You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 4

niallers

As I reflected on what King Emlyn said to me, it occurred to me that if he spoke like that to someone in the pub he would get a smack and it would regulate itself that way. But apparently it’s OK to talk to people like that on here, without provocation, when you’ve never even exchanged words with them before?

kfc.jpg

• Upvote 1

I was with you up until the punching in the pub bit. I don’t know why you added that bit in because it cheapens the whole post. He’s had a pop at you verbally not physically. The difference in scales of the two when you escalate the level of them is completely different. If somebody said what he said to you in the pub you would just tell him to fuck off which is exactly what you should have just done here.

As Sasas alluded to above it’s not really something you can give an example of in a real life situation either. It’s the online you he’s having a go at. You might never have conversed with KE but he may have read thousands of your posts. He will have an idea on what your opinions are and the manner you write them down which might not be how you are in person. If he takes a dislike to you then just ignore him. It really is easy enough to do. The issue seems to be that you can’t handle not being liked.

I don’t know if I’ve ever replied to any of your posts before but personally I think you come across alright. The forum is always a poorer place when anyone apart from the wums leave/get booted. I find it a good read even though I reckon I disagree with more than half of what’s written.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for responses folks, and the pub bit is making me second guess the wisdom of including that analogy. It’s definitely not the same scale, obviously.

The part about needing to be liked feels wide of the mark to me. It’s more a matter of fairness and respect. I may have an overdeveloped old fashioned British sense of fair play, but there you have it.

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to give a final comment on this, having taken a few days to reflect.

From my perspective it wasn’t a disagreement. It was an attack. To the best of my knowledge I had never even spoken with King Emlyn or exchanged any ideas before he took it on himself to aggressively have a pop at me.

After we lost to Chelsea we were all gutted. I tried to look on the bright side and point towards the last day of the season, anticipating that we would beat Brighton, secure top four, have a nice send off to the final, and Chelsea would be gutted, having put in a late season surge and gone close to top four.

For that King Emlyn said I was talking shit. It’s not the world’s worst insult by any means, but I asked him to show me how, and he couldn’t. Instead he said he didn’t like me (laughable to take that stance towards someone on here really, as we are not 14 year old girls). Then he added more by saying I was condescending, and also acting the big bollocks towards Chelsea.

It was all rather odd, so I stepped back for a few days to reflect, both on whether or not there was any merit in what King Emlyn was saying, and also whether or not I would continue to post here.

I came back a while later and read through the thread again. I was hoping there might have been a softening of heart, or some sort of sign that the aggression towards me was a regrettable mistake -and we’re all capable of that, but there was no sign of contrition. In fact, it looked like it was getting worse, as King Emlyn added to the insult by also calling me a phony.

I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean. I am who I am. A red. It’s why I’m here. Originally from the Wirral. Married to an American girl. I’m a minister. Served churches in Bromsgrove, Leicester and Northampton, before moving over here. Nearly losing our daughter triggered the decision to move. I never had any desire to live anywhere apart from that he UK, but Mrs G wanted to be close to her family, which was understandable, so I backed my bride and we moved.

I wasn’t 100% sure what I would do over here when we made the decision to move, as it’s different - I’ll leave it at that. But a door opened for me professionally, and I continue to serve as a minister. I’m a fish out of water sometimes, but I do use the small platform I have to occasionally challenge the status quo in the Midwest that says (it’s an exaggeration, but there’s a grain of truth in it) to be a good Christian you have to love Trump, love guns and hate the gay community.

Anyway, I don’t know why I’m writing this, other than possible catharsis. I don’t know why someone who doesn’t know me would call me a phony.

As I reflected on what King Emlyn said to me, it occurred to me that if he spoke like that to someone in the pub he would get a smack and it would regulate itself that way. But apparently it’s OK to talk to people like that on here, without provocation, when you’ve never even exchanged words with them before?

The internet has no shortage of loons, and it is easy to dismiss if they are some no mark who is up to no good. But apparently, King Emlyn is a respected poster. He is a member of the site and has been here for many years, and some of the longstanding “pillars” of this community vouch for him.

So that troubles me enormously, as clearly this isn’t some loon or no mark. So I find myself in the new situation where respected posters can just decide, one day, to go at you.

Now, you could say the attack wasn’t that bad, but to the person on the receiving end it was. Let’s go back to the pub. If someone punched someone out of the blue, and then claimed it wasn’t that bad because they weren’t hospitalized or permanently marked, it would not be appropriate to say to the fella who got punched, “It wasn’t that bad. It was only a little slap. You need a thicker skin. People get battered worse than that all the time.”

As far as the notion of being bullied is concerned, that doesn’t factor into it for me. I’ve never backed down from anything in my life, if I felt the fight was worth it.

But this isn’t, or at least shouldn’t be, a fight. I come in here to pass the time and talk football with (mostly) people from back home. At its best it reminds me of where I’m from and provides a forum to while away some lazy moments doing nothing much. I find that it helps me unwind in an increasingly hectic life, and so it serves its purpose well.

With that said, my concern is this place has become overly savage, when even respected posters are happy to treat other longstanding posters so aggressively, out of the blue, with no context of previous exchange between them.

I will plan to maintain an account as I might come back, but for now I am bowing out. For all those good posters who have challenged and stimulated interesting discussion on here over the years, thank you.

There’s no strop on my part. No flounce. Just a sense that it’s time to move on. Peace and love.

Totally agree with your third last paragraph. Since I started posting here I noticed a number of posters are agressive and want to shout down any view that does not meet their own. You can be called a boring tit for posting something you believe in yet one of the shouters can repeat their view ad nauseum and they are not boring tits apparently. That is different.

The world revolves around different views but some people object to some people sharing them. It kind of defeats the idea of a forum if there is only one line of thought followed by everyone.

Shame you are staying off the board for the time being. I suggested you reconsider but respect your decision. Hopefully you will still get great enjoyment from watching the boys and Jurgen progress our club.

Take care.

Not doing yourself any favours with that post Rev.

Thanks for the feedback. I wondered whether to even say anything, given the limitations of the written word on a message forum. It didn’t seem right after being here over the years to just vanish. I wish we were all just in the pub having a pint because writing stuff down can seem formal and weird.

But I am concerned about the increase of disrespect and lack of fair play with that.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for responses folks, and the pub bit is making me second guess the wisdom of including that analogy. It’s definitely not the same scale, obviously.

The part about needing to be liked feels wide of the mark to me. It’s more a matter of fairness and respect. I may have an overdeveloped old fashioned British sense of fair play, but there you have it.

Even allowing for that, should the fact that King E is now banned and 100% of the respondents think he was wrong count for something?

Just so you know, by the way, I showed my wife this conversation in sequence and she was amazed; telling me for the last 5 years that she hates me and thinks I'm a phony has been her daily routine.

I wouldn’t worry too much about being respected or disrespected on a football forum mate, it means nothing and the people on here mean nothing personally to you as you’ll probably meet very few face to face, that’s not to say you don’t like or enjoy reading what certain members have to say I just wouldn’t put so much importance on whether people on here likes or dislike you. As long as your family like and respect you it doesn’t really matter what people on here think. I’ve had arguments and disagreements on here loads of times but couldn’t tell you who it was with because sometimes I don’t even look who’s posted what, I just reply to things I agree or disagree with. To cut a long story short, everyone on here’s a dickhead but they’re our dickheads.

We’ve qualified for next seasons CL and are in the final this year, don’t put too much emphasis on negativity and enjoy the moment. Could be years until the next final, this club is thriving on optimism and positivity at the moment and as a whole this forum is a reflection of it. It’s the magic of Jurgen Klopp just be happy and keep posting what you think and if people don’t like it or give you abuse for it, just brush it off and ignore anything you feel deserves ignoring.

• Upvote 1

Can only echo what others have said Rev and that one bad experience from one poster should not make you feel like you can't post comfortably here.

From a selfish point of view I'd be extremely saddened to see you leave the forum as you're easily one of the very best, always reasoned, insightful and polite.

I do take your point about debates sometimes being shouted down, indeed, that's always been particular to the ff rather than the gf for some reason.

I do hope you stick around mate, or at the very least just take a break if that's what it takes. I did the same a couple of years back after someone gave me shit for something and it ruined the night out I was on because I was thinking about the comments and it was pissing me off. When the internet starts affecting you in the real world, that's when you know you're taking things to heart, as I was.

I just had to balance things out though and say was that the norm, and it wasn't, in fact the reason it stung so much was because it's not the norm on here at all.

There's some tremendous stuff on this forum which has literally touched both life and death, it's a unique mix and you're very much central to that in my view.

Can only echo what others have said Rev and that one bad experience from one poster should not make you feel like you can't post comfortably here.

From a selfish point of view I'd be extremely saddened to see you leave the forum as you're easily one of the very best, always reasoned, insightful and polite.

I do take your point about debates sometimes being shouted down, indeed, that's always been particular to the ff rather than the gf for some reason.

I do hope you stick around mate, or at the very least just take a break if that's what it takes.

I did the same a couple of years back after someone gave me shit for something and it ruined the night out I was on because I was thinking about the comments and it was pissing me off. When the internet starts affecting you in the real world, that's when you know you're taking things to heart, as I was.

I just had to balance things out though and say was that the norm, and it wasn't, in fact the reason it stung so much was because it's not the norm on here at all.

There's some tremendous stuff on this forum which has literally touched both life and death, it's a unique mix and you're very much central to that in my view.

Was it when I said I thought Stringer Bell was a slightly better vilain than Avon?

I know you're in charge of Avon's Facebook page, and that can't have been easy to hear.

Was it when I said I thought Stringer Bell was a slightly better vilain than Avon?

I know you're in charge of Avon's Facebook page, and that can't have been easy to hear.

I discontinued Avon's page, it was taking up too much of me time. Terrible shame.

Couple of these would get a game. b92278e98e249c38ab3cd950a25ca97f.jpg

Second top right and third bottom left look like they have a lot of theories on the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Yemen, especially with regard to Theresa May and Donald Trump's funding of the epidemic, and if it constitutes a breach of international law.