You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Bournemouth 0 (Apr 14 2018)

tlw content

bournemouthreport2.jpg

This was great. Considering the week we’d had there had to be a danger that we’d suffer a bit of a hangover and make hard work of it against Bournemouth. I knew inside five minutes that wasn’t going to be the case though.

The lads were right at it from the start and didn’t let up until they got a little leggy in the last ten minutes and Bournemouth finally created a couple of chances. And even then they sucked it up and went again, shutting it down at the back and scoring another goal at the other end. It was a brilliant display all things considered and it's no wonder Klopp was positively beaming afterwards. 

Bournemouth have been doing really well since the turn of the year and they’re no pushovers. I think they played pretty well considering, as most teams would have been completely blown away by us in this kind of form. They hung in there though, and credit to Nathan Ake who really had his hands full with Mo as he was usually left isolated one on one against him. He did better than most would in that situation. 

Salah should have scored in the first few minutes from a brilliant cross by Trent, but he couldn’t quite divert the ball inside the post. He also had a tame shot saved by the keeper after being fed once again by the lively young full back. Alexander-Arnold's passing and crossing was on another level all day. He's taken a massive leap forward the last couple of weeks and looks a legitimate star now. There are stars all over the team though. 

In between those two chances Trent created for Salah, Mané had given us the lead when he scored at the second attempt after Begovic had saved his initial header. Nice ball in by Hendo, who was brilliant in the first half. The skipper was everywhere and his passing was crisp and positive, always trying to get us on the front foot. 

Some of the football in the first half was terrific but it was when we didn’t have the ball that we were most impressive I thought. Bournemouth are a side who like to get the ball down and play football but they just couldn’t do it because our lads swarmed all over them every time they had it. 

Klopp was raving afterwards about the counter pressing. He’s the expert of course, but even untrained eyes like mine could see how good it was. Bournemouth weren’t in the game at all and Karius was a spectator. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

Up early Dave?

Bobby scoring was the icing on the cake. Really wanted him to get one.

Yeah the atmosphere was deffo flat early in the second half.

I felt Mo had been a bit naughty a couple of times when better options were available to him than he chose. Great to see him score though and what a fucking goal. 

Thought Robbo was a bit subdued and I wondered whether he was a bit knackered. Wijnaldum didn't blow me away. Everyone else was great. 

Credit to Bournemouth too. Never stopped trying to play football. Really good that. Nice to see Jordon get a good reception too bless him. What must that feel like? Once part of our team and now, subbed by Bournemouth at Anfield. Ouch.

Oh and next time answer your phone, knob.

• Upvote 1

Somebody is going to pay silly money for Ake at some point in the next couple of years. I wouldn’t mind if it was us. I think he’d be great here.

I felt a bit nervous about Mo getting a bit greedy. The last thing we want is the lads getting annoyed at each other and I was getting that feeling on Saturday. I think if they all sat down though they’d take Mo being a bit selfish in these games just to put Kane in his box. He’s going to bag 3/4 in one game before the end of the season so it Mo wants it he needs to keep it up.

In the ground though you could tell every single fan wanted him to score even if that meant putting other players out. After he scored he was back to normal playing people in which was good to see and the front 3 all grabbed one so no harm done!

• Upvote 1

A week or so ago I was not too bothered about the Golden Boot; after Mr Kane's antics last week, I really want Mo to win it. Preferably beating the 31 mark in the process (after satdee he has scored in more matches than anyone else in a 38 game season).

For me, that has added to the edge and maybe what you saw when he scored.

• Upvote 1

Up early Dave?

Bobby scoring was the icing on the cake. Really wanted him to get one.

Yeah the atmosphere was deffo flat early in the second half.

I felt Mo had been a bit naughty a couple of times when better options were available to him than he chose. Great to see him score though and what a fucking goal. 

Thought Robbo was a bit subdued and I wondered whether he was a bit knackered. Wijnaldum didn't blow me away. Everyone else was great. 

Credit to Bournemouth too. Never stopped trying to play football. Really good that. Nice to see Jordon get a good reception too bless him. What must that feel like? Once part of our team and now, subbed by Bournemouth at Anfield. Ouch.

Oh and next time answer your phone, knob.

Surprised you were unimpressed by Gorge.

One of today’s rags claimed he had 100% passing accuracy.

A rare achievement for a midfield player.

• Upvote 1

Well said with the Mo comments Dave. Felt a bit different against Bournemouth. Partly it was Mo trying to do too much on a few occasions, and I think Klopp will have a quiet word. But also it was partly the Harry Kane situation, and you sensed his teammates definitely wanted Mo to score a couple to put Kane back in his box. But then the other thing, as you pointed out, is Mo’s burgeoning stature in the game. That is mostly a very good thing, but it could conceivably become a distraction.

I think Mo’s humility, plus Klopp’s ‘team first’ ethic, will keep the potential downside in check. I look at a team like Real Madrid, and while Ronaldo is obviously a cracking player, I wonder how many of his teammates are a bit less than what they should and could be, to accommodate him?

I’m not saying we’ve got that sort of situation brewing here, but there was a small sign of something being a bit different against Bournemouth, and I think Klopp will have a word.

Besides that, everyone is doing well, and a nice restful week this week will hopefully recharge the batteries for another push.

I mentioned Ake a while ago as someone we should get, once he left Chelsea. I think he’s a good defender, athletic too, which is what the modern game needs, and getting better all the time. He’s better than Bournemouth.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention in the report, but aside from Mo's goal the highlight of the day was the "There's only one James Milner" chant from the Kop.

Not only was it well deserved and not before time, but it was just a no frills, basic chant that it couldn't have been any more apt for Milner.

• Upvote 2

Great report as usual, Dave. I too thought Ake was outstanding - especially as he played 75 mins on a yellow card. Ox was MOM as he was consistently threatening all game. Ever since he's been a regular starter (i.e. since Can's injury) there's been a steady improvement in all parts of his game.

• Upvote 1

The difference between Liverpool and Tottenham. Liverpool players are trying to set each other up for goals. At Tottenham Harry Kane is stealing his own teammates' goals. 

Just noticed that Harry Claim has only 2 assists in the PL compared to 9 from Mo.

• Upvote 1