You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard new r*ngers manager????

Bjornebye

How do you feel about it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about it?

Pretty gutted to be honest. Not because it's Rangers, but more because I thought he'd stick around and actually get to know the craft of managing and coaching from the people we have here, finding a firm basis for a future career. It may only be Scottish football, but it's still a way above what he's done thus far, and like a lot of ex-pros hoping they've somehow got the magic touch due to the gravitas of their playing careers, I expect him to be shite and get the boot sharpish.

I know we can never fully recreate the boot room, but I'd prefer he was here and learning, than taking a punt on the Rangers job.

This, apart from "pretty gutted", I'm probably just disappointed. I've never been convinced about his ability to manage however would have loved for him to have learnt his trade a bit more and make his way through the ranks at LFC. But that's not going to happen now and it could mean that his chances of managing Liverpool are over before they really began.

It's a hell of a risk to take and I don't think that job is worth that risk.

If you asked me 3 clubs Gerrard would be linked with managing. Rangers , Mk Dons and Ipswich would be near the very bottom.  Wonder how long Rodgers will hang around if he starts to get them playing.

Murty has been sacked today and it looks like Stevie is about to take the job. I am taking personal hatred for that club out of it and I still think it is a terrible job to take. Especially when it will be his first shot at management. That club is up the wall and skint, the fanbase expects to win every domestic game and the media circus up there is beyond the pale. Add to that he is a catholic and has said in the past he has a fondness for Celtic, he is on a hiding to nothing. They wont catch Celtic for the next few years.

He should have gone to MK Dons if he wants to manage or even stay at the U18's who are a far better side than r*ngers. He wont learn much up there apart from being in the spotlight as a manager. I cant see him lasting the whole season and i've seen loads of tweets and comments from their fans who dont want him. Even slagging him off for never winning a title/slipping up etc. He has even said inn the past that he has a Celtic strip framed on his wall.

They have had 11 different managers in the last 10 years.

If he has any sense he would have watched Sundays Old Firm and thought "fuck that".

I'm pretty devastated about it to be honest.

Not that its really relevant but Gerrard isnt a catholic hes church of england. He only went to Cardinal Heenan at the clubs request to keep jim away from bad influences in Huyton.

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I'm not bothered, though like others, for the first time in many years I will now have a passing interest in Scottish football. Because of Kenny I have a preference for Celtic, but it will be interesting to see how Stevie does at Rangers. 

I think Stevie is calculating this move shrewdly. It's win-win-win. 

Win number one

It's high profile. Keeps Stevie's name in the ether. 

Win number two

They are such a shambles and have been for such a long time that any uptick will see Stevie lauded, and it will help his managerial career. With a few judicious loans from LFC, it's not hard to imagine that uptick being just around the corner for them. 

Win number three

If it all goes pear shaped, he will do OK in the PR battle, as they have been such a shambles for such a long time that the 'failure' probably won't stick to Stevie, and he will be richer for the experience going into his next job. 

Not so sure about "Happy for him" but hope he succeeds.  Sure he'll have an eye on a few of the youngsters.  Maybe nab Jones to blood him in senior football early, maybe pick up Ward on the cheap, maybe give Solanke a go. 

Beat case scenario is he wins the SPL, possibly domestic cup too, makes him look good.

Worst case scenario is he finishes 2nd and gets knocked out of the domestic cup by Celtic.

At which point the argument can be made that he never stood a chance in the first place and it shouldn't be held against him.