You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (May 5-11 2018)

tlw content

diarybanner.jpg

Saturday May 5… 

After United’s loss at Brighton last night Mourinho took aim at Rashford. He was crap despite being given a rare chance through the middle. “You ask why Lukaku always plays. That’s why.” Hahaha he’s the absolute pits isn’t he? It’s dead funny though, I love it when he canes his players in public, partly because they’re United players so they deserve to be hammered, and partly because it seriously winds up their fans, especially when it’s local hero Rashford on the receiving end. Let the manc scrote have it Jose lad. And on that note, it's been a while since you've laid into Scholesy. Might want to address that before the season is out. 

Oh look, Barcelona are at it again. Griezemann and Atletico are getting the full ‘Coutinho treatment’ with the weekly leaks to the Spanish press about their intention of signing him.

Today Suarez said this: "Barca always bring in quality players like Antoine, as we've seen with Coutinho and Dembele, players with huge amounts of quality. He has been playing at the top level for many years, fighting for everything. He leads Atletico's attack, which is fundamental in showing his quality. He's welcome at Barcelona. He's not coming to take anyone's place, but with the ambition to do big things with the best club in the world. I'm proud that Barca keep signing players of such quality." 

And as sure as night follows day, when Atletico get pissed off about it we then get the backtracking from a senior Barca official, this time the coach (who nobody outside of Barca could even pick out of a line up, the absolute nobody). "Griezmann plays for another club," he said. "We shall respect that other club and not make any comment. Someone told me about Suarez's comments, but I have nothing to add. I think Luis was speaking in a figurative sense. We all have to be careful with what we say to the press when other teams are involved. You're bugged with questions, then they start messing around with your words and making it seem like you said things that you never really wanted to say." 

What a shower of arrogant, disrespectful shits they are. Bugged with questions? How hard is it to say “sorry, we don’t talk about players from other clubs” and leave it at that? They’re the absolute fucking worst those wankers. Madrid are bastards too but at least they don’t hide from that and pretend to be something they don’t. Barca act like their shit don’t stink, whereas Madrid will drop one on your front lawn, knock on your door and say “We’ve just done that because we can, but we’re giving you a heads up that you might wanna clean it up sharpish as it fucking reeks”. 

In other news today, Jon Moss might have just relegated Southampton. He gave Everton a phantom free-kick in stoppage time and let them take it from 15 yards further up the field that the ‘foul’ took place. They went up the other end and scored with a wicked deflection with the last kick of the game. As funny as it was seeing the grid on Mark Hughes, I felt bad for those players who didn’t deserve that. Jon Moss should be struck off, he’s a disgrace to his profession.

nov10.jpg

Sunday May 6… 

Chelsea 1 L 0 So it’s going down to the final day then. Probably should have seen that coming after the West Brom result really. I think deep down most of us did really. Can’t blame the players as there’s basically only about 11 of them now and they’re giving us everything they have every game, and it’s eventually caught up with them. 

Aside from that 40-50 minute spell against Roma they’ve looked goosed for weeks now. Beating Brighton won’t be the walk in the park some seem to think, but the crowd should be bang up for it and will hopefully see us through. Bigger picture there are some things we need to be concerned about, not least our record against the rest of the top five. 

Not worried about the Spurs and City defeats but being taking only two points off United and Chelsea is a big concern because they just sat deep and nullified us. Basically Swansea’s approach but with better players. We have to do better against that approach and to do that we need more quality coming off the bench to be able to change tight games. That’s not Solanke or Ings, unfortunately. 

With that in mind it was encouraging to hear those rumours of a deal being in place for Nabil Fekir from Lyon. Yes please. Also some talk about Dembele from Barca. No thanks. Too expensive, too injured, and fuck doing anything with Barcelona. They’re skint and hopefully nobody will be stupid enough to pay over the odds for any of their players to fund a move for Griezemann. That said, I wouldn’t mind if a few of our lads were to come out with “Dembele is a great player, we’d welcome him here”. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the rest of the article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

For a few million a year, FSG could earn themselves a lot of goodwill but they just can't be bothered. Which surprises me because so many American corporations are now shit-hot about "corporate social responsibility ". What's the point of employing someone like Tony Barrett and then fucking up the fan relationship time and time again?

• Upvote 2

That goal kick thing reminds me of the reputation Westerveld had when he joined the club. It was almost as though it was only a matter of time before he scored direct from a goal kick like Pat Jennings, the way some in the media were going on about it. And it wouldn't be wind-assisted - just a mighty heave from his right boot that would sail over the opposing goalkeeper without even bouncing first. Granted, he did kick it further than Mignolet ever has, but it wasn't anything different to David James before him.

• Upvote 1

Daave is correct. the club do not give a flying F+++ about fans. i had a terrible incident at a Christmas function at Anfield with my elderly disabled Mother. I asked the club questions (not hard) just how they will ensure that Disabled people won't experience what my old Mum had to go through. That was Dec 10th last year. To date despite an initial promise to investigate absolutely nothing. They just don't give a fuck. Turn up. Pay Up . Shut the Fuck Up! That should be the club Mission Statement