You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - tiring. I hope they make it through then get disqualified retrospectively for Ferdinands punditryish failings.

What teams are England possibly lining up against if they finish first or second in their group?

First - last 16- Senegal/columbia/japan

Qf -Brazil/mexico

Sf - Uruguay/Portugal/France/Argentina

Second - last 16 - Senegal/columbia/japan

Qf - Switzerland/sweden

Sf - Spain/russia/Croatia/denmark

Be funny if there's a load of own goals in our game tomorrow.

Don't get all this hatred towards Germany. Not on here obviously but people in their mid 30s going on about the war is pathetic.

Every time I've been to Germany the people have been great and even the ones I've met on holiday have been fine despite the reputation of them being sunbed robbers.

• Upvote 1

Don't get all this hatred towards Germany. Not on here obviously but people in their mid 30s going on about the war is pathetic.

Every time I've been to Germany the people have been great and even the ones I've met on holiday have been fine despite the reputation of them being sunbed robbers.

I agree. I just want to see a team from outside the established order winning the World Cup. Bit like I do not want Manchester United or Chelsea to win a damn thing really.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, fair fucks to the people that might have a reason to hate them, because of actually being in the war etc.

But people who were born 50 years after the war finished going on about it is just wrong.

Plus Klopp is German, so that's enough for me to permanently put them in the 'sound' category of nationalities in my head.

• Upvote 1

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve just been on Twitter and the number of English fans gloating away is embarrassing - no worse, Evertonesque. They’ve won the World Cup three times this side of the 60s and England fans are laughing, absolutely bizarre - delighting in the failure of “rivals” as much or more than the success of their own.

Also on there - Spurs fans who think Son scoring against Germany is in some way them getting one over us. Weirdos.

I agree. I just want to see a team from outside the established order winning the World Cup. Bit like I do not want Manchester United or Chelsea to win a damn thing really.

The status quo is shaken; Germany out and Spain likely next. Brazil may not get past Mexico as they usually struggle against South American sides. Uraguay look solid thus far and only time will tell if the likes of Sweden and Croatia can go all the way. It would be nice though to see fresh faces hoisting the trophy on July 15th. 

The status quo is shaken; Germany out and Spain likely next. Brazil may not get past Mexico as they usually struggle against South American sides. Uraguay look solid thus far and only time will tell if the likes of Sweden and Croatia can go all the way. It would be nice though to see fresh faces hoisting the trophy on July 15th.

20593946.gif

• Upvote 1

Is not supporting England in Liverpool really common? I have always heard about it but wondered if it is just a few or is it widespread?

Manchester make a point of not supporting England too ?

I think the hatred is based on England fans than the actual team.

Is not supporting England in Liverpool really common? I have always heard about it but wondered if it is just a few or is it widespread?

Manchester make a point of not supporting England too ?

I'd say 75% of this forum is anti-England, I'm pro-England but my interest has lessened over the years after seeing and hearing bellend fans first hand and spending too much time on here.

It's kind of a shame that more LFC fans can't bring up the standard of support as England fans but I can certainly see why they want to distance themselves.

• Upvote 2

Interesting, I also hate the bellend fans and really didn't like watching England after about 2002 due to the awful mangers and the fact I hated a lot of the players - Rooney, Lampard, Terry, Rio etc etc. However, I find it hard to dislike this new breed, as they are like kids.

I just find it interesting to see how anti some are, wanting England to fail and supporting other national teams etc.  I know Liverpool has an exceptionally strong identity and that is not something I have ever had growing up.

I saw a recent in-depth survey on BBC News asking which parts of the country were ' Proud to be English ' and was surprised to see Liverpool as a city slightly above the average percentage for this , which suggests that either this forum is totally out of sync with the city , or it is specific historic instances of players / support affecting our view of the football team, rather than the country itself as a whole.

I saw a recent in-depth survey on BBC News asking which parts of the country were ' Proud to be English ' and was surprised to see Liverpool as a city slightly above the average percentage for this , which suggests that either this forum is totally out of sync with the city , or it is specific historic instances of players / support affecting our view of the football team, rather than the country itself as a whole.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44142843

• Upvote 1

It's sad that I felt I was getting into the England thing for the first time in ages, probably because it's post Rooney and Terry, but the fans/media always spoil it for me.

Good Morning Britain had some pub on today where it was decked out in England flags, and they tore down a German flag on camera and used it as a beer cloth. Everyone in the studio thought it was hilarious.

Pure small man syndrome. Being an England fan gives you a window of what it's like to be an Evertonian, and it's not a headspace I like to stay in for too long.

• Upvote 2