Quantcast
Liverpool Invited To New FIFA Club World Cup - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Sign in to follow this  
aventus

Liverpool Invited To New FIFA Club World Cup

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-invited-play-new-fifa-14663712.amp

FIFA are ready to invite Liverpool to take part in a new 24-team Club World Cup to be held every four years and launching in 2021.

The tournament would have 12 teams from Europe, with clubs who have won at least three European Cups the first to be invited.

The tournament could earn participants more than £100million, but UEFA and the Premier League are furious with the proposal and will oppose the new competition.

FIFA will push ahead with plans for the new tournament regardless, with the first to take place in June 2021. China is understood to have already expressed an interest in being the first host nation.

The story was revealed exclusively by today's Times with Martyn Ziegler's report claiming first invitees would include Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Ajax and Inter Milan. Juventus would also be invited on the basis of having won two European Cups and two Intercontinental titles.

The three other European places would be selected by a separate process, so far undetermined, with other leading clubs such as Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Porto, Benfica, and Borussia Dortmund in the mix.

Gianni Infantino, the FIFA president, is anxious to secure an agreement before the World Cup starts in Russia on June 14, and is expected to call an emergency FIFA Council meeting on or around June 1 to get the go-ahead.

Infantino and his deputy secretary general, Zvonimir Boban, have already held talks with Manchester United, Manchester City and Real Madrid, and had a positive response.

The 24 clubs would share a pot of $2 billion (about £1.5 billion), with the winner earning as much as £100 million and a guaranteed minimum £50 million.

The new Club World Cup would replace the low-profile annual event that takes place in December and FIFA would also scrap the Confederations Cup, to ease fears that it would mean more demands on the top players.

The present World team cup takes about a week / 10 days with 6 teams doesn't it ? How long will it be take for 24 teams. 

Invites extended to teams with at least 3 European Cups and in Juventus case 2 intercontinental cups.

Competition will not start for a few years so hopefully we have finally been Champions of England at least twice by then. But it is another FIFA competition to wear players out.

So, this will replace the club world championship which turned into a meaningless competition, and confederations cup, which turned into a meaningless competition. You could say that the pattern recognizing software at FIFA isnt working properly.

So, this will replace the club world championship which generates cash through meaningless competition, and confederations cup, which generates cash through a meaningless competition. You could say that the pattern recognizing equipment at FIFA is working as planned.

Fixed.

To be fair the South American teams take the club world cup really seriously. This seems like a step towards a “super league” whilst trying to appease the domestic leagues. I’d be for us participating but ultimately its not established so we’ll have to see if the idea breeds anything worth doing.

Wasn't fussed about the idea till I read UEFA and the Premier League are furious about it now I'm all for it

• Upvote 7

Wasn't fussed about the idea till I read UEFA and the Premier League are furious about it now I'm all for it

Repped for being motivated by hate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest?

Separate process, ha ha.  Let's have some rules and then bend them massively until we have the richest clubs all in one tournament - comedy.

Something else to fuck our pre season and add to the workload.  I might be for it if the 100 million was going to be spent on players.

Meh, not that arsed but if it means more money in the coffers then sign us up (only if it leads to big transfers mind you).

It's a terrible, terrible idea, obviously motivated by FIFA's unrelenting greed. I predict it will be a logistical mess for years.

We should definitely participate, though. Just send the U23s and backups, keep Salah and Firmino on the beach, and collect our £50m minimum payment. Let whatever South American side wins it celebrate like they've won the CL while we focus on the trophies that matter.

Just make sure we get our cut while doing the absolute minimum possible to earn it.

• Upvote 1

If something like this is going to happen anyway then we need to be early adopters and get on board immediately or risk being left behind.

As shit as it is the gap between the top teams and the rest is only going to widen, luckily our European pedigree has got us a foot in the door so we have the chance to be a part of that elite group.

And obviously I'm happy to see more football from us, we tend to do well in these types of things, and it's only once every 4 years so it wouldn't do any more damage than a world cup year, in fact it's better because its our squad playing together.

I thought it was a shite idea but then found out we were included and we'd get a minimum of 50m so now I think it's great.

I think Everton should be allowed to enter especially if Corinthians from Brazil are in it. And the fact that grey would have won at least 5 European Cups ifithadntbinferHeysel.

First step towards the european league, no turning back then.