You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How much sleep do you get/need?

Joe Rogan latest podcast is with a sleep expert. The impacts it can have on your life are amazing.

6 hours of sleep or less will reduce your testosterone to the levels of someone 10 years older.

Worth listening too?

Was unsure if i wanted to bother. Some of the guest not been my thing of late.

I've had a few nights with crap sleep and I feel awful in a variety of ways. Tired, frustrated, sad, weak, moody.

Anyways, it's got me wondering, as everyone seems to be different, how much sleep do you need to feel good do well on whatever it is you do?

I think I need to average 7 hours minimal and if it consistently falls to 6 or below, the above symptoms creep in. If I have an all nighter for whatever reason it takes me about 3+ nights of good sleep to feel right again. 8+ on a regular basis and I'd lash Dragos head I to the crowd myself with ease.

Mmmmmmm.....delicious sleep.

Casanova over here.

• 6 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 5:28 PM, Captain Turdseye said:

Genuinely can’t remember the last time I slept for longer than four hours without waking up at least once. Struggle to get to sleep at night, wake up at regular intervals, usually lying awake before the kids are up for school and find it impossible to sleep in daytime hours.

I’m fucking knackered. It’s become normal.

Something has drastically changed here. 11 hours Friday night, could easily have been more if not for the kids banging around. 12 hours Saturday night, only woke up at midday yesterday because the Tesco delivery man knocks like he’s performing a fucking drugs raid. Kind of thankful for that actually, meant I only missed the first five minutes of the match. 8 hours last night and once my bird had taken the kids to school this morning I went back to bed and slept for another four hours. The dog just ran in and woke me up and I’m still absolutely shattered. I don’t know what’s going on. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Something has drastically changed here. 11 hours Friday night, could easily have been more if not for the kids banging around. 12 hours Saturday night, only woke up at midday yesterday because the Tesco delivery man knocks like he’s performing a fucking drugs raid. Kind of thankful for that actually, meant I only missed the first five minutes of the match. 8 hours last night and once my bird had taken the kids to school this morning I went back to bed and slept for another four hours. The dog just ran in and woke me up and I’m still absolutely shattered. I don’t know what’s going on. 

https://thrive.kaiserpermanente.org/care-near-you/northern-california/sanjose/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2015/10/sleep-restriction-rev2_tcm28-557887.pdf

2 minutes ago, Seasons said:

I’m not concerned about the long sleep as such, mate. See the post I quoted. My illness tends to keep me from getting enough (or any) solid sleep as a rule and it’s something I’d just gotten used to over this last couple of years. Heck, if it’s all of a sudden possible for me to sleep for 11-12 hours regularly I’ll embrace it and start heading up to bed straight after my tea! 

What I’m wondering is if these last few days are a sign of something about to flare up. If it does, I’ll end up with a beard again and nobody wants to see that. 

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

Is anyone else completely unable to switch their brain off when it comes to going asleep, even if they’re knackered?

Ever since I was a kid I’ve struggled to get to sleep, and when I do eventually drop off I’m awake a matter of hours later. I probably get 3-5 hours interrupted sleep a night at most.

I watch the Mrs get into bed and she’s asleep within 2 minutes of her head hitting the pillow. When I go on a stag-do or trip away with my mates they get in bladdered and fall asleep instantly and I’ll be awake pissed for hours and still can’t get to sleep. And when I finally do I wake up before them.

I just lay there thinking of increasingly mad things. What would be the best LFC 5-aside team of all time? Who is the ugliest woman to come out of Scotland? Last night for no apparent reason the question ‘do The Westies still exist?’ Popped into my head at about 2am and I spent about an hour reading about them. I just can’t switch off.

Last year I was off work with depression and anxiety and got some antidepressants and I was sleeping for about 14 hours a day without waking up which was amazing. Obviously had to change them for different ones when I went back to work and now I’m back to being unable to sleep with the added bonus of having strange, vivid dreams thrown in when I eventually do drop off.

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Is anyone else completely unable to switch their brain off when it comes to going asleep, even if they’re knackered?

Ever since I was a kid I’ve struggled to get to sleep, and when I do eventually drop off I’m awake a matter of hours later. I probably get 3-5 hours interrupted sleep a night at most.

I watch the Mrs get into bed and she’s asleep within 2 minutes of her head hitting the pillow. When I go on a stag-do or trip away with my mates they get in bladdered and fall asleep instantly and I’ll be awake pissed for hours and still can’t get to sleep. And when I finally do I wake up before them.

I just lay there thinking of increasingly mad things. What would be the best LFC 5-aside team of all time? Who is the ugliest woman to come out of Scotland? Last night for no apparent reason the question ‘do The Westies still exist?’ Popped into my head at about 2am and I spent about an hour reading about them. I just can’t switch off.

Last year I was off work with depression and anxiety and got some antidepressants and I was sleeping for about 14 hours a day without waking up which was amazing. Obviously had to change them for different ones when I went back to work and now I’m back to being unable to sleep with the added bonus of having strange, vivid dreams thrown in when I eventually do drop off.

Unless I'm drunk I simply can not get to sleep for ages when I go to bed. I am actually scared of going to bed because I know I am going spend a few hours tossing and turning. Its horrible. I got prescribed sleeping tablets and antidepressants a few years back but the happy pills sent me west. The sleeping tablets were great though. 

I try all sorts as well. Stopped taking my phone to bed, got a low light lamp so I can have a read before I try and sleep, camomile tea, warm milk you name it. Nothing fucking works. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Unless I'm drunk I simply can not get to sleep for ages when I go to bed. I am actually scared of going to bed because I know I am going spend a few hours tossing and turning. Its horrible. I got prescribed sleeping tablets and antidepressants a few years back but the happy pills sent me west. The sleeping tablets were great though. 

I try all sorts as well. Stopped taking my phone to bed, got a low light lamp so I can have a read before I try and sleep, camomile tea, warm milk you name it. Nothing fucking works. 

I normally stick the weird soundtracks on YouTube on. Storms at sea, thunderstorms etc. Only think that works if I'm struggling

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I normally stick the weird soundtracks on YouTube on. Storms at sea, thunderstorms etc. Only think that works if I'm struggling

Ive tried that too. Some nights I pray for rain so I can listen too it batter the windows 

8 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Fuck all tonight as dropped boiling water on my foot , trying to stop the boiled egg rolling off the kitchen top with the pan of boiling water, great.

You might wanna mop that water up otherwise it's easytoslip.

easytoslip - hard to sleep?

What?

12 minutes ago, Six Buoys said:

Try Sleepio. 

https://www.sleepio.com/work/nhs/#/welcome?_k=ykwndm

Free access via your local IAPT service (speak to your GP). I'd talk more about it (Sleepio) but I'll get another thread about claiming to be a sleep expert. 

giphy.gif

My score was 0.0 / 10 ....

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah, I have the same problem. I can’t seem to relax/switch off enough to fall asleep. Doesn’t help that I’m frightened of the dark, which I wasn’t as a kid, and have to sleep with the light on. I suffer from anxiety and as daft as it sounds, I’m actually frightened of going to sleep, as I have really bad nightmares. I put off going to bed until about 2 or 3am but lie there for another couple of hours, thinking about all manner of shite, mostly lists and top tens and stuff. I end up reaching for my phone and searching for old LFC pictures, crap on eBay that I don’t need/won’t ever buy and watching stuff like this

• Upvote 1

Since my recent operation I feel constantly tired. Regularly go to bed for a couple ot hours around tea time but I'm fairly sure that's just compounding my lethargy.

I'm also in the habit of sticking my ipad on when I wake during the night, spend half of the night mooching through shite on the internet before I feel tired enough to go back to sleep, quite often around 8 or 9 am.