You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

Looks to have been about as good a World Cup as we could have hoped for.

Lovren and Henderson aside none of our players have really stacked up loads of games/minutes.

No injuries.

A lot of our rivals best players are stuck out there for the maximum possible time.

Ingerlund squad full of Spurs, Mancs and Belgium same with key Chelsea players too....France has a couple of Chelsea as well.

Gonna be some real disruption to those teams at start of season assuming they will be looking at 3 weeks holiday then you are talking back at clubs just 1 week before season starts.

Could work out very nicely for us that.

Great world cup to watch and this has been the best thing. Lots of our rivals having their players run into the ground. A load of injuries now in this final set of games would be boss.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great world cup to watch and this has been the best thing. Lots of our rivals having their players run into the ground. A load of injuries now in this final set of games would be boss.

England and Belgium will go at each other like Tyson and Holyfield and maybe a few ears will be lost.

I thought he was pretty decent. Certainly more dangerous than Sterling when he’s near the opposition’s goal.

I thought Alli stank the place out for the whole tournament, one goal aside.

Alli was appalling in every game.

We missed a link player, and that’s where the injuries to Lallana and Chamberlain come in. He might have been better off to have gambled on Foden or Wilshire. Massive gambles though.

In hindsight we were lucky with injuries at the tournament, basically the same 11, but you can’t pick a squad based on that notion.

Euro 2020 will be interesting as we see Sessegnon, Trent, Sancho, Grey, Hudson Odoi, all developing.

Absolutely correct, what I should do obviously is back a team from a country that I've never visited and have no connection with whatsoever to express just utterly fucking cool I am.

You could argue that England are the worst of the four teams left in it and they're definitely worse than two of them.  Doesn't mean that just because I'd rather they win than lose, I immediately turn into some twat with a union jack hat and an Aldershot FC St George flag.

Who said it was 'cool' not to support England? It's nothing to do with being radical and more to do with what and who they represent. I have always been really pissed off that those twats at the FA didn't get anywhere near the amount of culpability as they should have over events in 1989 either. I have little emotional investment in international football and have always considered myself British with an Irish heritage. I think there are a fair amount of Merseysiders who probably feel similar but may have other reasons too. It's not about 'coolness' to me,it's about other and more important reasons, for me at least.

To give this context, comrade... I used the term "cool" because it was the terminology Robo was using in the post (above) that I was engaging with and directly responding to.  I said nothing about "being radical" either.  

I just said I found it curious.

Having said that, on reflection - yes you're right in the case of Liverpudlians specifically and the Irish heritage context, and such things.

A similar phenomenon perhaps to Barcelonans and Spain.

Trippier starts?

Fuck off.  Dickhead was acting like his leg was falling off in the last game...

Belgium have gone strong, but England have a proper midfield for a change.  Think this'll come down to how knackered Kane is and how useless Sterling is.

edit: and how disinterested Hazard is of course.

Looking forward to collecting the first token for my Harry Maguire Of Hearts commemorative plate in the Mail tomorrow.

Cheapskate. Buy the Franklin Mint commemorative pocket watch. Just five instalments of £39.95.

Sterling is utter gash. He is not good enough to play as the second striker at this level. Delph looks like a lost kid and if people think hendo passes the ball back too much take a look at Dyer. Rose is totally out of his depth. I do not see what people rave about Loftus Cheek either. Goodness me Bobby Brown Shoes on course to be the 3rd best manager at this World Cup. I think my head has just exploded.

Sterling passes when he should shoot, shoots when he should pass and when he can't decide which one he shouldn't do, he just runs.  I still can't believe how much we turned City over for; if he was Czech or something he'd be a £10-15m player.