You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belgium were on the ropes, Brasil just missed two clear cut chances one from Augosto and the other from Phil. They also probably deserved a penalty. I don’t see them losing if they equalize but they didn’t, thems the breaks. Having said all that, Neymar’s antics caused the ref not to give them shit (rightly or wrongly) and their manager decided in-tournament form didn’t matter at all.

Brazil were as over-reliant on Neymar as they had been 4 years ago. The coach Tite had actually made them a more balanced team during the qualifiers but went full Scolari in the tournament, picking several favourites who were out of form or returning from injury ahead of players who were sharp and in good form. The difference between this Neymar and the one from 4 years ago is that the current version has got individual accolades and acclaim as his motivation, to the detriment of being genuinely beneficial to the cohesiveness of his teammates.

Belgium are the only side to win all their games so far! Bobby Brown Shoes has well and truly purged himself of the stink of blueshite!

Some fucking save that was, after Lloris' earlier. And, we are apparently going to stick with that plonker of Karius.

If we’re only looking at Alisson I’d rather stick with Karius then waste that money on a sideward move.

No matter how good Neymar is he’s been too selfish and shite at this World Cup and they’d have been better off with a Costa-Firmino-Jesus front three with Coutinho behind feeding them.

Neymar tries to do everything himself to prove he’s up on a level with Messi and Ronaldo he’d be better off playing like Hazard did today where he was unselfish and became unplayable as the game went on.

Tite deserves so much stick for his team selection at this tournament, they have a brilliant squad and he fucked it right up.

Fernandinho-Casemiro

Firmino-Coutinho-Costa

Jesus

Or if you really wanted to play Neymar swap him for Jesus and put Bobby up front.

Feel weird about this as a Brasilian.

I mean, I love my country and I wanted them to do well, but at the same time this was the hardest Brasil team to like that I can remember. The best two players are Coutinho (who demanded to leave us in the middle of last season) and Neymar (who is almost at C Ronaldo-levels of unlikeability and arrogance).

So overall I'm mildly upset. Wish they'd won but a big part of me isn't sad they didn't. Have to say they were pretty unlucky, though. People going on about a "Martinez masterclass" when Belgium had about 4 shots, got a goal off an extremely lucky OG and then watched some of the best players in the world miss sitters.

Jermaine Genius likening Sweden to Burnley.

Fuck me. Worracunt.

If you're the Sweden manager there's your team talk.....

Although I'm sure most of the players would look blankly and think "who's that fuking idiot in the daft shorts boss" .?

Never been so happy to see Brazil knocked out.

Neymar is shite also. Great to see the majority of people recognising him for the snide he is.

He’s got tons of world class ability but chooses to snide his way though a game, mostly without any results.

I was wrong about Martinez. Not that he's sub-standard, but the fact that most national team managers are even worse.

There's generally a reason they're in international management rather than the far more lucrative club management.

Never been so happy to see Brazil knocked out.

Neymar is shite also. Great to see the majority of people recognising him for the snide he is.

He’s got tons of world class ability but chooses to snide his way though a game, mostly without any results.

I think Jesus deserved a pen and was essentially punished for Neymar being on his team.

Having said that, it is nice to see refs stand up to diving cunts, although I wish it would be done with more consistency. Seeing the replay of Neymar's own pen shout with the late header, I've seen those given plenty but you see him decide to pull away and go down rather than head the ball which he very well still could've. He had a chance to be a hero and stuff it up that refs arse but instead carried on with the antics and got the same result he'd gotten all game, and for much of the tournament.

As far as Martinez goes, I'm not buying that this was some tactical masterclass. Belgium did them on the counter 2 or 3 times but only had one goal to show for it. Brasil were on top for most of the game, they didn't get the luck Belgium did in terms of an own goal that should've been dealt with comfortably had two defenders not essentially been occupying the same space. Had it not been for Courtois heroic's and some really poor misses by players that usually don't they'd have gotten a hiding in that second half, especially after Bobby and Costa came on.

Tite needs to be fired and the next manager they appoint needs to build a balanced team, whether Neymar like its or not.

There's generally a reason they're in international management rather than the far more lucrative club management.

That's very true, they establish themselves at international level with very modest club records and then time and again we see them return to club football and fail.

Southgate is a very, very average club manager (I'm being generous) but if we believe the media and especially if they win this afternoon he'll have reached the level of a guru.

The only exception to this is the owl. He's been shit consistently at all levels.