were ok. Wijnaldum probably the best of the midfield three.

A fit Mo and no keeper fuck ups and we win that. So fucking annoying losing finals.

I’ve been vehemently against spending £80m on a keeper until now.

Now I want it to happen. You can have Ronaldo and Messi and Salah up front but if your keeper loses his shit twice in a high pressure game then what’s the point.

I want to feel sorry for Karius but it’s too raw, he’s fucked us over.

Allison with Achterberg won't be any better. The problem is, and has always been, the goalkeeping coach.

the goalkeeping coach has showed him how to make those mistakes tonight?

I’d love to see that drill in training. Hey Karius I’m going to get some players to shoot straight at you and don’t want you to catch or punch the ball.

We were going alright until Mo was forced off through injury. We were getting our full backs forward nicely, and Mane was linking up well in attack. After that, we just didn't offer any real attacking threat. Lallana never got into the game and Firmino completely faded out of it. Indeed Firmino's touch was a bit off all game.

What can you say about the goals we conceded? Karius will be having nightmares for ages about this one. One needless throw out to gift a goal to Benzema, and another howler from a Bale shot to kill the game off. He was beaten by an absolute wordly of an overhead kick from Bale in between those two gifts, one that I'm not sure any goalkeeper could have done much about.

Mane got us an equaliser his overall play deserved, getting on the end of a Lovren knock-down from a corner. We didn't manage to turn the screw from that point, and Madrid dominated possession again. Firmino had just had a certain chance taken off his head in the lead-up to the corner we scored from.

Zidane once again pulled a rabbit out of the hat with an impact sub. Yes he's got a deeper bench to work with but has changes always seems to be decisive. Napoleon would have loved the fella because I still don't think he is that good a coach, but he IS lucky. Napoleon liked his generals to be lucky.

Nacho and Ramos spent the second half shithousing their way to cheap free kicks whereas our players in similar situations opted for fair play. Ramos does it in EVERY game and referees always fall for it.

That Mo could now be out of the World Cup having suffered a dislocated shoulder is a real sickener because he's been one of the stars of world football this season.

Just a gutting end to the season, and sometimes this game is just an absolute cunt. To think that our fans out there probably still have to run the gauntlet of Ukrainian police and hooligan gangs still looking for a dust up.

• Upvote 2

Gutted.  We conceded 3 but  our defence did well.  Goalkeeping mistakes and lack of depth in midfield and upfront has cost us dearly.  Hopefully that will all be fixed this summer.

Now for a media blackout for the next couple of days.

Pretty much everything went wrong but ultimately we just weren't good enough on the day. Difficult to be european champions when you are fucked as soon as one your front-three goes off, have to rely on incompetent keepers and zero squad depth. 

Nevertheless, still proud of the lads overall. Was not like Basel where the lads massively shat the bed. Most of them gave everything today. Really feels like today came down to the difference in investment. One team invested as a big team should and then kept these players, the other did not.

Wow. Just wow. What do you say about that?

Madrid were the better team. We just didn't get going and the Salah injury knocked us for six.

I can handle a defeat. And making Madrid work to win the game. But, 12 blokes in red shirts and thousands more who've spent hundreds of pounds and trecked across Europe have been totally let down by an inexplicably bad goalkeeping performance. One so bad that you'd even argue that it borderline justifies contract termination.

Well, that was fucking terrible.

Let's start with the positives.

The back four did their jobs. Lovren, in particular, raised his game. Milner did everything right until he ran out of steam. Salah was a threat, while he was on the pitch. Mané was superb.

And the negatives.

I hate seeing cheats prosper; Ramos (the filthy snide ratcunt) deliberately injured Salah and the cheating paid off. Firmino, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Henderson all went missing. Klopp (I thought) got his tactics wrong: you put Can on when you're defending a lead; you put Solanke on when you're desperately chasing the game.

Then there's Karius...

There's no doubt that he has, generally, improved this year. But I can't recall a Liverpool keeper giving two goals away so cheaply; that was worse than Bogdan at Watford. And "worse than Bogdan" is not a phrase any keeper wants on his CV. Psychologically, I don’t see how he can come back from that. The fans won't trust him, his team-mates won't trust him and he won't trust himself. Tonight he's persuaded me that a new keeper is a priority.

Remember Rafa in 2007 railing at the owners to get their hands in their pockets? Klopp needs to do that now (except, maybe behind closed doors).

Two more positives. The fans in Kiev were magnificent and my hangover tomorrow will be manageable.

Finding it hard to be positive.

Young lads, great.

Shit keeper, obvs since 4 YRS ago.

Klopp has a serious issue with subs.

Great fans.

YNWA.

Fair points bar the one on subs. Take a read of who was on our bench tonight. What are you suggesting? Klavan up top?