You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard new r*ngers manager????

Bjornebye

How do you feel about it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about it?

There are plenty of Liverpool fans who have a fondness for Celtic for reasons other than bigotry. For example, Kenny Dalglish and 1989.

Few and far between I bet and sure as fuck not the reason the people I listen to daily "support" Celtic.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think it's a very smart decision from Rangers. Rangers need someone that can bring in a better calibre of player and Gerrard will do that. They also need someone that understands tactics in the modern game - not some Ally McCoist type that shouts at everyone in the dressing room (Warnock style) and refers to Celtic as fenian bastards. 

In fairness to Rodgers he's a very professional person. He's all about tactics and imparting a culture on a club. Rodgers is the first coach to take Scottish football into the 21st century. He's a genuine top 8 Premier League level coach against a bunch of League Two level coaches. 

Gerrard also knows how Rodgers sets up because he played as his captain. So that should stem some of the tactical masterclasses dished out by Rodgers on Rangers in recent seasons.

The players will also have someone in the dressing room that they can respect based on what he's done in the game.  It's really a win win for them.

For Gerrard though, it's a big risk because if he fails there then his chances, in terms of managing us, will be greatly reduced. 

Few and far between I bet and sure as fuck not the reason the people I listen to daily "support" Celtic.

I'm Celtic because it was the first kit I liked as a kid. As I got a little older learning that they sold the King to us made me like them more.

Rangers sold us Mark Walters and let Suness come to us as manager, that's more than enough reason to dislike them!

Gerrard also knows how Rodgers sets up because he played as his captain. So that should stem some of the tactical masterclasses dished out by Rodgers on Rangers in recent seasons.

This is my biggest dread about this whole potential affair.  That someone will create an image of Stevie looking up at a cloud-consumed Rodgers asking him "How am I doing, boss?"

• Upvote 3

Wish him all the best.

It maybe the wrong league for him but it is a step up in managerial experience.

Personally though I would have stayed and shadowed Klopp.

I think it's the right league. Where else could he go for a relatively easy ride? League one and the championship are notoriously difficult to get out of. So it would mean going to a foreign league where language would be an additional barrier.

Shadowing klopp while good in theory, does not give him the hands on responsibility he needs.

• Upvote 1

I think it's the right league. Where else could he go for a relatively easy ride? League one and the championship are notoriously difficult to get out of. So it would mean going to a foreign league where language would be an additional barrier.

Shadowing klopp while good in theory, does not give him the hands on responsibility he needs.

Agree with this , best option to branch out I feel.

This shadowing Klopp thing is a bit overstated , he isn't even on the same premises - he's about 10 miles away from him  on a daily basis.

My allegiance up there is very much with Celtic, though Rangers' spectacular fall has made the whole scene a lot less interesting to a casual fan like myself.

I'm baffled by Gerrard's move. Neil Lennon won titles up there and the best he could get afterwards was a job at Bolton. Unless he knows of some new investment that nobody else is aware of, Gerrard won't even get anywhere near those achievements. Celtic are as good as they need to be to keep winning at ease there for the forseeable future.

Genuinely, I reckon the MK Dons position he was linked with a while back was a bigger, better job.

Anyway, these concerns notwithstanding, I'm sure we can all - Bjornebye included - get behind Stevie in his new role. 

My allegiance up there is very much with Celtic, though Rangers' spectacular fall has made the whole scene a lot less interesting to a casual fan like myself.

I'm baffled by Gerrard's move. Neil Lennon won titles up there and the best he could get afterwards was a job at Bolton. Unless he knows of some new investment that nobody else is aware of, Gerrard won't even get anywhere near those achievements. Celtic are as good as they need to be to keep winning at ease there for the forseeable future.

Genuinely, I reckon the MK Dons position he was linked with a while back was a bigger, better job.

Anyway, these concerns notwithstanding, I'm sure we can all - Bjornebye included - get behind Stevie in his new role. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 4

As he may very well manage us one day I'll be very interested in how he gets on. I prefer Celtic to Rangers but would be keeping an eye on Rangers' results if Stevie is manager there. It's a tough gig no doubt, but also a great opportunity for a young manager after his first job. We can loan him a few youngsters who would do very well in Scotland, he could get close to Celtic next season and our youth players would get some great experience too. 

Maybe worth pointing out that Celtic are currently ahead of Rangers (3rd) by 13pts whereas Man City are 21pts ahead of us (3rd) in the league.

I think with a really good manager & a bit more investment teams like Rangers or even Aberdeen could possibly catch Celtic, who lets face it, aren't very good.

Personally I think this is all wrong for Gerrard at the moment but as I said to my brother (Rangers daft) at the weekend, if he's half as good a manager as he was a player, Rangers will piss the league next season.

Don't, you might upset the Grinch. 

Wanting Steven Gerrard to do well wouldn't upset me.  I do, I'll be hoping Rangers win the league next year because it's Steven Gerrard, the man who give me some of the biggest highs in my life.

The unnessarcery hatred & all that shit does.