You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

roma home

kop77

After 20-odd minutes I thought we were in trouble & would have been delirious at the thought of a 3 goal lead. 

I think we can sometimes underestimate the effort we put into our pressing game and I think realistically there will be occasions where we have to expect teams to come at us in the latter stages of games.

When did Kiev become Kyiv ?

• Upvote 1

I think we saw why Klopp was so angry with the two late goals conceded at West Brom, as perhaps he is having to manage Mo through to the end of the season, finding the balance between keeping him fresh and not overdoing it and risking injury. He felt his groin a few matches ago.

The draw at West Brom arguably means we have to do more against Stoke, which in turn means we might be depending on Mo a bit more than we perhaps needed to. So Klopp is trying to get him some rest when he can.

On the face of it, you should be able to take a breather when you are 5-0 up, with two games to come in the next week. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and it looks a bit like Jurgen got it wrong, but what’s to say he’s not managing it perfectly, and we beat Stoke and go through to the CL final, with Mos coming through it all unscathed?

Guess we’ll see in the next week.

I'm sure Klopp knows that the minute Salah goes off, we concede a fair bit of initiative.

And he has to balance that against the need to wrap him up on 70 minutes.

As the moment we cease attacking, we are incredibly shaky. I thought wed kicked the habit but we really havent.

At least if we get to the final, its balls out with only the summer to come.

No team has kept a clean sheet at home to Liverpool, with the reds scoring 20 goals in 6 away games, including the playoff round.

Roma haven't conceded a goal at home in the CL this season.

The unstoppable force vs the immovable object.

Plus we are undefeated so far in Europe this year.

Weird game to say the least.

Roma had the better of the opening 30 minutes and while they didn't exactly cut us open, they had a couple of attempts to take the lead. Karius got an unconvincing hand to a long-range effort from Kolarov, spilling the ball onto the bar, and they were finding space in the middle of the park quite well. We had a couple of reasonable openings ourselves in that spell, with Firmino playing a ball right across the goalmouth after a heavy first touch.

Then Ox damaged his knee making a routine challenge down by the touchline, and he looked to be in serious pain, eventually being stretchered away after treatment at pitchside. It wouldn't surprise me if he's done his ACL there, and it looks like he's out for the rest of the season. A real shame as his displays have been very good recently.

Gini came on for him and immediately buzzed about the midfield, and we started winning the ball back further upfield. FIrmino and Mane linked up and the Senegalese man charged through on goal. Everyone was waiting for the net to ripple, but the shot sailed over the crossbar. I couldn't believe he missed that. Barely a minute later, he was in again, fed inside the area by Salah. He scuffed his effort horribly high and wide. Barely a minute after that, Salah was in after a fortunate ricochet following a one-two, but Alisson read it and palmed it away.

We'd suddenly found a gear that Roma couldn't live with, and who else but Salah opened the scoring. That was a fantastic curler right into the very top corner. We were on top and Roma looked sluggish and disorganised, especially from corners. Lovren hit the bar with one free header, and headed a tame one straight at Alisson when again in space. Salah's second was a thing of beauty too, with another sweet link-up with Firmino, a brilliant dummy run to fool Juan Jesus, and the deftest final over the advancing Alisson. That's 43 goals and counting!

2-0 at half time and things were looking good. Things got even better in the second half when Salah - who time and again was given space on the right and the opportunity to go one-to-one with Juan Jesus - beat his man and squared for Mane to tap in. Up to then, Mane's movement had been excellent but his end product was off. Even late in the first half he was played in one-on-one but hesitated at the vital moment, allowing his marker to close him down and get the ball away.

We looked like we'd really tear Roma apart, and it was another far post tap in for Firmino to make it 4-0. Soon afterwards, he made it 5-0 after heading in unmarked from a corner.

There was always going to be a spell where our tempo dropped off and Roma would be seeing more of the ball. With the intensity of our approach, it's hard to keep up for 90 minutes. What I didn't like was how sloppy we got defensively. Trent A-A was loose with some of his play, but Lovren's game completely collapsed after he'd picked up a needless booking in the Roma half for obstructing Dzeko.

Lovren shanked a clearance into Schick which bounced wide of the goal, and then dropped off too far before deciding to go for an aerial ball he wasn't favourite for. He missed it and left Dzeko free to get Roma a goal back. Dzeko always seems to score against us at Anfield. He's never won there though.

More Lovren slackness led to a panicky clearance from which Roma worked the ball out eventually down to their left, and Kolarov (or Perotti?) played the ball into for Schick to head at goal. Karius got down to make the stop.

Milner was a bit unfortunate to concede a penalty for handball, from which Perotti scored, but that last 10 minutes was very sloppy from us all round. When Salah was subbed on Saturday, Mane completely disappeared from the game. The same thing happened tonight. Ings can't bring us what Salah does, but if Mane goes off the boil with no Salah on the pitch, we lose and awful ot of pace and mobility in attack. That is partly why we struggled in the final 10 minutes.

I've no doubt we'll go on to finish the job in Rome, but we need more control and intelligence from our players. For about 45 minutes either side of half time, we were explosive and threatened to take the tie away completely. We've left Roma a glimmer which I don't think will amount to anything in the end, but more savvy in this game would have rendered the second leg a complete non-event.

• Upvote 2

This is going to be a long week of the vocal minority saying we're out and they rest having to throw our collective eyes up to heaven at them. 5.2 is an unbelievable result lads. Yeah, the way we conceded at the end puts a bit of a downer on it, and it would have been better had it say been 4.2 and then we scored again. But I would've been happy with any win to nil or a 3 goal lead! We have the latter. Happy days is what I say. Have a duff is what homer said! It's all good. We'll get they result next week. They'll have to be perfect against us and as long as we have no more fucking injures, we'll be dancing our way to Kiev next Wednesday night.

"Lovren will get panned for that header but otherwise I thought he had a good game."

Seems churlish to complain after a 5-2 win in a semi-final, but Lovren still has at least one brain fart in him every game. Apart from the missed header he took a swipe at a Roma player in the first half that could have been a pen if the player had gone down. He headed against the bar from a free header 6 yards out. A minute later again a free header and he headed at the keeper instead of back across goal. I reckon we can find someone better.

Other than that (and the Oxo injury), we ran riot for 70 minutes. Better finishing from Mane, Wijnaldum and my friend Dejan and we should have been into double figures.

Slightly concerned that we seem to make it harder for ourselves than we need to - WBA, tonight, wrapping up top 4- but hey, lets enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 1

Shut the fuck up you stupid cunt. We're going to one of the most hostile arenas in world football and trying to do with half a midfield what Barcelona couldn't with the best team on the planet.

I really don't think Barca are that anymore Stronts

Mo coming off isnt the reason the other 11 players couldn't manage to see the game out and stop us conceding.

True, but taking him off had the same effect as West Brom, it allows the opposition to push up further without fear of Mo flying in behind them. That puts pressure on the team that could be avoided.

If we have to manage Mo’s time then replace him with another speed merchant.

I’m made up with a three goal lead as they’ll have to come out and attack us and we’ll catch them out. But 5 nil would have crushed them.

Shut the fuck up you stupid cunt. We're going to one of the most hostile arenas in world football and trying to do with half a midfield what Barcelona couldn't with the best team on the planet.

Attention seeking wanker , go to bed dickhead