You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buvac gone?

Tyler Durden

Liverpool have been linked with a move to appoint Pepijn Lijnders as Jurgen Klopp’s new No 2 and as a successor to Zeljko Buvac.

The Dutchman was a highly-regarded member of Klopp’s backroom team, having initially moved to Liverpool in 2014 as part of Brendan Rodgers’ coaching team.

But Lijnders left Anfield in January of this year to take up a job as coach of NEC Nijmegen in the Eerste Divisie.

His sole objective was to earn the club promotion back to the Eredivisie, but after NEC were beaten in a two-legged play-off by Emmen, Lijnders has now parted ways.

In a statement on the club’s website, Lijnders said: “Firstly, I want to thank my immediate daily staff, they have given everything and were very motivated to bring NEC success.

“Top and foremost professionals who give character to the club from the inside out.

“Secondly, I want to wish the club success, I wanted to build with a lot of drive, to form a new real NEC team but I feel that it is better to step out and open the door for a new coach who has the complete confidence enjoy.”

The news has predictably led to suggestions that his departure will lead to a return to Anfield and the role of Klopp’s No 2 at Anfield

The Reds boss has been working without an assistant since the surprise departure of Buvac earlier this month shortly before Liverpool’s 4-2 defeat to Roma which secured a 7-6 aggregate success in the Champions League semi-finals.

Buvac has only been placed on temporary leave by Liverpool and could yet return to his role at Anfield.

However, after a reported falling out with Klopp, the possibility of Buvac stepping back in any time soon seems unlikely – and that could lead Liverpool to turn to their former coach.

While there has been no comment on the Liverpool end about this, Lijnders would be able to slot effortlessly into Klopp’s set-up and could give the club a timely boost ahead of next Saturday’s Champions League final with defending champions Real Madrid.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it not obvious who took the decision? You think Klopp would stand back and let his right hand man be fucked off without him having any input? Don’t think we’re owed any explanation, they fell out over something and Klopp thought it better if he wasn’t there.

No, I disagree; it's not obvious who took the decision.  Did he leave or did Klopp sack him?

I didn't think that was clear.

And again I disagree; we are owed an explanation.  He was a key figure who left under unusual circumstances at a crucial time of the season, maybe with significant repercussions.

The club need to front up and be clear about what happened - a lack of clarity is almost always replaced by innuendo and rumour which is never healthy.

No, I disagree; it's not obvious who took the decision.  Did he leave or did Klopp sack him?

I didn't think that was clear.

And again I disagree; we are owed an explanation.  He was a key figure who left under unusual circumstances at a crucial time of the season, maybe with significant repercussions.

The club need to front up and be clear about what happened - a lack of clarity is almost always replaced by innuendo and rumour which is never healthy.

The only caveat to that is that one of the rumours is that Buvac has taken time off to take care of some family illness stuff.  If that's true, then the club are right to keep quiet.

Is it not obvious who took the decision? You think Klopp would stand back and let his right hand man be fucked off without him having any input? Don’t think we’re owed any explanation, they fell out over something and Klopp thought it better if he wasn’t there.

Last time i heard anything he was 'taking leave' and remained an employee. So not sure what you base your statement on about him not being at club and a "fall out" and "Klopp taking a decision"

Well actually I do and it is part of the ongoing speculation as people talk and offer opinion about who said and did what and why...who does and does not 'owe' any explanations etc....it is all simply down to people creating scenarios in their heads.

I am sure that when there is more to be told the club will tell...i.e. he is coming back to work or he isn't - and that will be as much as we get.

Quite rightly.

In the meantime, none of us know anymore than what the club have said - he remains an employee and is on personal leave.

• 1 month later...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pep-lijnders-steps-up-jurgen-14937907.amp

Pearce is saying Buvac won't be returning and Pep Lijnders will fill the role

However, the ECHO understands that the Bosnian Serb won't be returning and his 17-year working relationship with Klopp is effectively over. His exit is likely to be confirmed over the coming weeks. 

Klopp isn't looking to make any further additions to his backroom staff with Lijnders filling the Buvac void.