You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

Maybe I missed something, but why were they booing Vida when he touched it in the first half?

It was the Russian ‘neutrals’ - he played for Dinamo Kiev and made some ‘Viva Ukraine’ type comment in a video put up on social media from the dressing room after the Russian game.

More offensive to me was the fact that he appeared to be drinking a bottle of Budweiser in the clip.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn here.

I would neg the "someone" because it makes you sound like an overwrought middle-aged woman on Facebook; but I should rep the calling out of Turdy's overused arse-flapping gif. No need, CT.

Apologies. I thought it was another unwritten rule here that naming a person in a post was a sign of being argumentative and I was just engaging in some banter. Or is that against a rule as well.

Apologies. I thought it was another unwritten rule here that naming a person in a post was a sign of being argumentative and I was just engaging in some banter. Or is that against a rule as well.

Forum politics is tricky. As long as we remember to call Stronts a cunt and Hades a mass murderer, we'll be fine.
  • Upvote 1

Think it was more about the difference in quality (team and players) myself. England had no plan apart from knock it back to Pickford to kick long, and hope for set pieces. In fact I'm not sure I've seen a game plan from England in the whole tournament. Croatia had Modric who has been fantastic- England players couldn't get it off him- as well as Rakitic, Perisic others all better than England players. Even Mandzukic played really well despite being about 50 years old- made Kane look like a callow youth.

I like Southgate, and a semifinal is not to be sniffed at, even with having the easiest path imaginable, but without any coherent pattern of play I doubt if they will do as well next time.

I thought Perišić was terrible until he scored and felt Croatia were on the ropes in the first half. Didn't think they had much of a game plan themselves. They are just incredibly tough and resilient.

Second half they had us sussed out, and we either didn't have a plan B, or our plan B was so blatantly unoriginal. By making the same subs we always do, it was easy for Croatia to predict us.

Southgate seems to be sufficiently married to his formation that he'll almost always use his subs to just put fresh legs on.  That game was crying out for some more pace up top to try to force Croatia to play on the back foot a little more but no, we'll stick with Harry Kane and watch Maguire storming past him with the ball.  He was the only player who looked to have a sense of urgency in extra time.

Pickford can walk out of this tournament with his head held high, fair play to the lad.  Well unless he puts through his net three times in the 3rd place playoff but surely nobody cares about that anyway.

Even more so than I thought before the game. Can only applaud them, proper warriors.

Tyldesley said something at the start of the second half about it being the time for "war horses". He was referring to England, the least experienced squad in the whole tournament.

Imagine being with a bird for a few years, love her to bits, go on loads of holidays all around Europe and everything, experience highs you haven't felt in years, then you find out she cheated on you and you're devastated. Heart broken.

Then a couple of months later you meet and start seeing another bird, she doesn't come close to your ex but there's one or two parts of the new girl that remind you a bit of her so you keep on seeing her anyway. You try your best to muster up the enthusiasm to love her but you are still a bit sore after the last one, and part of you reckons you'll just end up heartbroken again so you remain quite aloof throughout.

Then the new bird cheats on you too, you're a bit disappointed but ultimately not that arsed, she wasn't as fit as the ex, and you kind of expected it was gonna happen anyway so you made the right decision to not get emotionally attached again.

That's how I feel about England after our Champions League run.

It's also a scarily accurate account of my previous relationships.

England have done far better than I expected them to even though the draw has obviously favoured them. In a way tonight may be a blessing in disguise as I suspect France might have made us look silly in the final whereas a losing semi-final gives you something to work on.

Southgate has made a good start but he needs a bit more grunt going forward , Sterling & Lingaard work really hard but lack a cutting edge to my mind. He also needs to find some tactical flexibility as he didn't really react at all in the parts of games when we were struggling. I was astonished that he never made any attempt to shore up the wings tonight when Croatia were getting more and more success there & a goal started to look imminent. Alli & Hendo were fucked by the second half as they were patrolling half the width of the pitch each.

7.5 / 10

• Upvote 2