You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea Away

Baltar

Van Dijk is currently in the "above criticism" territory on here, by and large, it seems to me. I wouldn't hold your breath expecting many people to come out and admit that he's been at fault for plenty of goals recently.

If you replace the word 'plenty' with 'one or two' you may have a point,but his(VVD) prevention of potential goals easily outweighs his culpability.

If you replace the word 'plenty' with 'one or two' you may have a point,but his(VVD) prevention of potential goals easily outweighs his culpability.

Very true. He has cost us quite a few goals though so the better than Hyypia stuff is really laughable.

Hopefully he's got a decent centre back to play alongside next year and a better midfield in front of him.

Don't think the goal was anyone's 'fault' it was an excellent spread ball out wide, a good twist and cross by Moses and just landed , via a slight deflection, perfectly on the head of possibly the best header in the division, who gave Karius no chance. 

Goals happen with good play by opposing attacks, they are not always our fault.

Have to agree even Conte has said it is not in their hands. Fact is there are 5 teams capable of being in the top four. Chelseas abject performances earlier have enabled ourselves and Spurs to benefit. Depending who Arsenals new manager is next season there could be 6 teams challenging for the 4 spots.

Expecting Chelsea to drop points to Huddersfield and Newcastle is folly given their recent form. They are winning both games and don't expect anything else. We just need to get our shit together and beat Brighton. 

This “it was a mistake and his fault” shit is irritating. I don’t really blame Van Dijk or Lovren. He just got in between them on to a ball that was perfect for him and finished it like Giroud does. Van Dijk is very good at judging his headers and positioning. It’s very easy to say he should have been stood in a different position but there’s all sorts of things going on. He goes to the front post I’m guessing because there’s a gap there and he doesn’t want somebody getting across him. Sometimes you just concede goals. The whole set up was the reason we lost the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSROy1LChQ

It was Van Dijk’s mistake. Yeah he’s a good player and he’s normally got at defending etc, but the goal was directly caused by his mistake.

I disagree. It’s entirely subjective. For all you know that’s exactly where Klop tells him to stand. It’s not like he’s misshit it or got a shit contact on a header. He’s covering the front post and it goes over him. The defensive line is relatively tight and it takes an inch perfect ball and good header to score. If you want to attribute that goal to a mistake you’ve got an agenda and seeing as how massively up Lovrens arse you are it’s obvious what that agenda is.

It’s not subjective at all. I highly doubt Klopp instructed him to go to mark that pocket of empty space, unless he’s an absolute idiot. Although that mistake could be very costly (if we miss out on top 4), it does not make him a bad defender. He’s still a better defender than Lovren for example.

I really do not know why people go all out on mistakes. Yes, it is disappointing. Yes it is frustrating but they happen in all works of life never mind football. The objective is to make as few as possible. The defeat was not what we wanted but for crying out loud, we are in the CL final and it is in our own hands to qualify by the league. If it goes tits up all we will get here is certain posters giving it the I told you so. well I am guessing Klopp does not give a tinkers cuss what people say on an internet forum so I would not get too stressed over it.

It’s not subjective at all. I highly doubt Klopp instructed him to go to mark that pocket of empty space, unless he’s an absolute idiot. Although that mistake could be very costly (if we miss out on top 4), it does not make him a bad defender. He’s still a better defender than Lovren for example.

He was quite obviously beaten by the deflection. Unlucky. Not really a mistake, just one of those things that can happen