You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next season's title race

Grinch

We won't be anywhere near until we can rotate players without such a huge drop off in quality. I reckon it's city's again next year with United getting closer.

We need to spend big. As far as I'm concerned kieta was last years money as was VVD and we aint spent a penny of the Coutinho money supposedly. Ever growing TV money plus champions league cash, Time again to buy top class in the VVD mould and push a few first teamers onto the bench, fuck off permanent crocks like lallana. Despite all the shite in the papers recently about money not being that important it absolutely is, where would city be now if it wasn't for abhu dhabi, or Chelsea without Roman or the mancs not being able to spend 40 million quid on a player nearly 15 years ago yet pretending somehow they never did it with money. Money buys better players and better players win you things.

The biggest positive at the club is klopp but even he can only do so much. All that aside you can see the roots of something special if we don't stand still.

Shit yeah that's not to forget the champions league this year which has been quality.

The owners are incredibly fortunate that our manager, despite what some mongoloids in the press might think, is drastically overachieving.

To be ahead of Chelsea in the league, so close to United, and in a CL semi final, takes the spotlight off the fact that we don't have a single top quality midfielder, back up forward, and we've struck relative gold with the full backs (a £35m left back for a quarter of the price and a kid from the youth team).

This squad really should be 6th (considering what we've spent and the relatively short time the manager has had to put the squad together) and happy to get out of the CL group stages.

I think City will win the league again next season with us, Chelsea and United all within 6-8 points, and a similar gap between 1st and 2nd. Spurs and Arsenal 5th and 6th, another 6-8 points off 4th.

• Upvote 1

We don't have the squad depth. We won't get the squad depth. Another brilliant 3rd place finish beckons.

Have to agree with this. We need to spend money on both the first eleven and suitably talented replacements,its hard to see this kind of money being available. To be fair to Klopp his build by evolution not revolution is a sound theory,but you always have the feeling that as he's building a good squad he will need to sell one or two big names to finance his buys. I hope I'm wrong of course.

We will always be struggling because the owners will never sanction a summer spending spree of 250 million because we operate on a sell to buy policy. We have to build up slower than the two manc clubs and Chelsea because they can invariably get what they want with their money.

We still need to kick on because we can move further away from Arsenal and Spurs.

Don't think City will be too much worse next season. They'll spend another unbelievable amount in the summer.

Kompany, Fernandinho and Silva are at an age where they will probably need replacing in the next season or so. Unfortunately, Citeh have got the money and the manager to do that.

People never like to hear this, but a lot of title races come down to a bit of luck here and there.

We were massively lucky from set pieces in particular in 13/14, and that almost got us the title (Skrtel had 8 league goals that season!). Then we were hugely unlucky with Gerrard against Chelsea and that cost us the league. Or you could point to the Boxing Day game against City, where we had Sterling through on goal wrongly called offside. That call goes the other way and we would have been champions.

Next year will probably come down to how City do. If they go on a similar run to this year, then there will be no catching them. They have been historically amazing this season, and I doubt we'll see the like again for 10 years.

If they fall off a bit and come in at 85 points, let's say, we can beat that. With Keita and Jorginho (or Neves?) in midfield, we will be better than we are this year. If we can keep the front 3 fit in front of that midfield, we can genuinely get 85 points. With a bit of luck here and there, maybe we could push 90.

But then again, a few bounces go against us and we could end up on 78 points and 3rd just as easily. I don't think we'll struggle to finish top 4 next year - just keeping the current squad together and adding Keita is enough to ensure we'll be better than we were this year. But beyond that? Who knows. Hopefully we will "hit" on another signing who we expect to be good but turns out unbelievably good, like Salah, and we can go and take the title off City.

Top four in the English league could even become a bit weird for a few years unless one or two clubs spectacular fall away from it like we did for a spell.   Six good teams into four doesn't go.

How long until England get six champions league players?£?

Keep what we want player wise, buy a keeper, centre half, midfielder, Keita, a winger and a striker.

Won't happen but it should.

Get rid of Mignolet, Bogdan, Flanagan, Moreno. Can will be leaving. Markovic, Sturridge one of Ings or Origi.

Loan Gomez and Solanke, promote Wilson.

Keita, Sessegnon, Wilson, Jorginho or Rabiot and a back up/competition keeper would massively improve us. And be affordable, fit the recruitment policy and be consistent with how Klopp likes it.

How much would that lot cost(Keita aside?) Sessegn on would come from an English club who would demand silly money and I've not seen Jorginho or Rabiot and imagine they'd cost a pretty packet and be on other team's radars too. Klopp doesn't tend to do more than 2,3 or 4 signings at once and there's no guarantee he'd spend anything like he did on Van Dijk if he didn't see a need to.

City to win it next year by a narrower margin . We will be 3rd or 4th again, 

Ha. And you told me I was being a pessimist when I said City would stand between Jurgen and winning a title for us. Only difference is I think we will run City closer next season so I am say we will be 2nd or 3rd.

Keep what we want player wise, buy a keeper, centre half, midfielder, Keita, a winger and a striker.

Won't happen but it should.

Get rid of Mignolet, Bogdan, Flanagan, Moreno. Can will be leaving. Markovic, Sturridge one of Ings or Origi.

Loan Gomez and Solanke, promote Wilson.

Loan the Naymar chaining Gomez, our most versatile defender, is all the excuse needed to fire my first neg.

The suggestion is an act of heresy and a crime against talent.

Shameful.

Top four in the English league could even become a bit weird for a few years unless one or two clubs spectacular fall away from it like we did for a spell.   Six good teams into four doesn't go.

How long until England get six champions league players?£?

That is a good shout actually. The PL is stronger and 2 quality teams will miss out on the top 4. Spurs could suffer if Pochetinno decides to move on. Chelsea and Arsenals fortunes will depend who they get in to manage them.

I could see UEFA stopping EL winners qualifying for the following seasons CL if England Spain or Germany regularly get 5 clubs in the CL via this route.

Ha. And you told me I was being a pessimist when I said City would stand between Jurgen and winning a title for us. Only difference is I think we will run City closer next season so I am say we will be 2nd or 3rd.

I was in an upbeat mood that day before suffering Utd grinding their way to the cup final. Horrible to watch but effective and with money to burn I think we will struggle to finish ahead of them. Still if we get on a roll and Mo bangs in another 30 league goals who knows but it takes a leap of faith