You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One shot on goal in 120 minutes.  Led the game for an hour and spent maybe ten minutes of them looking interested in scoring another.  That's it really.  Croatia are a good side but they're not some unbeatable force of nature - England looked well on top for the first half hour but just didn't do enough with it - they had chances to kill that game off.  As soon as they let Croatia start to play the midfield was under pressure and that's where they lost it.

Oh and Saint Harry Kane was a complete waste of space.  Seeing him playing in midfield when England were chasing a goal being a particular highlight, but he might as well not have been on the pitch for over half of that game.

For all I've said about him, I would have left Sterling on tonight and yanked Kane for Rashford.  Sterling was scaring the shit out of the defence, get Rashford's pace in there too and it might have shook things up.  As it was you could feel that game going away from England with every sub, other than Rose who I though made as good a job of things as he could.

Summary of that game for me is that England spent half of the last five minutes of a World Cup semi final passing the ball sideways in midfield.  That's no time to be worrying about perfect goals unless you have Messi or Ronaldo in the team.  Otherwise, get it in the fucking box.

Fair fucks to Croatia, they didn't panic, played their way into the game and were dominating by the end.  They have a great mix of styles, equally comfortable with one touch passing through the midfield or hitting runners with accurate long balls and they're a very intelligent side.

• Upvote 3

It's probably worth a doff of the cap to a nation of 4 million people which has only been a nation for about 5 weeks and which is now in the World Cup Final.

I really hope that Indy article accusing the players of singing Nazi songs is overblown, misguided and incorrect.

My favourite bit was when Gary Neville said at half time that Croatia were shit, England were clearly a better team and all they had to do was see it out comfortably. As soon as Croatia started playing football it only looked like one team was going to win.

Hats off to all you patriots calling others out for not being fond of the England team as well. How’s that moral high ground now?

Also, ITV have criminally underused Slaven Bilic tonight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Normal service resumed for England.

Piss fucking poor.

1 shot on target in 120 minutes.

Crikey. That's a shocking statistic.

It's better than that

5 shots on target in total in 330 mins vs Colombia,Sweden and Croatia

Sterling is fucking wank.

Alli is fucking wank.

There seems to be a pattern here.

Sterling running around and making a nuisance of himself is only useful if there's someone there to take advantage of the disruption to the defence. We know this. We saw him do it alongside Suarez and Sturridge. The following season we saw him do it alongside Balotelli and Borini. The outcomes differed.

Didn't watch the second half because I felt I was jinxing Croatia. Got some semblance of how it was going through the open window, as the shouty cunt a few doors down grew steadily more quiet until he lapsed into complete silence.

Another glorious failure by Spurs. I take it Kane wasn't quite the inspiring captain he's been portrayed as. Serves all those fucking cunts right, who revelled in our CL misery. Have a taste of it.

• Upvote 1