You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Invited To New FIFA Club World Cup

Aventus

For my money it (if it does indeed mean it is the case) falling two league games behind is bad news.

Unless of course the PL do us a turn like they did Man City last year and bring games forward ala their game v Everton.

If we are involved in a title fight with Man City again and it is the same relentless ask as it was last season then them having the chance to put daylight between them and us points wise is bad news....potentially puts us under pressure - and the likelihood is they'd be winning those games.

All ifs and buts at the moment of course, but for me anything that might harm a possible title tilt is bad news, a largely meaningless competition in December falls into that category for me.

• Upvote 2

It’s a pain to have the extra travel and fixtures, but I'd make it a higher priority than either of the domestic cups given that we’ve never won it in any iteration and how infrequently it comes around. Barring a disaster of a season to that point, I’d still rotate though and use squad players where the first choice could do with a break - there’s likely to be no room for error in the league again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Read about this a while back, Liverpool never had any real calendar space to play the game in 1977. Which was a shame because it was against Boca Juniors and would have been a big deal. Moenchengladbach took Liverpool's place but the two legs didn't take place until 1978. The first leg took place in April and the return leg was played in August just after the new season started.  The travelling then would have been a lot longer as well as the government being dodgy despite holding the World Cup.

The fixture wasn't even played after we won the European Cup in 1978 and we would have met Boca Juniors again. Nottingham Forest refused to participate in the two years after it. Malmo took their place the first time.  

Celtic and Man Utd both had really bad experiences in Argentina the previous decade with the games having 3 red cards in each of them. Basically back then you had to almost kill someone to get sent off so the fouls must have been horrendous. Also when AC Milan played in it one of their players nearly got killed. 

I think we were were the first to play in the one off game in Japan against Flamengo as Toyota took over it and made it financially worth the club's competing as the fixture was dying on its arse. They even made the players wear names on their shirts. 

There were actually 6 players sent off in the Celtic game, 4 from Celtic and 2 from Racing Club.

There's a three part video on Youtube-

3 hours ago, an tha said:

For my money it (if it does indeed mean it is the case) falling two league games behind is bad news.

Unless of course the PL do us a turn like they did Man City last year and bring games forward ala their game v Everton.

If we are involved in a title fight with Man City again and it is the same relentless ask as it was last season then them having the chance to put daylight between them and us points wise is bad news....potentially puts us under pressure - and the likelihood is they'd be winning those games.

All ifs and buts at the moment of course, but for me anything that might harm a possible title tilt is bad news, a largely meaningless competition in December falls into that category for me.

It’s the price of success.  I wouldn’t worry about the league we’re gonna twat everyone.  Our boys eat pressure for breakfast.  That and probably loads of pasta.

• Upvote 1

I seriously hope this stupid Clubs World Cup won't become "a thing." Anybody with sense should turn it down. Does anybody really look at the packed schedule and think "what we really need is another long tournament"?

This is FIFA looking enviously at all the money in clubs football and thinking of a way to get their grubby hands on some of it. Fuck 'em.

8 minutes ago, neopulian said:

I seriously hope this stupid Clubs World Cup won't become "a thing." Anybody with sense should turn it down. Does anybody really look at the packed schedule and think "what we really need is another long tournament"?

This is FIFA looking enviously at all the money in clubs football and thinking of a way to get their grubby hands on some of it. Fuck 'em.

Yeah, but "World Champions". And look at the sexy curves on the trophy. I would.

As regards not taking the 1981 game seriously, in fairness, we were pretty crap overall at that stage of the season. 

I think we were 8 points off the pace in the League by Christmas, so the Flamengo game was just a part of some very average form around that time.

Of course, we went on to win the League and League Cup double.

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

The final is the 18th December and we enter the tournament in the semi-finals. There’s also a winter break this year in February so I don’t think it’ll be too disruptive. We’ll only be playing a maximum of two games.

A winter break? Plus no doubt useless international football breaks too? More down time than British Leyland.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

A winter break? Plus no doubt useless international football breaks too? More down time than British Leyland.

It's a three year trial but I can't imagine they'll scrap it once it's started. There will still be games, just five games one weekend and five the next. I'm made up there are no FA cup replays now, always fucks the fixtures that.

A winter break will come into force in the Premier League for the first time in the 2019-20 season in a move the Football Association believes will help England to succeed at future World Cups and European Championships.

The governing body has agreed to move the FA Cup fifth round to midweek and scrap replays, while one round of the Premier League will now be straddled over two weekends. The changes will accommodate a 10-day break in February and bring the Premier League into line with other leading divisions around Europe.

The FA has long fought for a mid‑season break in the belief it will rejuvenate players, although the hectic Christmas and New Year fixture period, which is particularly attractive to broadcasters, will remain untouched.

Shit news in my view. It's going to make winning number 19 virtually impossible next season if we have to postpone a couple of league games and play a couple of games in Qatar or wherever.

Even if the league introduce this splt 'winter break' for next season, we'll still be playing risking injury while city get 2 weeks to put their feet up.

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

It's a great source of annoyance to me that we've never won it, so I want it badly. I want to see the Number 6 badge on one sleeve and the World Champions badge on the other.

+1

I imagine (although i have zero proof to back it up) that some of the players would like the idea of being world club champions. 

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

I doubt postponed games are going to be played during the break. 

It's going to cause a bit of fixture congestion.  That's natural if you want to compete at the top. 

Yep. I trust that we'll have the squad to compete, and if we don’t run City as close next time around it won’t be because of one or two games in this tournament but because their infinite resources give them so much of an in-built advantage that matching them year in, year out would be unlikely.

I read an article yesterday about how different the perception of the CWC is between Europe and South America - to us, its closest analogue is the Supercup or Community Shield, but to them it’s a substantial honour. https://www.football365.com/news/the-club-world-cup-footballs-white-elephant

I’d like to win - even though we lost, taking part didn’t ruin us in 2005 and going and winning it didn’t do anything to hinder Man Utd in 2008-9. They won the league and reached a second consecutive Champions League final.

I am still livid over the ref in the 2005 final and would love to have a chance to tick this box.

The extra 2 games are only like the difference in going out in the 4th round or 6th round of the FA Cup ( I know there is travelling to Qatar involved , but it will be first class and I can't imagine it will be too onerous )