You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buvac gone?

Tyler Durden

12 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6404363-mystery-behind-zeljko-buvac-s-liverpool-departure-revealed-as-backroom-controversy-takes-its-toll/partners/44725?fbclid=IwAR2izTG01TlD94FvyEQ2zlnMsSHz8ySF954HoWKGQwxFmLdg243MHAWCR74

Jurgen Klopp's former assistant Zeljko Buvac left Liverpool due to the growing influence of assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders, according to an updated version of Klopp's biography. 

Buvac had been Klopp's right-hand man throughout the German manager's career as head coach of Mainz, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool, and was known as 'the Brain' behind Klopp's success due to his tactical understanding of the game. 

However, the 57-year-old became increasingly unhappy with his role at the club, resentful that Lijnders - who was behind both himself and third assistant Peter Krawietz in the pecking order - was enjoying too much responsibility. 

In the updated version of Klopp's biography, author Raphael Honigstein explained (via the Express): ''The Liverpool (staff) had noticed that the notoriously taciturn Bosnian had switched from monosyllabic to zero-syllabic in the last few months.

''Buvac gave the impression that he wasn't happy with the increasing influence of the fourth assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders. The relaxed, bright Dutchman had been very popular with the players.

''The relationship between Buvac and Klopp had survived, both could simply no longer work together.'' 

Klopp has previously spoken in glowing terms of Lijnders, who had a brief spell at NEC Nijmegen in 2018 but was sacked after failing to get the club promoted to Eredivisie. 

''I could write a book about him, about what a big influence he had, about what a fantastic young - I still don't know what his title is - assistant manager!" he said.

''What a fantastic young coach he is, what a lively presence he is. How big the influence of his optimism is and how lively he is on the training pitch. It is just a fact. 

''I was like that when I was young and I am not like that any more, that's how it is. You cannot use the (same) words always and again, so it gives me the opportunity to watch and to go in the right way.''

Read it the first time.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

What’s this about him giving an interview saying he hasn’t congratulated anyone on the League win and saying he was the manager for 17 years, or some such?

In April 2018, assistant coach Zeljko Buvac, once generously dubbed “The Brain” by Jurgen Klopp, left Liverpool after a breakdown of their 17-year-managerial relationship. Neither man ever commented on the reasons for their estrangement. But attitudes don’t seem to have softened much in the interim. Buvac, now sporting director of Dynamo Moscow, told Russian journalist Nobel Arustamyan that he didn’t offer any congratulations to Klopp or anyone else for that matter when the club won their first Premier League for 30 years this summer. “I didn’t,” Buvac said. “I was happy for Liverpool, for the fans, for the players. But I didn’t.” Note the omission of Klopp’s name.

In a section of Arustamyan’s YouTube feature, which is set to publish on the channel tomorrow, Buvac also said he had turned down many offers from clubs to take over as head coach before agreeing to the sporting director role in the Russian capital: “I don’t want to be a manager now. If Barcelona calls me, then I’ll think about it, but otherwise no. You say I’m here just to stay occupied and wait for a better chance. But if you knew what kind of offers I had rejected during the pause in my career, you wouldn’t have said that. But I won’t tell you which clubs”.

The former Mainz 05 midfielder, who had been Klopp’s confidant since 2001, pointedly explained that coaching held no appeal to him, “because it felt like I’ve been the manager for all those 17 years (with Klopp at Mainz, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool). I did the job of a manager, except speaking in public and giving interviews. Apart from that, I had all the functions and tried to influence my team as much as I could to help them succeed. But I didn’t need that kind of attention.” Klopp will no doubt be delighted to hear that.

I think that’s been lost in translation a bit there for headlines.  I’m guessing but I reckon what he’s saying isn’t a slight on Klopp or bigging himself up.  He simply saying he went on the training pitch for all those years and sat in the dugout making decisions (whether Klopp ignored them or not) and it just doesn’t interest him go do that anymore.  He may as well have been the manager because he did a lot of similar things.

Whether he was acting like a manager or not he doesn't seem like someone that could handle the limelight nor coddle the players that need it based on that article (which of course is a one off and the content could be lost in translation or with a lack of context). I think a lot of us worried for a second that it might turn out like when Rafa and Pako Ayestaran had their falling out and something definitely seemed lost, of course the other side of that is that it all might've went that way had the man stayed as well, we simply don't know. Thankfully though, we seemed to have kicked on and moved up a wholly different level under Klopp than when Buvac was here, now perhaps that's just the natural development of the team and would've happened anyway but again we have no idea of knowing. What we do know though is that Klopp is at least just as capable without him as he was with him and so who really gives a shit if they're not friends anymore. From a personal standpoint its kind of sad but then again I don't what caused the falling out anyway.