You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England Squad

WhiskeyJar

Shelvey should have went he’s the sort of misfit that usually has a brilliant tournament, he’d go as a sub come on in a game and play well then he’d play brilliant the rest of it, he’s also the only real creative midfielder they could have picked.

There’s some players who are going who deserve to be nowhere near a World Cup squad.

Ashley Young

Phil Jones

Fabian Delph

Danny Welbeck

Are four players who should get nowhere near that squad, even Smalling’s been better than Jones this season. You could really add Cahills name to the list of players who shouldn’t go because he’s been diabolical whenever he’s actually got in Chelsea’s team this year. Bertrand should be going instead of Young and arguably instead of Rose, who’s hardly played all season. Delph, well there’s at least 5 midfielders I’d have picked over him and Welbeck’s not only shit, doesn’t seem to play and is an older shitter version of Rashford. They’d have been better taking a completely different option like an Andy Carroll who is only going to come on when your 1-0 down and get crosses into the box. Southgates lost the plot with that squad.

I expect England to win the World Cup. Yes, I said it. 

Obviously not this year though.

England has been a thorn in the side to many a club team over the years not least Liverpool. Barnes ruptured Achilles just before Euro 92, Redknapp, Sturridge, Lallana and probably loads more besides.

Can't stand the frenzy the press whip up and all the sensationalism. I want our lads to do well but I'd honestly be just as happy if Egypt or Brazil succeeded.

I'm not pro or anti England, just meh. The squad is a bit meh.

Oh, and Harry Kane is Timmy from South Park.b4fd1a324aaeb30cea7ee8a5ac621fa3.jpg8ba4eff15b561a88427d7a3f112f15a4.jpg

Delph not good enough for a place in the England squad, but good enough to make 22 appearances for a record setting City side that romped to the title. Hmm.

Delph made all them appearances as a makeshift left back after their two left backs got lengthy injuries. He’s shit and even worse as a CM if that’s what he’s predominantly going as.

I'm not sure how can support a London-centric,Brexit,supporting,fascist bunch of money grabbing twats,and that's just the FA.

You are allowed to support who you want but I just can't work out how any scouser or any Liverpool fan can support England. I like them to go out early

In addition to this i can't understand how LFC fans/scousers can willingly join the same cause as the twats who week in week out denigrate our city, our people and our team with all the usual 'sign on' etc shite and even worse 'always the victim' 'murderers' etc.

Just take a look online at any comments on articles about us/browse twitter or take a look at other clubs sites - there is so much hatred of us

Our fan culture is totally different to these little ingerlund mongs too and i for one have no interest in standing for the same cause.

Fuck them the s*n reading, shite town name on george cross flag "on tour" carrying, royal loving beauts.

• Upvote 2

I get the impression most proper England fans that go matches are fans of the lower league teams like Luton or Millwall, who obviously have no other attachments to the players involved.

Most fans of prem clubs can't be fucked with it, because of the injuries etc.

Look at how much Liverpool struggle when we play more than one game a week, and we're arguably the fittest side in the league. International tournaments are 7 high intensity games in less than a month. Teamwork, ability to move the ball around and create chances at even a slow tempo aren't a skill English players grow up learning at the level others do.

You're right, the international standard isn't as high as cluub football but the players are the same and their natural tactical skills are shown up more when they're not drilled every single day into perfect tactical patterns by elite coaches.

7 high intensity games? Are you pissed or have you just never seen a World Cup. They’re playing fucking Panama in Tunisia in two of the first three. When was the last time England played 7 games in a World Cup? Most of the games are played at a snails pace.

I don’t know what your point is anyway. Liverpool struggle with 2 games a week because the drop off in quality of ten first team to the reserves is vast not because the players aren’t fit. They then have to play against teams who’s drop off isn’t as bad because they’ve got infinite money or they’re only playing a game a week because they aren’t in Europe.

That sentence about English players not growing up learning about creating chances at a slow tempo is literally complete fucking nonsense. You have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Due to the standard of football being so fucking high in this country these days the only kids who make it are the ones who have lived their lives in academies competing against and training with other kids at that standard. At the top clubs these kids come from all over the world

These academies are full of trained professionals British and foreign. Most of these clubs have forward thinking British and Foreign people at the top taking the clubs in that direction. You seem to have this anti-romantic idea of British clubs all serving their only local kids full English breakfast and then spending 2 hours on heading a ball before sending them home on the bus.

Henderson, Dier and even Vardy contrary to what people will tell you played in academies growing up and were taught every facet of the game which is why they are atvthe near peak of the professions. You’re literally a parody of those whoppers 10 years ago telling everyone what a world beater Cisse was going to be and how Lucas was going to rule the prem and take over Gerrard because they grew playing football in countries that are far more intelligent than England. What a load of shite.

7 high intensity games? Are you pissed or have you just never seen a World Cup. They’re playing fucking Panama in Tunisia in two of the first three. When was the last time England played 7 games in a World Cup? Most of the games are played at a snails pace.

I don’t know what your point is anyway. Liverpool struggle with 2 games a week because the drop off in quality of ten first team to the reserves is vast not because the players aren’t fit. They then have to play against teams who’s drop off isn’t as bad because they’ve got infinite money or they’re only playing a game a week because they aren’t in Europe.

That sentence about English players not growing up learning about creating chances at a slow tempo is literally complete fucking nonsense. You have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Due to the standard of football being so fucking high in this country these days the only kids who make it are the ones who have lived their lives in academies competing against and training with other kids at that standard. At the top clubs these kids come from all over the world

These academies are full of trained professionals British and foreign. Most of these clubs have forward thinking British and Foreign people at the top taking the clubs in that direction. You seem to have this anti-romantic idea of British clubs all serving their only local kids full English breakfast and then spending 2 hours on heading a ball before sending them home on the bus.

Henderson, Dier and even Vardy contrary to what people will tell you played in academies growing up and were taught every facet of the game which is why they are atvthe near peak of the professions. You’re literally a parody of those whoppers 10 years ago telling everyone what a world beater Cisse was going to be and how Lucas was going to rule the prem and take over Gerrard because they grew playing football in countries that are far more intelligent than England. What a load of shite.

Just because a player isn't great in England doesn't mean they're shit. Living away from a home language and culture is difficult. If anyone's full of shit it's you. England export fuck all players as they'll pick up massive wages for being average in England.

You live in a weird bubble where Spain don't dominate European competitions and everything the great England team does is undermined by the occasional bad coaching decision. So much hubris. You'll be continually disappointed with those unrealistic expectations.

The top English players are consistently less technical than their Southern European and South American counterparts at pretty much every age group, which given the FA's riches and supposed competence, shouldn't be happening. So there is clearly something going wrong somewhere. 

I think the visceral reaction The Guest is showing is refreshing compared to most England "fans". As has been said the tribalism at the club level is something that for whatever reason England as a country cannot get over. There are fierce rivalries all over the world but come international time, whether in South America, Russia, Greece etc those seem to take a back seat. England struggles there  - big time.

I envision The Guests chest puffed out so far when he is making these posts that he has to squint to see the screen. The fact that English academies are basically full of players who will be out of the game before their 21st birthday is secondary. The best of that lot are filling the lower leagues. They certainly have never created bidding wars amongst the upper echelon of club teams around the world. Maybe the injection of cash the last few years will change that but my feeling is it will make it worse for an English player as now some of the really talented players from other countries will see England as easy money. TBH I do not know what he is talking about suggesting England have had that sort of influx, either at the youth level or in the coaching ranks, for awhile - its not true.

One thing I've never understood about England friendlies is the amount of players they use. They play about 18 different players every game then draft more in for the next game, give them 20 minutes then bin them. One game against Australia at Upton Park they played one team in the first half then another in the second.

Then when they get to a tournament the manager has no fucking idea what the best system is and everyone looks like they've never played together before like some schoolboy trials.

Before the 2014 world cup they went to Miami and played Ecuador to "acclimatise" for Brazil. Especially the first game against Italy in Manaus which was near the Amazon jungle. They only went to Miami because the FA wanted to make money from the fixture.

They would have been better playing a Brazilian club side behind closed doors or Venezuela in Manaus before the Italy game to get them used to playing there but the FA wanted more cash. The game got rained off and they still turned up in Brazil having no clue about their best team.

International football by and large is worse than club football and has been for decades. Apart from probably Spain and Germany in recent years the current Liverpool team who finished 4th in the premier league with Henderson and Milner in midfield would turn over any other international team.

I’m honestly baffled with the constant drivel people talk about international football as if it’s some sort of elite standard. I reckon most midtable teams would go to the later stages of the World Cup.

I’m not optimistic either and I don’t know him where you’ve seen that. England will go out earlier than they should because they’ve hired another buffoon to manage them. People can talk all day about game management and dictating play, it’s all nonsense. Most of these players are playing for top clubs that are playing in the most competitive league in the world. They may not be the best player at their club but that’s because they play for big clubs who hire the best players from other countries to come and play for them. It doesn’t suddenly make them bad players.

It’s playing Kyle fucking Walker at centre half and playing Sterling behind the striker that’s going to make England come unstuck when they play a decent team.

Honestly this other nonsense about foreign shite teams who wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a premier league game teaching our players a thing or two. The best fucking managers from these tinpot leagues get jobs here and most of them end up sacked for doing a shit job. Our players have been playing around and against the best players in the world for decades now and they handle it just fine. The game has moved to a point where you no longer have Gerrards and Lampards. The best teams around have Henderson’s and Diers in their team. If they’re called Fernandinho or Matic though everyone disappears up their arse. Either way that’s what midfield has become but to many people are too slow to catch up.

When was the last time an English manager won the league? I genuinely can’t remember.

In addition to this i can't understand how LFC fans/scousers can willingly join the same cause as the twats who week in week out denigrate our city, our people and our team with all the usual 'sign on' etc shite and even worse 'always the victim' 'murderers' etc.

Just take a look online at any comments on articles about us/browse twitter or take a look at other clubs sites - there is so much hatred of us

Our fan culture is totally different to these little ingerlund mongs too and i for one have no interest in standing for the same cause.

Fuck them the s*n reading, shite town name on george cross flag "on tour" carrying, royal loving beauts.

Deserving of a rep imo. Well said.

The top English players are consistently less technical than their Southern European and South American counterparts at pretty much every age group, which given the FA's riches and supposed competence, shouldn't be happening. So there is clearly something going wrong somewhere.

Does this include the under 17s and the under 20s? It’s mad how many experts there are on junior football around the world who aren’t just reeling off 20 year old cliches about British footballers and coaches.