You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Historically, a large majority of liverpudlians both red and blue didn't give a fuck about England. A lot of it came from the fact we are a city of immigrants and predominantly Irish in descent. For my generation, it was the fact that our clubs took the piss at club level and it was pride in our city when we were treated like the leppers of England. The national team represented the type of dickheads who I despise. For younger Liverpudlians it is probably a good thing that they have more interest in the national team as it shows they don't have a chip on their shoulder like an old fart like me

• Upvote 3

Do you reckon?

It seemed to me that from th world cups I remember (82 onwards) people generally supported England - not nearly to the degree of Liverpool of course - until the 98 World Cup which was a bit of a tipping point.

After that it became a lot easier to hate the team, the media and all the bollocks.

It may just have been I was more immune to that shite as a kid, so it didn’t put me off as much. But that’s definitely the general vibe I got amongst Liverpool fans. Again though, most would have been my age with similar influences.

It's mental, BBC running a story about what the "route" looks like.  It looks like Colombia, dickheads...

I'm all for indulging in a bit of that sweet delusion, spent a large part of last season with that state of mind (based, at least, on the knowledge we had one of the best attacks in the CL), but one step at a time for fuck's sake.

Well I am really confused on offside now. I thought a defender had to intentionally play the ball to play the attacker on side. But now it seems it is the ball just has to touch a defender that he does not really know about and the attacker is on side. Weird. Good to see Germany go out and big laughs at Neuer trying to play up front.

I’m a bit late to the party calling you a retard on this but better late than never I suppose. As I’ve said before it honestly baffles me how fucking thick people can be sometimes. Various idiots seem to be rewriting the offside rule in their heads where if a player is in an offside position and an opponent miscontrols the ball into their path they are offside even if no ball has been played towards them by a team mate. It would be like saying in the Gerrard-Demba Ba situation. Had Ba been stood offside when Sakho passed it to Gerrard and he miscontrolled it to an offside Ba then the linesman should flag. It’s fucking nonsense.

I don’t know why this needs spelling out. The Lovren incident was an absolute travesty because a pass was played to Kane who was offside and Lovren tried to cut it out and fucked up. The intention was clearly for the ball to go to Kane who then received as a defender couldn’t cut it out. For the South Korea goal a cross comes in the hits 2 Germán defenders one of which then decides he needs to get a toe on it to stop a Korea player getting to it. He internationally kicks it in a direction it’s not travelling in towards a player it was not going towards. This then goes through a German players legs to the Korean player who scores. How the fucking hell in a million years is that offside? Even the fucking VAR replay shows the Germán player kicking it about 10 times. How fucking hard is this to see. You’ve been watching football for fucking years.

I’m a bit late to the party calling you a retard on this but better late than never I suppose. As I’ve said before it honestly baffles me how fucking thick people can be sometimes. Various idiots seem to be rewriting the offside rule in their heads where if a player is in an offside position and an opponent miscontrols the ball into their path they are offside even if no ball has been played towards them by a team mate. It would be like saying in the Gerrard-Demba Ba situation. Had Ba been stood offside when Sakho passed it to Gerrard and he miscontrolled it to an offside Ba then the linesman should flag. It’s fucking nonsense.

I don’t know why this needs spelling out. The Lovren incident was an absolute travesty because a pass was played to Kane who was offside and Lovren tried to cut it out and fucked up. The intention was clearly for the ball to go to Kane who then received as a defender couldn’t cut it out. For the South Korea goal a cross comes in the hits 2 Germán defenders one of which then decides he needs to get a toe on it to stop a Korea player getting to it. He internationally kicks it in a direction it’s not travelling in towards a player it was not going towards. This then goes through a German players legs to the Korean player who scores. How the fucking hell in a million years is that offside? Even the fucking VAR replay shows the Germán player kicking it about 10 times. How fucking hard is this to see. You’ve been watching football for fucking years.

Does the local farmer use your gob for muck spreading on his fields because a load of shit sure comes out of your mouth. As for accusing others of being argumentative and spreading shit all over the forum you sure are the biggest culprit and hypocrite on here for that.

OK. I have seen the incident a number of times and it is clear I missed Kroos actually playing the ball. What I original saw and commented on was the ball hitting a German defenders calf on its way through to the Korean player.

I clearly missed the deliberate play by Kroos and that was not the unintentional play I was talking about.

Now you should just stop trying to be the forum policeman and get back on your farm and spreading shit on the fields.

Do you reckon?

It seemed to me that from th world cups I remember (82 onwards) people generally supported England - not nearly to the degree of Liverpool of course - until the 98 World Cup which was a bit of a tipping point.

After that it became a lot easier to hate the team, the media and all the bollocks.

It may just have been I was more immune to that shite as a kid, so it didn’t put me off as much. But that’s definitely the general vibe I got amongst Liverpool fans. Again though, most would have been my age with similar influences.

To be fair, there was always a bit of support for England, even if a lot of it was lukewarm. I do remember a pub going crazy when Ireland beat England at a tournament (wc86 or euro88) and thinking you could be in ireland and being in another pub with everyone cheering on scotland at euro 96. Having said that, i always had civic pride with our own lads doing well. You couldn't but be proud seeing taa last night.

Personally, i think kane is a top class striker and that could get them far. I rate Colombia so it could be a belter of a game. Some class sides like Croatia and Spain on that side of the draw so they are getting ahead of themselves, let alone competent teams like sweden and switzerland. To be fair, southgate seems like a good lad.

Does the local farmer use your gob for muck spreading on his fields because a load of shit sure comes out of your mouth. As for accusing others of being argumentative and spreading shit all over the forum you sure are the biggest culprit and hypocrite on here for that.

OK. I have seen the incident a number of times and it is clear I missed Kroos actually playing the ball. What I original saw and commented on was the ball hitting a German defenders calf on its way through to the Korean player.

I clearly missed the deliberate play by Kroos and that was not the unintentional play I was talking about.

Now you should just stop trying to be the forum policeman and get back on your farm and spreading shit on the fields.

asstalk.gif

“As for accusing others of being argumentative.”

What the fucking hell are you on about now you absolute cretin? Where have I accused anyone of being argumentative or spreading shit around the forums which would mean I’m a hypocrite?

Just like the South Korea goal it appears you see what you want to see. You do that because you’re absolutely fucking thick. What game were you actually watching to miss the 25 slow mo replays of The German player kicking a ball through a players legs and think that a Korean player had kicked it and it touched one of the legs it went through.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1